Fringe (Spoilers)

I'm loving this show. The whole atmosphere and characters are awesome.

More people should be discussing this and not Heroes. :shifty:

I love that that creepy guy is always coincidentally photographed at the scene of events. Like, someone is always there taking pictures and that guy just happens to show up in them. Either he's not very good at being covert or he's just an attention whore.

And I like this show, TOG, but I'd say Heroes is definitely better.

Also, Warren Ellis should be writing this show.

The second half of last night's episode was exceptionally good. LOST good. I went from a casual viewer/fan to full-blown "Fringe" g33k over the course of Walter's 3-minute plus monologue (which I'm so gonna use at an audition someday). Not surprisingly, the episode was written by Jeff Pinkner and JJ Abrams, so I knew it was going to improve on the previous episodes, but holy god did it really turn around at the end there. Much in the way that LOST's fourth episode, "Walkabout", set a high watermark for the series, pulled the rug out from under you with the last-minute reveal, and pretty much determined whether or not you were going to stick with the show for the long haul, "Fringe" displayed similar extraordinary qualities in the latter half of its fourth ep. For me, it's gone from a simply "meh" show to Tuesday's Must-Watch television.

Fringe, episodes 1-3: B/B-

Fringe, episode 4: A-

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, Project X2. I think it'd be interesting if you liked this installment less than the previous ones, 'cuz then you and I would pretty much have the opposite opinion when it comes to the show so far.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, Project X2. I think it'd be interesting if you liked this installment less than the previous ones, 'cuz then you and I would pretty much have the opposite opinion when it comes to the show so far.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely supports the theory that each episode surpasses the previous one.

The cylinder is scary. I still want to hear Walter's theories for what it is though. I presume it will show up again later on.

The Observer... who is he? What is he? Alien? Time traveller? Crazy government experiment? I hope he recurs frequently.

And now Agent Scott is back. Clone? Reincarnation?

I already love this show. It's fantastic. I hope it lasts a long time.

Fox is feeling fine about "Fringe," ordering a full season of the freshman series from creators J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.

The network has ordered nine additional episodes of the sci-fi thriller, for a total of 22. The Bad Robot/Warner Bros. TV-produced series has averaged a 4.2/11 in adults 18-49 and 10.7 million total viewers since bowing last month, making it the top-rated new show of the season to date in the key demographic.

"We're having a blast working on this show with this great team of producers," said Fox Entertainment President Kevin Reilly. "The series has really taken off creatively, and it's exciting to see that the audience is responding. We believe this is the first full season of many years to come."

:rockon:

This episode was the best so far, and it finally jumpstarted the series. I was beginning to fear it would end up being the 'weird thing of the week' storyline for too long. I liked that they finally put the major season arc on the forefront this time, and have Peter realize how significant his part is. I actually found it funny he commented about not knowing what his purpose was in the team, as this was noted by some critics, and the answer was on this episode.

The Observer would have also made a cool Ultimization of the Watcher, come to think of it. Heck, they probably only called him "the Observer" to avoid direct comparisons or something.

The Observer kicks ***.

Also: Walter Bishop's son is the most obnoxious character on TV today. If he died suddenly, the show would be instantly five times better than it is already.

Also: Walter Bishop's son is the most obnoxious character on TV today. If he died suddenly, the show would be instantly five times better than it is already.

My one gripe about the show too. Its Pacey from Dawson's Creek all over again, except now he's smart.

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally chuckle at Peter's one-liners, but Jackson has shown so far in his career he's only capable of playing overly sarcastic underachievers (at least those parts of his career I've seen). I don't want to see him die, I just want to see the writers learn to use the character's intelligence and wit in interesting ways which can really serve the story, instead of basically playing Dunham's sidekick (and Walter's lab assistant).

Anna Torv as Dunham is a bit too wooden as well, but thats beside the point.

I think as the show progresses my criticisms will be solved...the actors will be given a chance to really grow into their characters, and the writers will hopefully find unique and interesting ideas to utilize their characters to the fullest.

And I totally agree with Moonmaster that Warren Ellis should write for this show. Its in his preferred vein of science fiction, and the characters (Dunham and Peter) aren't too different than the main characters of Planetary (Strong chick...forgot her name, and Drummer...think that was his name). God, I would love to see an Ellis-penned Fringe episode. Guaranteed classic.

So I just watched the first episode. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but what was the deal with Agent Scott? Was he a corrupt FBI agent who was trying to cut a deal so that Steig could get a "Get Outta Jail" card?

So I just watched the first episode. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but what was the deal with Agent Scott? Was he a corrupt FBI agent who was trying to cut a deal so that Steig could get a "Get Outta Jail" card?

He was part of The Pattern. He's either working for people behind it, or a branch of them. God only knows really. I expect its something we'll hear about more later on.

Anyone else notice The Observer in previous episodes? A friend of mine mentioned a "Bald Guy" to me before I watched the Ghost network episode. He's on the train when they're searching for the handoff. I saw a bald guy in the background and though huh, but then after the first bit of The Observer episode I went back and paused the DVR and its definatly him. This makes me happy.

I'm not sure what's going on with Agent Scott in terms of this coming new episode but remember they've mentioned reanimation is possible if they respond within 6 hours of his death. When he was discovered and brought into Massive Dynamics the woman with the metal arm asked how long he had been dead. The person that wheeled him in mentioned he had been dead for five hours.

I'm loving this show. The whole atmosphere and characters are awesome.

More people should be discussing this and not Heroes. :shifty:

Agreed, especially about the atmosphere. At first I thought it was going to be just like our world but with random, stupidly advanced technology. Then came the robotic arm reveal. I can't put my finger on why, but when that glove got peeled off, this show suddenly became ten times more interesting to me. I guess I just like the feeling that this is very much not our world. It's a neat, cyberpunk-ish parallel reality.

I love that that creepy guy is always coincidentally photographed at the scene of events. Like, someone is always there taking pictures and that guy just happens to show up in them. Either he's not very good at being covert or he's just an attention whore.

Is he trying to change the events by observing them?

I guess now would be a time to reference the Uncertainty Principle, except that that has nothing at all to do with anything on a macroscopic level, and I refuse to sink to that stupid ****ing false analogy.

Loved last night's episode. Also, as for Agent Scott, from the previews for the next episode it seemed to imply he was either a hallucination or "ghost" that only Olivia can see.

I kinda got a Baltar/Six vibe.

My one gripe about the show too. Its Pacey from Dawson's Creek all over again, except now he's smart.

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally chuckle at Peter's one-liners, but Jackson has shown so far in his career he's only capable of playing overly sarcastic underachievers (at least those parts of his career I've seen). I don't want to see him die, I just want to see the writers learn to use the character's intelligence and wit in interesting ways which can really serve the story, instead of basically playing Dunham's sidekick (and Walter's lab assistant).

I think that was kind of the point of his role in the latest episode and from now on he's going to have a personal stake and a more proactive role.

I'm not sure what's going on with Agent Scott in terms of this coming new episode but remember they've mentioned reanimation is possible if they respond within 6 hours of his death. When he was discovered and brought into Massive Dynamics the woman with the metal arm asked how long he had been dead. The person that wheeled him in mentioned he had been dead for five hours.

I was under the impression that the 6 hours thing was only how long they could use the "psychic synchronization" to talk with him. My guess is that his body wasn't reanimated and the Massive Dynamics people downloaded his brainwaves.

I thought it was mentioned that the six hour dealy was because someone was dying. Scott was dying, of course, but wasn't that close at that point. He had been saved. The car accident made it different because he did indeed actually die. It'll be interesting, but I think I may be on to something. I'm calling that he's straight up alive.

By the way, I'm in the middle of the third episode and still haven't seen or heard about this Observer... Did I miss something?

Last edited:
I thought it was mentioned that the six hour dealy was because someone was dying. Scott was dying, of course, but wasn't that close at that point. He had been saved. The car accident made it different because he did indeed actually die. It'll be interesting, but I think I may be on to something. I'm calling that he's straight up alive.

By the way, I'm in the middle of the third episode and still haven't seen or heard about this Observer... Did I miss something?

You missed a few of his Chekhov's Gun-style cameos, but you'll be able to understand the next episode, when his role in the plot is explained. I didn't catch him at all in the first three, either.

In the second episode, he's there at the hospital. In the third, he's on the train.

Latest posts

Back