Avengers Invincible Iron Man #1-6 "Extremis" discussion [spoilers]

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
I just reread the first 4 issues of this book...anyone else getting this? Lots of complaining about the scheduling, but this is one of the best "superhero" books available right now and the best Iron Man story I've ever read, by far.

It's a relaunch; they're updating it for modern times. Which makes me sad, because this would be a perfect Ultimate Iron Man series, instead of the slop we're getting from Orson Scott Card.
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
I said this ages ago in a thread somewhere. Really glad you agree.

It's unbelievably beautiful and serene. Its not even superhero really. It's more a quest to find meaning in life.

This is more "Ultimate" than Ultimate Iron Man which I've already dropped. The reason it takes so long is because Adi Granov is pencilling, inking, and colouring all by himself.

It's worth it.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Bass said:
I said this ages ago in a thread somewhere.

Whoops - sorry I missed that.

Bass said:
It's unbelievably beautiful and serene. Its not even superhero really. It's more a quest to find meaning in life.

Well put. I wish it were getting more attention, and I wish Marvel had made a better decision regarding what to do with this book.

Bass said:
This is more "Ultimate" than Ultimate Iron Man which I've already dropped.

If I wasn't a completist I would be doing the same, because the Card series is terrible.

Bass said:
The reason it takes so long is because Adi Granov is pencilling, inking, and colouring all by himself.

It's worth it.

Totally. And I wasn't aware he was doing ALL the art. That's awesome.

I hope that New Avengers uses some of the new backstory or at least recognizes it in some way, because the thought of this being "wasted" while the Card series *is* makes me nausous.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Hang on, let me get this straight, do you mean they're reimagining IM's origins or anything? Or simply making him a little more modern?

Now, I've been following the goings on of this series loosely, but I've heard that a lot of people are a bit grumpy about the direction Ellis is taking IM in, in terms of the guy-in-the-armour aspect of the story. Judging from this Extremis thing (which from what I've gathered is a biological weapon), would this by any chance be a biological suit of armour?
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Fuzzy Birds said:
Hang on, let me get this straight, do you mean they're reimagining IM's origins or anything? Or simply making him a little more modern?

Both, really...redoing his origin by making him more "modern" and vice-versa.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Now, I've been following the goings on of this series loosely, but I've heard that a lot of people are a bit grumpy about the direction Ellis is taking IM in, in terms of the guy-in-the-armour aspect of the story. Judging from this Extremis thing (which from what I've gathered is a biological weapon), would this by any chance be a biological suit of armour?

Sort of...more like a biological interface for the armor.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Sounds great in my opinion. It's always interested me why Tony stays with what is essentially a primitive suit of armour, when compared to the biological, cyborg-esque suits other characters sport.

I think I'm gonna pick this one up in trade.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Fuzzy Birds said:
Sounds great in my opinion. It's always interested me why Tony stays with what is essentially a primitive suit of armour, when compared to the biological, cyborg-esque suits other characters sport.

I think I'm gonna pick this one up in trade.

I would definitely recommend it. Might be a while before that trade comes - we just got issue #4 last week and the delays are pretty lengthy.
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
2,126
Location
Dublin, Ireland
#5 is due in October *I think*

Can't see the effects of the Extremis story being referenced/used in other Marvel books, but whoever follows Ellis & Granov will/should.

Love the story, and the bad guy is just nuts in the head.The scene with the girl in #4?Has it been said if he was always like that or did Extremis screw his head?
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Johnny Bravo said:
#5 is due in October *I think*

Can't see the effects of the Extremis story being referenced/used in other Marvel books, but whoever follows Ellis & Granov will/should.

Love the story, and the bad guy is just nuts in the head.The scene with the girl in #4?Has it been said if he was always like that or did Extremis screw his head?

Looks like he's always been a right-wing extremist, but Extremis seems to have pushed him to an all new level of crazy.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
Fuzzy Birds said:
Hang on, let me get this straight, do you mean they're reimagining IM's origins or anything? Or simply making him a little more modern?
As far as I've heard, much of the modernization of Iron Man's origin involved removing the Vietnam aspect of it. Which I guess is the most sensible way to go when modernizing origins --- removing chronologically outdated aspects.
 

Patriot Mk2

The poster formerly known as Johnny Bravo
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
2,126
Location
Dublin, Ireland
ourchair said:
As far as I've heard, much of the modernization of Iron Man's origin involved removing the Vietnam aspect of it. Which I guess is the most sensible way to go when modernizing origins --- removing chronologically outdated aspects.

With the exception of Cap :D
 

Doc Comic

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
2,869
Location
Crown Point, IN
I have to hand it to Ellis. I just got done reading the first four issues and the idea is genius. The idea of nanites that completely restructure, reorganize, and even create organs to bestow superhuman powers is simply genius. I'm actually kicking myself for not thinking of it. I don't know if it fits Iron Man, though.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Doc Comic said:
I have to hand it to Ellis. I just got done reading the first four issues and the idea is genius. The idea of nanites that completely restructure, reorganize, and even create organs to bestow superhuman powers is simply genius. I'm actually kicking myself for not thinking of it. I don't know if it fits Iron Man, though.

Another convert! Listen to the new Doc (and me and Bass) - this is a great book.

I don't know if it fits Iron man either...which is why I'm fairly certain that it won't affect Tony the same way it did Mallen. Didn't he have the woman (can't remember her name - ugh!) modify it somehow?
 

Doc Comic

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
2,869
Location
Crown Point, IN
UltimateE said:
Another convert! Listen to the new Doc (and me and Bass) - this is a great book.

I don't know if it fits Iron man either...which is why I'm fairly certain that it won't affect Tony the same way it did Mallen. Didn't he have the woman (can't remember her name - ugh!) modify it somehow?
Maya. ;)
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

Well I did it. Picked up issues 1, 2 and 4, although I read up about 3 on the 'net, and it's gonna take a couple weeks to back order at my comic shop.

Anyway, the art is ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Absolutely sumptious. Iron Man himself looks gorgeous, Tony looks very cool, and Extremis looks seriously scary. I'm also very very interested in the biological direction Tony's going to take the armour in. Ellis writes very well, producing a pretty thoughtful, heavy book.

All in all, I'm very glad I added this to my pull list.
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Messages
14,167
Location
Folkestone, UK
Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

I'm so glad you like it. It really is just a wonderful joy to read.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

Fuzzy Birds said:
Well I did it. Picked up issues 1, 2 and 4, although I read up about 3 on the 'net, and it's gonna take a couple weeks to back order at my comic shop.

Anyway, the art is ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Absolutely sumptious. Iron Man himself looks gorgeous, Tony looks very cool, and Extremis looks seriously scary. I'm also very very interested in the biological direction Tony's going to take the armour in. Ellis writes very well, producing a pretty thoughtful, heavy book.

All in all, I'm very glad I added this to my pull list.

Cool! This is one book that definitely deserves more attention than it's getting. It's one of a very few books that I would recommend to just about anyone.

Ellis is just fantastic dealing with subtlties in explaining things that are so sci-fi, but he makes them believable, or at least understandable, while still being smart about it. ESPECIALLY in Iron Man.

I am trying to refrain from bringing up UIM in non-UIM threads, so I'll bite my tongue here, but I'm sure you can guess what I was going to say.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

UltimateE said:
I am trying to refrain from bringing up UIM in non-UIM threads, so I'll bite my tongue here, but I'm sure you can guess what I was going to say.
You're moderating yourself now, hehe. Good thing you're sigfile is always there to let your opinion be known.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

The schedule is killing any critical regard for the series and it's not helping sales, either. I like it quite well, but with delays like this, I have a hard time remembering any but the most general of plot points. The title is running QUARTERLY at this point, which is insane. Marvel doesn't even list #5 on their web site as potentially coming out any time soon. At this rate, we'll have Casey's 6 part mininseries, Iron Man: Inevitable started and done with before this run is finished.

Nov 04 Iron Man #1 - 68,992
Dec 04 Iron Man #2 - 55,051 ( -20.2%)

Apr 05 Iron Man #3 - 51,390 ( -6.7%)

Aug 05 Iron Man #4 - 48,403 ( -5.8%)
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

Issue 5 is shown in Octobers Previews magazine, so I presumed it was out this month?
 

Latest posts

Top