Holy Terror by Frank Miller

Re: Batman vs Al Qaeda - By Frank Miller

"It's been a long time since heroes were used in comics as pure propaganda. As Miller reminded, "Superman punched out Hitler. So did Captain America. That's one of the things they're there for."

"These are our folk heroes," Miller said. "It just seems silly to chase around the Riddler when you've got Al Qaeda out there."

I want to see this.

well at first i was like "eh", but now I'm still like "eh". But I might thumb through at the store. After Captain A really did punch out Hitler.

I think it would be interesting seeing Bats try to foil a terrorist attempt on Gotham. I just hope they dont stereotype them, make the villains more interesting. Not just "we hate America" but give them a reason/motivation to do what they do. and not have them be a bunch of baby-eating murders. Then it would be a good book

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Miller is being intentionally serious and silly in this ordeal. As for his comments, that's called self-marketing. Bendis and Ellis do it all the time.

ourchair said:
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Miller is being intentionally serious and silly in this ordeal.

Right. Reading the interview, my thought is that the only way this is even remotely good or interesting is if it's a spoof. His comments make it sound like it's not a spoof, but then again that might just be part of the spoof.

*head explodes*

UltimateE said:
Right. Reading the interview, my thought is that the only way this is even remotely good or interesting is if it's a spoof. His comments make it sound like it's not a spoof, but then again that might just be part of the spoof.

*head explodes*
Yes the time of RANDOM has come. I NOW CLAIMS THIS SITE AS MY OWN, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! BOW BEFORE YOUR BETTER, PUNY MORTALS!!!

Last edited:

random said:
Yes the time of RANDOM has come. I NOW CLAIMS THIS SITE AS MY OWN, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! BOW BEFORE YOUR BETTER PUNY MORTALS!!!

I never bow to the better puny mortals.

Not that there are any.

Yeah this has been known about for years.

Tenner says MWF loves it.

I'm more than willing to bet this is a spoof. Miller has this thing with INCREDIBLY deadpan humor. Plus, they marketed Dark Knight Strikes Again as something serious too.

UltimateE said:

*head explodes*
Right. And it's not surprising since Miller is known for writing some crazy tongue-in-cheek politically offensive material. You see snippets of this sensibility in his previous Batman work, and its also visible in Sin City and Tales to Offend

This is pathetic. It's like these writers are happy about all this Al Qaeda business, as it just helps them get more money by writing stories that we don't really need.

I didn't think DC would let Miller write a Batman book ever again due to All-Crap. :?

ProjectX2 said:
This is pathetic. It's like these writers are happy about all this Al Qaeda business, as it just helps them get more money by writing stories that we don't really need.
Actually, it's a bit unsurprising that Miller is doing this since a lot of his stories are filled with social reactionism to current events. He loves showing self-important newspeople and McLaughlin Group-esque panels talking about hot button topics in the worlds of the comics he writes.

So as far as I'm concerned this is Miller writing a reaction about reactions to terrorism. And having a laugh by using Batman to tell that story. Which is also not surprising since Miller doesn't try to make his Batman a very flatteringly admirable figure.

ProjectX2 said:
I didn't think DC would let Miller write a Batman book ever again due to All-Crap. :?
I don't like All-Star either, but I believe the sales figures would suggest otherwise.

Miller recently gave an interview in which he implied that DC was dragging its feet on the project. He implied it was out of fear of offending, or out of a desire to be PC, etc...

I have to wonder if all the "usual suspects" who get in a lather over perceived "censorship" will take up THIS case. Somehow, I doubt it...

Shadow

This is the worst idea for a comic book of all time.

I'd rather read a thousand New Avengers/Transformers than this.

DC would be wise never to publish it.

This is the worst idea for a comic book of all time.

I'd rather read a thousand New Avengers/Transformers than this.

DC would be wise never to publish it.

Did you know theres never been a Transformers Comic with Spider-man in his classic red and blues? They crossed over in issue 3 of the original Marvel series and he was in Black back then too.

Did you know theres never been a Transformers Comic with Spider-man in his classic red and blues? They crossed over in issue 3 of the original Marvel series and he was in Black back then too.

That's a fascinating, fascinating fact.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back