Fantastic Four Reboot

Re: Fantasic Four Reboot

I'm gonna call it now....

Jon Hamm as Mr.Fantastic.

Screw you....watch Mad Men and you'll know this awesomeness.

Dude. I so called that. Well, actually, I posted that Dr. Doom should be played by Jon Hamm. Then I realized he was a better fit for Mr. Fantastic, so I erased that part of my post, but held off on posting about him as Reed until I could find a good foil for him in Doom.

But YES! ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

YES!

:rockon:

That's exactly what I'd like to see. Hence the Gilliam angle. And the set pieces should be enormous, fantastic things. I mean think about it. The Baxter Building. Latveria. An Underground Empire. An alien the size of a large metropolis.

Exactly! It's the FANTASTIC Four not the "Scientifically-Grounded" Four

Stephen Colbert is Mr. Fantastic god damnit.

He was Professor Richard Impossible too.

:shock:

Yes. Stephen Colbert would be AWESOME. I can so imagine him as Reed, smoking a pipe, saying, "Well, you see Johnny, Terminus is emanating dangerous levels of radiation on a wavelength in the range of 10 to 0.01 nanometers, or X-Rays, which poses a danger to the innocent people of Manhattan. Luckily I have an portable alchemical machine in the Fantasticar."

Do you guys ever think maybe you watch too much television and movies? This thread has quickly morphed into a World Series of Pop Culture episode (I watch too much TV too).

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Go home!

Bass said:
"Well, you see Johnny, Terminus is emanating dangerous levels of radiation on a wavelength in the range of 10 to 0.01 nanometers, or X-Rays, which poses a danger to the innocent people of Manhattan. Luckily I have an portable alchemical machine in the Fantasticar."

I don't care to see Colbert as Reed Richards, but that's the most awesome thing ever.

Last edited:

Yes. Stephen Colbert would be AWESOME. I can so imagine him as Reed, smoking a pipe, saying, "Well, you see Johnny, Terminus is emanating dangerous levels of radiation on a wavelength in the range of 10 to 0.01 nanometers, or X-Rays, which poses a danger to the innocent people of Manhattan. Luckily I have an portable alchemical machine in the Fantasticar."

Ha. Hilarious.

But I don't see him as Reed. Sure it would be hilarious as a sketch on SNL or something...but not on screen.

But to get the thread back on topic a bit more...

I think a reboot needs to be more along the line of the insane stuff like Millar has been doing on 616/Ultimate Fantastic Four. I need to track down Waid's run on it to see what the hype is.

I think my only gripe is that Fox is doing this instead of Marvel Studios.

To me it's like they're saying, "Oh! Marvel wants to take back all their characters and give there films the proper respect the properties deserve that really tie-into their comic counterparts instead of what blockbuster we sling out in a year? Hurry....reboot the series so we can get more crap outta it and then when and if Marvel ever gets the rights back, people will be too burnt out on the reboot stuff to see their films."
It reads more to me like, Oh so Marvel wants to see its own properties treated with respect and seriousness and actually make watchable movies out of them? Well then, we'll show them... we'll do exactly that... which is what we should have done the first time around.

"Of course, we don't really mean that, what we mean is we're just going to copy The Dark Knight and Iron Man because its a working formula."

It's just stupid on so many levels. First of all, Tom Rothman just cranked those movies out without thinking about any long-term strategy with those films, which is exactly what Marvel is trying --- and I don't mean just Avengers, but Joey Q has been up front about how the new movies are also meant to have a merchandising strategy --- and second, he's completely missing the point in thinking that milking a property rights properly is about looking at The Dark Knight. Also, he's implictly suggesting that his entire tenure at Fox so far has never been about treating those properties seriously. I mean there's a Daredevil movie and no Daredevil games, TV show, cartoon, toys and action figures?

Also, let me remind you that Bryan Singer treating X-Men with respect, happened because of Bill Mechanic running FOX, an executive with moxie and box office savvy. Spider-Man happened because of Laura Ziskin, a producer with balls and intelligence. Tom Rothman has a continuing history of failing how to make a wide-appeal fantasy/sci-fi blockbuster work and make money across multiple revenue streams.

Lastly, Fantastic Four's problem wasn't that it didn't take itself seriously. It's problem was that it took itself too seriously in spite of being ludicrous in itself. If you're going to be ludicrous, at least own up to it.

It reads more to me like, Oh so Marvel wants to see its own properties treated with respect and seriousness and actually make watchable movies out of them? Well then, we'll show them... we'll do exactly that... which is what we should have done the first time around.

"Of course, we don't really mean that, what we mean is we're just going to copy The Dark Knight and Iron Man because its a working formula."

It's just stupid on so many levels. First of all, Tom Rothman just cranked those movies out without thinking about any long-term strategy with those films, which is exactly what Marvel is trying --- and I don't mean just Avengers, but Joey Q has been up front about how the new movies are also meant to have a merchandising strategy --- and second, he's completely missing the point in thinking that milking a property rights properly is about looking at The Dark Knight. Also, he's implictly suggesting that his entire tenure at Fox so far has never been about treating those properties seriously. I mean there's a Daredevil movie and no Daredevil games, TV show, cartoon, toys and action figures?

Also, let me remind you that Bryan Singer treating X-Men with respect, happened because of Bill Mechanic running FOX, an executive with moxie and box office savvy. Spider-Man happened because of Laura Ziskin, a producer with balls and intelligence. Tom Rothman has a continuing history of failing how to make a wide-appeal fantasy/sci-fi blockbuster work and make money across multiple revenue streams.

Lastly, Fantastic Four's problem wasn't that it didn't take itself seriously. It's problem was that it took itself too seriously in spite of being ludicrous in itself. If you're going to be ludicrous, at least own up to it.

Ourchair speaks the truth

If they MUST steal a template, they shouldn't steal IRON MAN but STAR WARS. If only to have a good template for Doctor Doom.
You're deliberately playing on the notion that Doom was supposedly the inspiration for Darth Vader, aren't you? Clever boy.

I honestly think they should just steal Galaxy Quest's template, in the sense that nothing is too crazy to be shown in their film. I mean for God's sake Bluetooth controlled cybernetic mosquitoes and megalomaniacal space bats and mind controlling atomic clay and space-phasing apes WTF.

What would you guys want to see in a Fantastic Four reboot?

I would like a solid science fiction movie. It needs to be dramatic, like Sunshine, or Blade Runner, or even Watchmen for that matter, something that takes itself seriosly, so we as an audiance will take it seriosly. I think the elements are there, Ben turning into the Thing, Reed trying to cure him and lost in his own super-genius world, the sheer crazyness of being morphed into these "Superheroes". There needs to be something driving the movies other then special effects.... I don't know, I'm rambling, i need to let this sit and think on it...

Exactly what you said ourchair.

Realistic, serious-toned plotlines have no place in a film about imaginauts and interdimensional travelers. You need a Fantastic Four film to be just as ape****-over the top-crazy like Mark Millar's take on them.

I would like a solid science fiction movie. It needs to be dramatic, like Sunshine, or Blade Runner, or even Watchmen for that matter, something that takes itself seriosly, so we as an audiance will take it seriosly. I think the elements are there, Ben turning into the Thing, Reed trying to cure him and lost in his own super-genius world, the sheer crazyness of being morphed into these "Superheroes". There needs to be something driving the movies other then special effects.... I don't know, I'm rambling, i need to let this sit and think on it...
Despite consistently endorsing the "crazy as Jack Kirby's finest acid trip" angle, I am also in agreement with this.

I can remember that the first time I saw Sunshine in the theaters, what really grabbed me was how much attention Danny Boyle gave to the psychologically transformative effect of being out in space and/or staring at the sun. It reminded me of that little gem that Bendis kept throwing out --- but never really developing it --- about how the post-human condition has radical effects on psychology and our cognitive understanding of the world.

I wouldn't mind a Fantastic Four that acknowledges that Reed's malleable brain allows him to synthesize knowledge in unimaginable ways, about how evolution has massive implications on sociology ala Casey's First Family-style and having it handled with all the grace of those classic science fiction films from the late 70s and early 80s that in many ways films like Sunshine and the upcoming Moon seem to owe a lot to.

Despite consistently endorsing the "crazy as Jack Kirby's finest acid trip" angle, I am also in agreement with this.

I can remember that the first time I saw Sunshine in the theaters, what really grabbed me was how much attention Danny Boyle gave to the psychologically transformative effect of being out in space and/or staring at the sun. It reminded me of that little gem that Bendis kept throwing out --- but never really developing it --- about how the post-human condition has radical effects on psychology and our cognitive understanding of the world.

I wouldn't mind a Fantastic Four that acknowledges that Reed's malleable brain allows him to synthesize knowledge in unimaginable ways, about how evolution has massive implications on sociology ala Casey's First Family-style and having it handled with all the grace of those classic science fiction films from the late 70s and early 80s that in many ways films like Sunshine and the upcoming Moon seem to owe a lot to.

Tarkovsky's Solaris. That is all.

Yeah I heard they were gonna remake The Fantastic Four with new actors and all, but there's a chance they're gonna go ahead with the Silver Surfer spin-off, the same Silver Surfer from "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer". What do you think?

No. That's all I'm gonna say, there's no need to reboot this, it won't help the franchise at all, it will only cement Hollywood's in ability to make something right the first time or try to make something original. So, no.

I think the best way to reboot but not reboot is...

...make a TV show!

On the *shudder* SyFy network.

...with a Battlestar Galactica or Sarah Connor Chronicles budget (which costs less than you'd think)

Latest posts

Back