Avengers Invincible Iron Man #1-6 "Extremis" discussion [spoilers]

Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov

Fuzzy Birds said:
Issue 5 is shown in Octobers Previews magazine, so I presumed it was out this month?

Remember that Previews is printed almost 4 months in advance, so it's not a good indicator of these iffy-schedule books. But IM didn't come out this week, it's not on next's week "tentative" list from Diamond Comics (which is pretty reliable for Marvel and DC products, but not very good for the smaller companies). I suppose it could be out on the 26th. I checked the "shipping changes" list on Newsarama and #5 isn't even mentioned. So I'm betting November.

Rhyo said:
So I'm betting November.

I'm betting December. It hasn't even been mentioned on the shipping update lists, and #4 is still fairly recent.

We both lose. From the Shipping Updates page:

Iron Man #5 AUG051916 01/04/06

and that's just the latest estimate....

that makes 5 months.

Last edited:

Yikes. That's really bad.

At least OVER 5 months for a single issue.

Ah well, like Bass said, Granov is doing ALL the art himself.

I get confused with the American date placement, is that the 1st of April, or the 4th of January?

Fuzzy Birds said:
I get confused with the American date placement, is that the 1st of April, or the 4th of January?
4th of January.

They always go my MONTH/DATE/YEAR.

Somethings go with DATE/MONTH/YEAR, but the other way is the actual used way, like feet is to meters.

icemastertron said:
4th of January.

They always go my MONTH/DATE/YEAR.

Somethings go with DATE/MONTH/YEAR, but the other way is the actual used way, like feet is to meters.

In NZ it's the opposite way around. Why can't the world be sane?

New costume. Very sleek and stylish new costume. Me likey. Drool.

IM006_cov.jpg

Last edited:

Granov is the best at doing Iron Man.

Re: Invincible Iron Man by Ellis & Granov SPOILERS

Issue 5!! Wooooooo

Very interesting to say the least. Quick SPOILERED rundown:

For most of the issue, Tony has flashbacks to when he was captured and forced to create weapons. Obviously, he ends up creating the first Iron Man armour with some help from a Doctor Yinshen (sp?). This part was well handled, and old school Granov Iron Man looks super cool, but it was far too long and a bit repetitive.

For the rest of the issue, Tony finally comes out of the Extremis cocoon, after 24 hours. He explains how he adapted the Extremis formula to do a number of different things. Firstly he's completely healed, with all his organs completely regrown. Secondly, the skintight interface suit he used to wear under his armour now is stored in the hollows of his bones and leaks out through special pores. The new interface suit enables complete mental control of all his technology, demonstrated by Tony calling Maya on her cell phone without using a phone himself or even moving his lips; opening his locked briefcase with his mind, and making his armour float out the case and assemble on him, all without moving a muscle.

Tony then says he's going to find the Extremis fellow, and when Maya asks how, he answers that he can now see through satellites.

I just love this new stuff he can do. It really solidifies Iron Man as a technological wonder, as opposed to the rust bucket he was becoming.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Issue 5!! Wooooooo

Very interesting to say the least. Quick SPOILERED rundown:

For most of the issue, Tony has flashbacks to when he was captured and forced to create weapons. Obviously, he ends up creating the first Iron Man armour with some help from a Doctor Yinshen (sp?). This part was well handled, and old school Granov Iron Man looks super cool, but it was far too long and a bit repetitive.

For the rest of the issue, Tony finally comes out of the Extremis cocoon, after 24 hours. He explains how he adapted the Extremis formula to do a number of different things. Firstly he's completely healed, with all his organs completely regrown. Secondly, the skintight interface suit he used to wear under his armour now is stored in the hollows of his bones and leaks out through special pores. The new interface suit enables complete mental control of all his technology, demonstrated by Tony calling Maya on her cell phone without using a phone himself or even moving his lips; opening his locked briefcase with his mind, and making his armour float out the case and assemble on him, all without moving a muscle.

Tony then says he's going to find the Extremis fellow, and when Maya asks how, he answers that he can now see through satellites.

I just love this new stuff he can do. It really solidifies Iron Man as a technological wonder, as opposed to the rust bucket he was becoming.

Sounds good, but i'm gonna have to read all five together. Were there any changes to the original origin?

Ice said:

Its DATE/MONTH/YEAR in most places outside the U.S.

Its the same thing as you lot spelling things differently, like color to colour

Patriot Mk2 said:
Sounds good, but i'm gonna have to read all five together. Were there any changes to the original origin?

As far as I'm aware, it's only the time frame of his origin that's different.

I have to be honest and say as much as I loved the first 4 issues, I'm not sure about #5.

Part of the appeal of Iron Man is that Tony is just a regular guy (who happens to be very smart and very rich). He doesn't have powers. This was one of my complaints with Ultimate Iron Man.

But now he is an enhanced human...I would've been OK with some kind of biological exoskeleton that interfaces with the armor, but now he apparently has super vision and super hearing.

I'm just not sure how I feel about that. I don't think I outright hate it like I did UIM, and that is mainly because this book is written 1000000x better than that pile of crap was.

UltimateE said:
I have to be honest and say as much as I loved the first 4 issues, I'm not sure about #5.

Part of the appeal of Iron Man is that Tony is just a regular guy (who happens to be very smart and very rich). He doesn't have powers. This was one of my complaints with Ultimate Iron Man.

But now he is an enhanced human...I would've been OK with some kind of biological exoskeleton that interfaces with the armor, but now he apparently has super vision and super hearing.

I'm just not sure how I feel about that. I don't think I outright hate it like I did UIM, and that is mainly because this book is written 1000000x better than that pile of crap was.

I see where you're coming from, but I think you're just a little sensitive after a certain series.....:wink:

But anyway, when you look at it, Tony himself hasn't changed all that much. He doesn't have powers. He doesn't have super vision or hearing, he simply controls the suit like an extra limb. The exoskeleton enables him to (I guess) instantly link with satellites and see things through their 'eyes'. He is simply a fusion of man and electronics, although not quite what you'd call a cyborg.

When you think about it, it's the most logical step in the Iron Man mythos. A man in a clunky suit of manually operated armour is just not gonna cut it in todays world. This reflects our world and the direction it is taking in the sciences perfectly. Now Tony truly is Iron Man.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I see where you're coming from, but I think you're just a little sensitive after a certain series.....:wink:

I wouldn't argue that...

Fuzzy Birds said:
But anyway, when you look at it, Tony himself hasn't changed all that much. He doesn't have powers. He doesn't have super vision or hearing, he simply controls the suit like an extra limb. The exoskeleton enables him to (I guess) instantly link with satellites and see things through their 'eyes'. He is simply a fusion of man and electronics, although not quite what you'd call a cyborg.

When you think about it, it's the most logical step in the Iron Man mythos. A man in a clunky suit of manually operated armour is just not gonna cut it in todays world. This reflects our world and the direction it is taking in the sciences perfectly. Now Tony truly is Iron Man.

OK, now THAT sounds a lot better.

In fact, that's ****ing awesome.

I misunderstood "see through satellites" as meaning he could see really far. My mistake. I didn't take it as "the suit connects me to satellite systems". Wow.

Part of that misunderstanding comes from knowing he grew new organs and obviously has more bone mass, among other things, I'm sure.

I'm glad you explained that...:D

UltimateE said:
OK, now THAT sounds a lot better.

In fact, that's ****ing awesome.

I misunderstood "see through satellites" as meaning he could see really far. My mistake. I didn't take it as "the suit connects me to satellite systems". Wow.

Part of that misunderstanding comes from knowing he grew new organs and obviously has more bone mass, among other things, I'm sure.

I'm glad you explained that...:D

It was my fault in the first place for not explaining it properly:wink:

So yeah, it seems like the only real change to Tonys body is that the exoskeleton is now stored in the hollows of his bones and leaks out through special pores.

Absolutely LOVED Granov's take on the retro Iron Man suit. The new one isn't bad, either. And if this book were to come out even bimonthly, I'd say it was in Marvel's top 2 or 3 books. As it is, coming out quarterly at best, it's made the story seem to d-r-a-a-a-a-a-g, like we've had 12 issues of nothing, when in reality, this is only the fifth issue.

Read it, loved it. The old scenes were excellent, and the full page spreads of both the first and newest suits were pretty sweet, nice display of how far IM's come.

I understood the new powers as that he could interface with any electronics, hence the mobile & satellites. Am I just taking it the wrong way?

Patriot Mk2 said:
I understood the new powers as that he could interface with any electronics, hence the mobile & satellites. Am I just taking it the wrong way?

No no, that's a better way of putting it than I did. Although I should think it would be limited to Stark tech, with other electronics needing to be 'hacked', otherwise, he could potentially control the entire world.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Birds said:
It was my fault in the first place for not explaining it properly:wink:

I hadn't read your first post because I hadn't read the issue yet. Totally my misunderstanding.

And yes - I loved the "new" original armor and the story behind it. And also seeing him just demolish that terrorist cell.

Latest posts

Back