Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman (#570-611) (spoilers)

Re: Fantastic Four #570+ (Hickman/Eaglesham) Spoilers.

Yeah...that's the only real drawback about collecting in trades. Most of the time I'm glad because most letters columns are terrible, corny, and a waste of space. But when they're good it would be nice to have them in the collected editions.

So, I'm reading the first Hickman trade and loving it.

Fantastic Four (the book) is at it's best when using mind-blowing scientific concepts but makes them secondary to the family - Hickman gets it. Not many writers do. I thought Millar had a good grasp on that too. Hickman gives us this amazing concept of dozens of Reeds from across the multiverse, each giving up their family life to "solve everything" and some of them sacrificing themselves in the process, but manages to make it all about Sue and her acceptance of Reed going off and not including the family.

I don't think he quite has Ben right (at least not as far as I am). Ben seems kind of emotionally weak - the part when he and Johnny were planning their trip and he had the line something like, "aw, you'd probably leave me for some girl the first chance you get." It was kind of mopey and doesn't jibe with the Ben that, say, Mark Waid wrote which was a lot stronger.

Still, this is so great.

Hickman's FF is currently one of the best Marvel titles.

I'm really really looking forward to the next two issues, "Universal Inhumans" and "The Cult of the Negative Zone"

diamond-retail-summit-reveals-new-books-20100415094424154.jpg

Ominous.

Oh Lord. I remember in the 90s there was a story where Doom "killed" Reed and it was the Fantastic 3 for a while. It even had the word "Four" in the logo crossed out on the cover with a hastily scrawled "THREE" replacing it.

I believe it was Tom DeFalco, too. Just to show how retardedly stupid the story was. ZOMG WROST WRITER EVAR

Which is not to say I'd expect the story to be as bad as anything Tom DeFalco wrote just because the subject seems similar. It just evoked some bad memories.

I love this title and I never want it to end and I want to join the Cult of the Negative Zone and if they won't have me I'll join the Light Brigade and fight mer-men and it will be super awesome because I get to do it and terrigenesize or exodize or antigenezise myself and that would be super cool.

I love this title and I never want it to end and I want to join the Cult of the Negative Zone and if they won't have me I'll join the Light Brigade and fight mer-men and it will be super awesome because I get to do it and terrigenesize or exodize or antigenezise myself and that would be super cool.

Neat.

I loved Reed's speech at the beginning of 579, and the Future Foundation. Also, I was kind of hoping we were done with Nu Wold, but I guess not.

Last edited:

Hickman's Reed Richards is amazing.

I love this comic.

I agree with both of you.

For the first time ever, Reed Richards is actually an interesting character. I actually want to see him have more lectures.

That's right. I want, in a kooky, sci-fi superhero comic, for it to be about lectures.

This is how awesome Hickman is.

I'm hopping in on the Reed Richards is amazing train... Hickman's got a handle on this character like no other writer I think

I'm starting to realize that the Fantastic Four really are the heart of the Marvel Universe... In the sci-fi landscape of these comics, there is nobody better loved and respected than Reed. Virtually everyone looks up to him and respects his judgment... It's always Captain America who gets the comparisons to Superman, and certainly he operates as a symbol in the same way... But Marvel isn't about symbols like the DCU is. Reed is the patriarch of the Marvel Universe, the smartest man in a world built on science, not magic.

And Susan is Marvel's Wonder Woman. A brilliant mother, friend, and businesswoman. In fact, she's a little better than Wonder Woman because she's that much more human. Certainly, it took a LONG time for her character to develop this way, but think about it. If Sue Richards told an angry Wolverine to back down, he would in an instant, probably with a "Yes ma'am."

I think Hickman understands that, and that's part of what makes this series work so well.

I just read The List for Dark Reign and skimmed the first issue. I gotta say... I'm not digging it. :/

Latest posts

Back