Hollywood Stock Exchange

I'm finally in the positives and I'm hot on Houde's heels. I'm on the fast track to the top baby!!!

Sure rub it in. :lol:

Yesterday I went from -0.32% and thought YES GET IN THERE MY SON. I was on my way out of - then today I'm down to -2.52% :x

I was way, way down just a few hours ago, to the point I was below my original two million. But a few deft moves paid off and now, not only have I erased my debt which at one point was more than 30,000, but I've actually gained another 10,000. Things are looking up for me.

"If these trends continue. . . Ayyy!"

"If these trends continue. . . Ayyy!"

NO NEVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

Don't you ever watch t.v? When someone says things like "Now if things just stay like this" or "what's the worst that can happen." That is when when everything goes wrong.

you cursed yourself:lol:

I didn't curse myself. I was cursed by Disco Stu!

stu.png

Well, I don't expect huge gains or loses at this point in the game, the ones I choose were movies that have release dates in the winter quarter of this year. I'm trying a buy em low, sell em high tatic.

Well, I don't expect huge gains or loses at this point in the game, the ones I choose were movies that have release dates in the winter quarter of this year. I'm trying a buy em low, sell em high tatic.

Your a sneaky little scientist ain't you? :lol:

So, apparently things don't work exactly like I thought and if you bought stock in something at one price then buy more stock in it you don't have two sets of stock for it at different prices, it all averages out.
If I'm not mistaken, it STILL works out mathematically as if you bought two sets of stock at different prices. I'd compute it right now just to verify, but I just woke up and am not in the best frame of mind to do that. In any case, the use of an 'averaged' figure is probably just to simplify things at the spreadsheet level.

Joe Kalicki said:
We'll get them. The minute I let a Texan, a Philippino and a mad scientist beat me at a fake movie stock game is the day I retire.

From the fake movie stock industry.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry about it. If you recall, I had a really bad start earlier this week. I merely leap-frogged forward through some really careful investments.

One of the best things I did, was that I bought 3000 shares on British actress Lena Headey (Gossip, Imagine Me & You; HSX-symbol LHEAD) because she was available at a relatively lower price and I was betting on all the buzz for 300 (and its potential box office) to really give a big push to her value. And it did.

I actually have relatively less interest in that movie than everyone else around me, but it seems that the trailers and the Frank Miller association is getting everyone --- non-comic fans included --- talking, so I think anyone who invested in that film early on was well rewarded.

The other thing I've been doing is placing small investments on a LOT of actors who are attached to big-name films, but have consistently smaller share values. Lena Headey (mentioned above) is a good example. James Franco (JAFRA) of Spider-Man 3 is another.

Mathematically speaking, actors who do smaller films on a regular basis between blockbuster films will probably have their share value catapulted as soon as the film completes its first four weeks of box office (which is when the film gets de-listed from HSX and computed into an actor's TAG).

This isn't to say that a lower-profile actor is necessarily a 'bad investment' just because he has a consistently middle-range share value. What it usually means is that he has a stable share value that from time to time, gets a price-hike anomaly from being attached to a blockbuster film.

This is why it is not exactly a safe bet to place money on big name stars, because they experience much sharper adjustments in share price between movies. Also, the cost of entry is so high that the day to day earnings (or losses) are statistically minute.

For example, if you paid $100,000 for a 1000 shares of Big Name X, a price adjustment of $1 per share nets you a 1% increase. However, investing in Character Actor Y at $20,000 for the same amount of shares means that a $1 increase for the day is a %5 gain.

Wow, over the course of the last twelve hours, I've gone from fifth place to second.

wheeeeeee!

Wow, over the course of the last twelve hours, I've gone from fifth place to second.

wheeeeeee!
What's your username?

I used to be at the bottom of my league, below Houde, McCheese and Willverine but as Kalicki pointed out, I recently shot to the top.

And damn it, right after talking about my strategy Simon Pegg (SPEGG), Marisa Tomei (MTOME) and James Franco (JAFRA) went down, making me lose 20% of the gains I had totaled today. It's okay, I'm still in the black.

I'm 8th only one behind me is projectx2 and I can safely say he'll overtake me in a day or two.

If I'm not mistaken, it STILL works out mathematically as if you bought two sets of stock at different prices. I'd compute it right now just to verify, but I just woke up and am not in the best frame of mind to do that. In any case, the use of an 'averaged' figure is probably just to simplify things at the spreadsheet level.

It probably does work out somehow, but it feels like it it really messed me up. Something messed me up anyway.

Don't worry about it. If you recall, I had a really bad start earlier this week. I merely leap-frogged forward through some really careful investments.

One of the best things I did, was that I bought 3000 shares on British actress Lena Headey (Gossip, Imagine Me & You; HSX-symbol LHEAD) because she was available at a relatively lower price and I was betting on all the buzz for 300 (and its potential box office) to really give a big push to her value. And it did.

I actually have relatively less interest in that movie than everyone else around me, but it seems that the trailers and the Frank Miller association is getting everyone --- non-comic fans included --- talking, so I think anyone who invested in that film early on was well rewarded.

The other thing I've been doing is placing small investments on a LOT of actors who are attached to big-name films, but have consistently smaller share values. Lena Headey (mentioned above) is a good example. James Franco (JAFRA) of Spider-Man 3 is another.

Mathematically speaking, actors who do smaller films on a regular basis between blockbuster films will probably have their share value catapulted as soon as the film completes its first four weeks of box office (which is when the film gets de-listed from HSX and computed into an actor's TAG).

This isn't to say that a lower-profile actor is necessarily a 'bad investment' just because he has a consistently middle-range share value. What it usually means is that he has a stable share value that from time to time, gets a price-hike anomaly from being attached to a blockbuster film.

This is why it is not exactly a safe bet to place money on big name stars, because they experience much sharper adjustments in share price between movies. Also, the cost of entry is so high that the day to day earnings (or losses) are statistically minute.

For example, if you paid $100,000 for a 1000 shares of Big Name X, a price adjustment of $1 per share nets you a 1% increase. However, investing in Character Actor Y at $20,000 for the same amount of shares means that a $1 increase for the day is a %5 gain.

300 is killing for me. I bought it when it was going down and still in the 90s, now it's up to 106.

See, that's how I'm buying actors too. I got Topher Grace and Bill Nighy. Nighy was pretty expensive and he's a loss so far, but I know Pirates is going to pay off for him, and I'm anticipating good things for Hot Fuzz.

Another thing to consider is release schedule. If there's nothing that looks good around a particular week or two, pick the one you think'll be best. Very few movies are number one at the box office more than a week or two at a time. That's part of the reason I bought Hot Fuzz and The Nanny Diaries (and 300 for that matter).

Hell yes, I just rocketed up... :)

Well I slipped a bit down over the past few days, no big deal... most of my movie stocks are long-term investments (Indy 4, Captain America, Watchmen, etc.). I'm waiting for the hype machines for those films to start up.

My StarBonds are doing pretty good actually, so I'm not too worried on that front. Joaquin Phoenix is making some gains and I'm sure that will continue once he gets another film on the big screen.

SSJ, did you ever post your username? I've scoured this thread and haven't found it yet.

Latest posts

Back