Kick-Ass series discussion (Millar/Romita Jr.) (spoilers)

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
post-6236-1204044905_thumb.jpg

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=78554

Re: Happy Kick-*** Wednesday

Why, yes. It is a kick-*** Wednesday. I got a snow day and have been lying around all day...

and, I'll be picking this up too.

Ok....so no one will be able to sue Millar or Icon for false advertising. This comic does indeed kick ***.

It kicks mucho ***.

To be perfectly blunt, this is us. This is every single average comic fan. Or at least EXACTLY what they're thinking.

I'm sure many can relate to the main character, Dave Lizewski. Many of us have said the very same things he's said. Thunk (I DON'T CARE IF IT'S NOT A WORD!!! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT KICK-***!!!) the very same thoughts he's thought.

And in the end...wanted to do the very same thing he's doing. Become a superhero.

Millar has captured the comic fan/nerd's essence perfectly. And for once, Romita's art doesn't annoy me. It actually fits perfectly with the tone of the book. Simple, somewhat gritty, at times ametueristic, and brilliant....all at once.

I am so happy I paid for this book. From Millar's letter page, this was a labor of love and I am more than glad to fully support this in hopes of getting a LOT more. And to quote Millar...

"...if you're reading this in the store, please go and pay for it, you free-loading ****e."

5/5

I need more. Now!

It was pretty good. I expect it will get really good later on though.

o_O

Is this seriously the name of this comic?

Loved it.

But man.....his first outing did not go well.

That was pretty cool! It was well paced, and structured effectively to the point I was all giddy with excitement when Dave faced off against the graffiti artists.

One problem I had was that it was just too damned knowing - and very shallow. The entire comic just talked about itself for 20+ pages.

It's that shallowness that makes me think this comic will fall from grace really quickly because, already in #1, Kick-*** is a catalyst for more masked vigilantes. Which means, soon enough, this will become a very self-indulgent comic about comic book fans as superheroes talking about how weird it is that they're superheroes labouring the idea of 'what would it be like to REALLY be a superhero'. So, I think, that once the novelty of the original mini's intent - a kid tries to become a superhero - it'll become a bland comic that continually talks about itself.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see. The first issue was by no means bad. Really wasn't. Highly enjoyable read. I found it shallow, but that was alright. I don't think there's much more to this series (unless it completely changes direction), and that's alright. For now, it's fine.

And hell, we should've known this already because let's face it, this isn't a new idea at all.

Millar already did this story with the Ultimate Defenders, and it was grand.

So is this a mini or an ongoing? Or a series of minis? I remember this was supposed to be part of the Millarworld 2 line of minis but from the chatter in the back of the book it seems like theres a lot more to it.

It was fun though.

This did indeed KICK-***. Entertaining and highly authentic.

And after reading this issue, I really can't understand why some of you don't like JRJ. His art looked excellent.

Last edited:

This did indeed KICK-***. Entertaining and highly authentic.

And after reading this issue, I really can't understand why some of you don't like JRJ. His art looked excellent.

I don't understand that either. I love JRJR. I mean come on people THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR!

Ok....so no one will be able to sue Millar or Icon for false advertising. This comic does indeed kick ***.

It kicks mucho ***.

To be perfectly blunt, this is us. This is every single average comic fan. Or at least EXACTLY what they're thinking.

I'm sure many can relate to the main character, Dave Lizewski. Many of us have said the very same things he's said. Thunk (I DON'T CARE IF IT'S NOT A WORD!!! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT KICK-***!!!) the very same thoughts he's thought.

And in the end...wanted to do the very same thing he's doing. Become a superhero.

Millar has captured the comic fan/nerd's essence perfectly. And for once, Romita's art doesn't annoy me. It actually fits perfectly with the tone of the book. Simple, somewhat gritty, at times ametueristic, and brilliant....all at once.

I am so happy I paid for this book. From Millar's letter page, this was a labor of love and I am more than glad to fully support this in hopes of getting a LOT more. And to quote Millar...

5/5

I need more. Now!

This is spot on, and says everything I was thinking.

I thought it was funny how many times, when Dave was talking about being a hero, I thought how many times I've thought of those same things.

And more superhero first missions should be as disastrous as his was. That was awesome.

I disagree with Bass - I didn't think the comic talked about itself for 20 pages at all. He was giving a history, and it worked perfectly.

And JRJR was better than usual here (like Eternals), but I seriously don't know why anyone thinks he's better than any other mediocre comic book artist out there. Man Without Fear was great, but it surely wasn't because of the art.

I thought it was funny how many times, when Dave was talking about being a hero, I thought how many times I've thought of those same things.
I swear I've probably said something pretty close to "Everyone wants to be Paris Hilton but no one wants to be Spider-Man" at some point.

I disagree with Bass

Your first, and last mistake, "E".

If that IS your real name.

And more superhero first missions should be as disastrous as his was. That was awesome.

Again - I don't think the comic was bad at all. The first outing was pretty exciting and pretty cool, there was a lot more good with this issue than many contemporaries and it was fine. I'll be reading #2.

But when I say it was shallow, I mean precisely the kind of "I've thought like that too!" Honestly, to me, it reads like Millar just copied and pasted Dave's character and backstory from the most annoying geek forum. While I get why he did that - and it's a good choice - what annoys me is that he didn't really do much with it. There's not much to this character. He's completely reliant on the novelty that he's a geek fanboy that talks about ASTONISHING X-MEN (how meta!). So to me, I find this very, very shallow. So much so, that once THAT novelty wears off and he 'ages' into the catalyst hero I doubt there'll be much appeal. :(

So basically, I'm saying what I pretty much said about Millar's FANTASTIC FOUR - really good story; not very well told.

I'd prefer it if it turns out I'm 100% wrong. But hey, people are enjoying it.

I swear I've probably said something pretty close to "Everyone wants to be Paris Hilton but no one wants to be Spider-Man" at some point.

That was a terrific line.

It was alright.

I wasn't that impressed.

I never wished to be a superhero.

That's because you ARE one. :heart:

So the stripper costume I found under your bed's floorboard means nothing?

Most superhero costumes aren't crotchless.

Latest posts

Back