Avengers Invincible Iron Man #1-6 "Extremis" discussion [spoilers]

Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

Granov draws so beautifully.

I'm listening to these slow music tracks, these pensive, thoughtful, and serene pieces of music - and it fits his artistic style, and the story perfectly. I love this series.

As for the whole, "Super Duper Iron Man 3.0" - I too was apprehensive at first. Iron Man seems... omnipotent. But then I realise, all the interfacing with satellites and things? He could do that BEFORE, but it went into the Iron Man view screen inside the helmet, and he had to read it. Now, it's directly in his brain, so he can see it directly, thus making it faster for him to access the information.

So basically, when you realise that the Iron Man suit is just faster than it once was... you realise that's all Ellis had done. Made him faster. Which is what he said he was doing.

Ellis just does it in a way that I think is meant to be deliberately unsettling. After all, this Extremis has only worked once before and it created a monster.

Also, the mythic structure of the story is very adept.

In all myth, the hero goes through the "rite of passage", but truly exemplary myths understand there is no greater rite, than that of delving into the underworld, into death. Should the hero return, he is granted the elixir of life, or immortality.

Iron Man descends into death, into a cacoon, where he meets old people, his past life - it is very much death - and then awakens with his wishes granted and virtual ominpotence.

It also demonstrates the weapon of the mythic hero - he uses the weapon of the villain against the hero, a contradiction. Myths generally attempt to reinforce and exemplify the contradictions of certain truths.

Also, Extremis, it's worth noting, stole the "elixir" and has become a monster, a very archetypal image.

And Iron Man has an inner conflict, a desire for meaning, greatness, and the future - but also, it seems, of redemption. What that redemption is, would seem to be relating to the weapons of war he manufactured. This is similar to Gilgamesh's fear of death, Heracles shame of murdering his family, and no doubt, many other mythic heroes.

Yeah, I like Iron Man.

I love this.

Is Ellis doing the sixth issue? Or have I missed it?

ProjectX2 said:
I love this.

Is Ellis doing the sixth issue? Or have I missed it?

I don't recall the date for #6, but it's a ways off. That will be his last. #5 just came out a few weeks ago.

UltimateE said:
I don't recall the date for #6, but it's a ways off. That will be his last. #5 just came out a few weeks ago.
March, last I saw, because #7 is in April.

Bass said:
Granov draws so beautifully.

I'm listening to these slow music tracks, these pensive, thoughtful, and serene pieces of music - and it fits his artistic style, and the story perfectly. I love this series.
Send me that track list.

Still Reprise - From the Black Hawk Down soundtrack (never saw the film, but the music's good)
Zihuatanejo - From The Shawshank Redemption soundtrack
The Truth Revealed - From the Hulk soundtrack (the Ang Lee film)
Floating Museum - From The Ghost in the Shell (the anime film)

But the best, the one I listened soley to for the first three issues and no other piece of music -

Desert Suite - From the Terminator 2: Judgement Day soundtrack.

To me, it fits.

I can e-mail 'em to you if you want, just gimmee the address.

Re: Iron Man #1-6 "Extremis" (Ellis & Granov) discussion [spoilers]

Issue 6 out today.

Great end to an awesome arc. This was the greatest Iron Man story ever written.

Short read, but it's basically the last fight between Iron Man and Mallen. Iron Man wipes the mat with him, blowing a hole in his chest and then blowing up his head. He then goes back and tells Maya that he knows she leaked the Extremis formula on purpose because the military funding was pulled, knowing she could give it to Tony and he'd beat Mallen. She gets hauled off, and that's it.

I award this an extremely rare 5/5 for the entire arc. I loved the art and the story was a superb reboot. Highly recommended for ANYONE.

Re: Iron Man #1-6 "Extremis" (Ellis & Granov) discussion [spoilers]

E said:
Issue 6 out today.

Great end to an awesome arc. This was the greatest Iron Man story ever written.

Short read, but it's basically the last fight between Iron Man and Mallen. Iron Man wipes the mat with him, blowing a hole in his chest and then blowing up his head. He then goes back and tells Maya that he knows she leaked the Extremis formula on purpose because the military funding was pulled, knowing she could give it to Tony and he'd beat Mallen. She gets hauled off, and that's it.

I award this an extremely rare 5/5 for the entire arc. I loved the art and the story was a superb reboot. Highly recommended for ANYONE.

It was great, but the Maya scene at the end seemed forced, but that could be because I read this without re-reading the first five issues. Just appeared contrived & pointless to be honest.

The fight, on the other hand, was spectacular. As good as he is, maybe Granov should stick to covers from now on? Or one-off issues like the Titanium Man issue towards the end of John Jackson Miller's run.

4/5, I just don't like the ending.

I thought it was a great finale to Extremis, and Adi Granov is a beautiful illustrator. I just hope next time, they give him the time he needs to produce his work - because it's beautiful and I'd love to see him do another comic.

I had two problems - like Patriot; the Maya thing was just tacked on.

The other problem was Iron Man's bull**** speeches about how Mallen and Maya were bad versions of himself.

I'm not stupid - and I didn't see the parallel.

However, upon rereading the comic, say the second, third or fourth time, I WOULD have got it.

And I would have appreciated the depth of the comic.

As it is - as beautiful the comic was; there's little rereadable value, and being spoon-fed meaning of a story is not only lazy but... I just ask myself, "Do I even need to be here?"

Anyone who doesn't want to delve beneath the surface isn't missing out, it's not penalising the stupid to play with subtlety in meaning and symbolism. Writing shouldn't be for the lowest common denominator.

So apart from the Maya is evil and bull**** speeches - this run was superb. Shame the few mistakes the arc had are all in #6.

But otherwise superb.

I'm going to miss Adi Granov interiors... :(

I went back and re-read a few of the previous issues and one thing I noticed is that there was a little misdirection - in the wrong way - as far as Maya being the bad guy here. It didn't jibe with some of her previous actions or words...I'm thinking specifically of when Tony was in the scab cocoon (there's a great band name) and she said something to the effect of, "Oh Tony, why did you do this." Uh...because you made him?!

I would have preferred she had no previous comments so that when we were hit with her guilt out of left field it made more sense.

Great art, interesting story, though I worry they are creating an Iron Man that is potentially TOO powerful.

This was a very Ellisian version of Iron Man, with standard Ellis words and phrases in Iron Man's mouth, but, oddly, it worked anyway.

Had the series managed to even hit bimonthly, I'd have said it was VERY good. But quarterly plus, for what is a standard comics story? No. It'll make a good trade, though.

Ok, I'm up to #3. And E, I remembered my question.

I remember hearing and/or reading somewhere that Tony came out as being Iron Man, or something like that. But now, it's like before where he's "Not Iron Man, but his 'bodyguard'."

What's up with that?

Either way, this is very cool. I love the art.

I think it's mainly just Tony denying it. Why he's doing denying it... I have no idea. I need to reread the issues.

Ice said:
Ok, I'm up to #3. And E, I remembered my question.

I remember hearing and/or reading somewhere that Tony came out as being Iron Man, or something like that. But now, it's like before where he's "Not Iron Man, but his 'bodyguard'."

What's up with that?

Either way, this is very cool. I love the art.

That happened outside Ellis's run; I haven't read anything immediately before his run.

#4 was great.

There was a panel from where the fire was coming in the car, or something like that, and the little boy look EXCITED about it! :shock:

"Mommy, we're going to die! YAAAAY!"

I just read all 6 issues. Wow. I was floored. This is better than I could imagine. I love the new update and even the classic Iron Man looked badass.

I too was wondering that now he isn't Iron Man anymore. I have the arcs from the end of the last series where they knew that he is Iron Man. I didn't get the Disassembled arc that ended the series. So I have to guess it happened in there.

A+

thee great one said:
I too was wondering that now he isn't Iron Man anymore. I have the arcs from the end of the last series where they knew that he is Iron Man. I didn't get the Disassembled arc that ended the series. So I have to guess it happened in there.

They retconned that in the Disassembled arc-which was woeful. Notice whoever wrote it was the only "indie hit" that did the main Disassembled tie-ins that hasn't gotten further work from Marvel.

Basically, Tony said he was retiring from being IM and someone else taking over, to serve as his bodyguard.

Latest posts

Back