Kingdom Come (Spoilers)

Patriot Mk2 said:
And if you like the art, check out Justice. It's Ross when he's allowed go wild. Think Superfriends meets WWE meets plots.
Holy crap! :shock:

I had no intention of checking out Justice, mostly because I felt it would be an inconsequential rehash of the same "core concepts" of the Superman series that we've seen explored in Smallville, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman: Birthright, etc.

However, when you describe its approach *that* way, I might just have to check it out...

compound said:
Holy crap! :shock:

I had no intention of checking out Justice, mostly because I felt it would be an inconsequential rehash of the same "core concepts" of the Superman series that we've seen explored in Smallville, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman: Birthright, etc.

However, when you describe its approach *that* way, I might just have to check it out...

Theres a HC of the first four issues out in October for $20 US.

Patriot Mk2 said:
Theres a HC of the first four issues out in October for $20 US.
Sweet deal! I'll consider it. (It helps that DC hardcovers seem to be bound so much more securely and professionally than their Marvel counterparts. Or maybe I've just had bad luck.)

Justice is awesome. It's a bit slow-moving, but the Legion of Doom and Ross's art is incredible.

Anyway, I started reading The Kingdom. Couldn't get into it. It was horrible.

The Kid Flash issue and the Offspring (Plastic man's son) issue of the Kingdom are worth reading...

Also the last few pages hint that Earth 2 Superman knows how to break out (which sort of foreshadows him breaking through the timestream

Hypertime was a concept stolen verbatim from Alan Moore's outline of his "Twilight of the Superheroes", but since Mark Waid was just essentially stealing his notes on it, it is not anywhere close to as thought out as it damn well should be.

It isn't terrible, but some things don't make sense...

For instance, Alan Scott running New Oa, when in Kingdom Come it seemed pretty clear to be Hal Jordan... (especially with his costume littered with the GLC logo on it, and not the oldstyle lantern symbol...)

The introduction of a real bad guy was a mistake. Period. It needed to be a story about heroics, and what it means to be a hero.

By the way, everyone and their Grandma should read alan moore's story pitch for Twilight of the Superheroes.

DSF, are you talking about Green Lantern in the Emerald City in Kingdome Come? If so, that is Alan Scott. I think it even states that.

I could be misunderstanding you though.

It is referred to as New Oa in regards to the UN towards the end... And it's never actually specified to be Alan Scott.

It just doesn't make sense to have Alan Scott using the Hal Jordan GLC logo.

Dr.Strangefate said:
It is referred to as New Oa in regards to the UN towards the end... And it's never actually specified to be Alan Scott.

I could have sworn it mentioned him being Alan Scott.

Dr.Strangefate said:

Maybe somthing in the past years made Alan change his uniform, maybe Hal died and Alan took his place, ya never know.

Well it looks like the combination, was in fact on purpose...

Here's a preliminary sketch from Alex Ross, one that -really- makes it a clearcut ALan Scott in a GLC outfit (with his cape)... hm..

sketch_gl_flash.jpg

Also, everyone go check out the interview with Alex Ross from CBR re: the 10 year anniversary of Kingdom Come

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=7304

When the Spectre is describing all of the heroes like Flash and Hawkman I'm pretty sure he mentioned him as being Hal Jordan.

sorry, I wish that were true but it says:

"Yet another takes his refuge high above the earth's surface... his self-made emerald city twinkling in the night sky like a verdant star. There, Green Lantern Commands a lonely throne... Ever vigilant, ever waiting for signs of threats extraterrestrial. he waits still."

Shamefully---I admit that I have never read this story. :oops:

Until today!!!! :rockon: I just happened to be waiting for my LCS to finish sorting the pull lists and decided to head to the bookstore and read a couple TPBs to kill some time. I saw this in and decided to finally check it out.

HOLY SWEET BIG BABY JEEBUS!!!!! :shock:

How did I ever live before reading this?!?!?!?! I have only read up to the end of Chapter 2....I am going back tomorrow to try and finish. I am so not worthy to read such a materpiece!!!!

I guess I need to hurry up and finish so I can finally get on with Earth X too huh?

Victor Von Doom said:

Until today!!!! :rockon: I just happened to be waiting for my LCS to finish sorting the pull lists and decided to head to the bookstore and read a couple TPBs to kill some time. I saw this in and decided to finally check it out.

How did I ever live before reading this?!?!?!?! I have only read up to the end of Chapter 2....I am going back tomorrow to try and finish. I am so not worthy to read such a materpiece!!!!

I guess I need to hurry up and finish so I can finally get on with Earth X too huh?
Yes, this is indeed on hell of a masterpiece.

roguefan said:
Meh... was alright. I didn't really enjoy it - and it's not just because I'm a Marvel fan. I bought the TPB becuase I'd heard great things about it, but, for me, it only reached a C - Average.

Go back to reading X-Men.

This is awesome. I like it more than Earth X.

In my opinion, Kingdom Come is the greatest Graphic Novel of all time, the greatest story in the entire DC Universe, and one of the greatest story arcs in all of comicdom(I hesitate to say THE greatest because there are a few Marvel landmarks I've yet to read).

Not only that, but after you read the Graphic Novel, you have to read the novelization by Elliot S! Maggin. It's literally my favourite novel ever. It expands on the GN so perfectly. There were parts where my eyes were tearing up.

But read the GN first.

Victor Von Doom said:

Guess what? I'm Down With VVD. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back