Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman (#570-611) (spoilers)

Re: Fantastic Four #570+ (Hickman/Eaglesham) Spoilers.

Also...not a big fan of the trade dress. It's too 70s. Blech.
Hopefully it's just for the 70th Anniversary Marvel is doing, so it won't be forever.

I don't particularly care for him saying things like "Cool" though. :roll:
Agreed. Coming from him it's just bad.

Just read the third and final part of "Solve Everything".

Really very interesting. I liked it a great deal. I'll be sticking around and picking this up, I think. It had all the right tones to make it feel like a proper trip through the crazy Marvel Universe. It felt... Earth X-y, if that makes sense. I liked it.

The first arc was decent but I think the upcoming stuff is going to be a lot better. Secret Atlantean cities, spaceship planets, Moloid civil wars... that's the Fantastic Four I want to read.

The first arc was decent but I think the upcoming stuff is going to be a lot better. Secret Atlantean cities, spaceship planets, Moloid civil wars... that's the Fantastic Four I want to read.
Excellent. I can't wait for that.

I enjoyed the first arc, though. Art & writing were both great.

tumblr_ktt77zmCYi1qzla78o1_500.png

:D

I read #573. I'm definitely adding this to my pull list. It's wonderfully bizarre and exciting. I love that #573 is a one-off issue. It's not anything amazing. The concept is rather dull and it's a kinda bizarre way to just get rid of Millar's run but because it was just one issue and not dragged out, it's rather enjoyable. What's more, is it me, or is Franklin making it up?

Regardless, the thing about Hickman's run is the bizarre wonder of the over-the-top science in it. Whereas some writers just use bombastic keywords to make it sound incredible (Mark Millar does this a lot, but so do Grant Morrison and Warren Ellis), Hickman retains a level of poetry that gives it meaning. Instead of treating it like top trumps and random word generators, there's an element of "science as metaphor for life" which is kinda what sci-fi is all about. The idea of a spire so tall people jump off it and are swept into a black hole as a form of defying nature, is rather compelling, and it does what it needs to: creates the backdrop of a desperate world. Inverting life and death. And there was that whole "The cost of solving everything is everything". These kinda philosophical conundrums that make it compelling.

I'm sincerely impressed, and I'm very glad to be so. I hope this continues as well as it has begun.

When I read it I thought it was merely him making up a story.

Though his stories do tend to become real.

Hickman retains a level of poetry that gives it meaning. Instead of treating it like top trumps and random word generators, there's an element of "science as metaphor for life" which is kinda what sci-fi is all about. The idea of a spire so tall people jump off it and are swept into a black hole as a form of defying nature, is rather compelling, and it does what it needs to: creates the backdrop of a desperate world. Inverting life and death. And there was that whole "The cost of solving everything is everything". These kinda philosophical conundrums that make it compelling.

:sure:

i have no idea what you just said.

I have a random word generator programme. I just give it a few parameters and it writes this **** for me. I think I used the "Pretentious" and "Academic" filters at their highest settings.

I have a random word generator programme. I just give it a few parameters and it writes this **** for me. I think I used the "Pretentious" and "Academic" filters at their highest settings.

Your smug avatar just makes it worse.

your random word generator programme apparently doesn't find itself very poetic.

You'd understand him if you heard him with his sexy accent that wins over even Doom.

To be fair even speaking the language of Doom leaves some of Basspeak to the imagination. It's always quite a conundrum.

So the most recent issue was pretty good but the art was really fugly at some parts, also
Franklin got his powers back!

So the most recent issue was pretty good but the art was really fugly at some parts, also

COOL.

I'ma gonna hafta get caught up on this book.

will-the-fantastic-four-survive-201.jpg

Awesome, I see a baby Annihilus there, I hope the FF make a visit to Nova and GotG territory for a little while, it would be nice to see Hickman's take on the cosmic MU before he dives in with Shield.

I'm confuzzled. I read 573 the other day - the most recent issue I could find - and nothing like that ^ happened.

Also - Eaglesham is still on the book? He didn't draw 573.

I'm confuzzled. I read 573 the other day - the most recent issue I could find - and nothing like that ^ happened.

Also - Eaglesham is still on the book? He didn't draw 573.

The Franklin's birthday issue? It happened at the very end.

EDIT: I just checked, it's issue 574 that I read.

Latest posts

Back