IGN's Top 100 videogames of all time

I'm surprised a few of those beat Super Mario 3. Like Final Fantasy Tactics (Which is my favorite FF game, but I didn't realize that opinion was shared).

However, there's still a three Zelda games that aren't on there that should be. Ocarina (Which is probably going to be in the top 3), Wind Waker, and Link to the Past (Which will probably be in the top 10).

that happened to me!

stupid battletoads

Never mention that game ever again. For it was put on this earth by some ancient evil for the sole purpose of mass child suicide.

Last edited:
Wind Waker is that the cartoon one on Game Cube? If so that's the only Zelda game I like

Wind Waker is that the cartoon one on Game Cube? If so that's the only Zelda game I like

Yes, it is. I think it'll be somewhere in the top 30. The other Zelda games, though, I think will be left out. Twilight Princess, while a lot of fun, finally made me realize that Zelda was becoming a bit stale. Zelda II is considered the dark horse of the franchise. Phantom Hourglass is too new to tell if it will stand the test of time. Hell, I'm surprised Link's Awakening made the list.

I do have to say, though, that I think one new game should make this list. Super Mario Galaxy. I think, years from now, people are going to look back on it and say it was just as influential, if not more so, than Super Mario 64. Hell, I'd go as far as to say that Galaxy is probably the most influential Mario game since 3. It probably won't make the list, as it's only a week old, but I feel it's the only game in the past year or so that I can see becoming a classic. Maybe Bioshock. Maybe. Time will tell I suppose.

i just wanted to post the criteria that IGN is using

Eligible games had to have been released no later than December 31, 2006 (perspective is a good thing)

A number of factors were taken into consideration when selecting a winner: How good the game was compared to others of its time, its overall game design, how well it stands up over the years, how influential it has been in the realm of gaming and just plain how much fun we had playing it are all points for contention.

The list is comprised of single, stand-alone titles and doesn't include compilations, expansion packs or add-ons.

Titles with multiple editions such as collector's boxes, gold editions or direct re-releases have been consolidated into one single entry, with the edition deemed most deserving taking precedence.

Updated versions of original titles were only included on the list if they were significantly different from their predecessors.

Ever read the things they cut/didn't have time to put in from KOTOR 2?
I read about that as well.

In all honesty, I actually prefer KOTOR 2 over KOTOR 1. KOTOR 1 has more polish, less bugs and a clearer narrative (even if you account for some of the missing exposition in KOTOR 2 and the dramatic ambitions intended for the NPCs), but KOTOR 2 simply pleases me more because it gives a more sophisticated analysis of the morality and ethics of Force sensitives that you just don't see very often.

A lot of people I know 'hated' Kreia, but I loved her simply because she was very critical about your actions. Whenever you did the obvious 'good' thing or 'bad' thing, she was always there to question the moral underpinings of your actions.

She pretty much came close to looking at the player and saying, "Why did you do that? Did you really think about what you did?" What is good and bad is often taken for granted --- especially if you play a lot of CRPGs --- and Kreia does a lot to challenge that.

Not for a long time since Ultima has a CRPG really questioned decision-making in CRPGs.

Starcraft is #11.

Windwaker is either not in or in or in the top 10, same with ALttP.

I'm surprised there's been no Marathon.

It's the game that made having a mac worthwhile if you were a kid, and it was one of the first shooters with a real story behind it, and a good one at that, and puzzles. And it's also the first appearance of Master Chief... too bad it didnt make the list (I dont think its necessarily top 10).

also, half-life 2 better be up there.

Last edited:
I read about that as well.

In all honesty, I actually prefer KOTOR 2 over KOTOR 1. KOTOR 1 has more polish, less bugs and a clearer narrative (even if you account for some of the missing exposition in KOTOR 2 and the dramatic ambitions intended for the NPCs), but KOTOR 2 simply pleases me more because it gives a more sophisticated analysis of the morality and ethics of Force sensitives that you just don't see very often.

A lot of people I know 'hated' Kreia, but I loved her simply because she was very critical about your actions. Whenever you did the obvious 'good' thing or 'bad' thing, she was always there to question the moral underpinings of your actions.

She pretty much came close to looking at the player and saying, "Why did you do that? Did you really think about what you did?" What is good and bad is often taken for granted --- especially if you play a lot of CRPGs --- and Kreia does a lot to challenge that.

Not for a long time since Ultima has a CRPG really questioned decision-making in CRPGs.

Utterly true. And I loved Kreia. The only new NPCs I didn't like were Anton and the wookie (to the point that my dark siders would start off light to get Mara instead). I liked KOTOR2 but I cannot support it on a top 100 list because for all intents and purposes, it was never finished.

But man, the potential that game had.

Starcraft is #11.

Windwaker is either not in or in or in the top 10, same with ALttP.

Wind Waker may not be in. Which is a damn shame, honestly.

But, LttP has to be. There's no way Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask made the list when LttP didn't.

And Starcraft is well deserved at 11. I'm surprised that Shadows of the Colossus made it so high up. It was a great game, but I didn't think it'd beat the likes of Super Mario World, Metal Gear Solid and Chrono Trigger.

Super Mario Bros, Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, and a Link to the Past will be up there. I also wouldn't doubt Final Fantasy VI and VII being in the top 10 as well. Half-Life 2 is probably a good bet. What else, though?

HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED
Platform(s): XBX, MAC, PC
Developer: Bungie Software
Publisher: Microsoft
Year Released: 2001

Wow...I honestly thought it'd be higher on the list, and personally feel it deserves to be. At least in the top 20.

I'm surprised there's been no Marathon.

It's the game that made having a mac worthwhile if you were a kid, and it was one of the first shooters with a real story behind it, and a good one at that, and puzzles. And it's also the first appearance of Master Chief... too bad it didnt make the list (I dont think its necessarily top 10).

No...no it wasn't. It might have influenced the design for Master Chief in some ways, but its been stated clearly by Bungie that the Marathon and Halo verses are not the same and have nothing to do with each other (other than Marathon influencing a lot of Halo's visuals and story, they have no connection).

No...no it wasn't. It might have influenced the design for Master Chief in some ways, but its been stated clearly by Bungie that the Marathon and Halo verses are not the same and have nothing to do with each other (other than Marathon influencing a lot of Halo's visuals and story, they have no connection).

they just say that, but we mac owners know its true. microsoft is just trying to cover up the truth!!!

Wind Waker may not be in. Which is a damn shame, honestly.

But, LttP has to be. There's no way Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask made the list when LttP didn't.

And Starcraft is well deserved at 11. I'm surprised that Shadows of the Colossus made it so high up. It was a great game, but I didn't think it'd beat the likes of Super Mario World, Metal Gear Solid and Chrono Trigger.

Super Mario Bros, Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, and a Link to the Past will be up there. I also wouldn't doubt Final Fantasy VI and VII being in the top 10 as well. Half-Life 2 is probably a good bet. What else, though?

i don't know, wind waker wasn't as great as ocarina of time or link to the past and i don't think it really did much that made a huge impact. I mean no one even liked it when it first came out. It wasn't until months later when it started getting positive feedback.

they just say that, but we mac owners know its true. microsoft is just trying to cover up the truth!!!

All 17 of you.

i don't know, wind waker wasn't as great as ocarina of time or link to the past and i don't think it really did much that made a huge impact. I mean no one even liked it when it first came out. It wasn't until months later when it started getting positive feedback.

When you're right, you're right. Wind Waker definitely doesn't hold a candle to LttP or OoT. OoT was the game of its generation and still holds the crown in many places as the greatest game ever made. LttP, along with Super Mario World, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, was one of the top games of what is, quite possibly, the greatest console ever.

But, Wind Waker was better than both Majora's Mask (Which I love, if only for Fierce Deity Link, the most badass character in any Zelda game) and Link's Awakening (Also awesome and a must have Gameboy game). Hence why I say that, if it isn't on the list, it'll be a shame.

Last edited:

Why? It would spark interest in the Marathon games (due to its link to the blockbuster Halo series) and possibly help spur a revival of the series. It only means money in Bungie's and Microsoft's pockets to actually say the series are connected. As far as I'm concerned, thats further proof they have nothing to do with each other (besides Bungie clearly stating they don't).

Lynx said:
All 17 of you.

:lol:

All 17 of you.

When you're right, you're right. Wind Waker definitely doesn't hold a candle to LttP or OoT. OoT was the game of its generation and still holds the crown in many places as the greatest game ever made. LttP, along with Super Mario World, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, was one of the top games of what is, quite possibly, the greatest console ever.

But, Wind Waker was better than both Majora's Mask (Which I love, if only for Fierce Deity Link, the most badass character in any Zelda game) and Link's Awakening (Also awesome and a must have Gameboy game). Hence why I say that, if it isn't on the list, it'll be a shame.

true almost any link game for that matter. I can't get enought of the new one on DS. I really did enjoy windwaker and it's probably in my top three if i actually made a list. Also, I think super mario world should have been higher. That was my most favorite game on SNES. Probably even ever. I bought one refurbished just for that game. And halflife 2 better damn well be up there in the top 3 because it seriously did an assload for video games with the whole source engine and the physics/gravity guns.

Latest posts

Back