Loeb/McGuinness' The Hulk (Discussion/Spoilers).

From what I've heard that has happened in this book, I am so glad I've stayed away.

The only Loeb book that I've liked (and really the only book of his that I've read) was Hulk: Gray.

Is it wrong if i say that i find the books senselessness amusing?

I dunno i just find it so ridiculous that it's fun.

LOEB: (typing) "Okay and then Uatu gets punched by the Hulk and . . . Well, what would his reaction be? C'mon, Jeph, think! You're writing half of the Marvel Universe, you're a ****ing star! You can do this! Now, think back to all the things you've learned about writing. You have to put yourself into the mind of the character, like you did with Hawkeye. I knew that if my entire family was murdered I'd start shooting everybody for no reason. Think...You're a watcher, charged with...watching the whole world. If I was punched by the Hulk, I'm sure I'd feel some kind of......pain! Okay, pain. Now how do I most eloquently express that emotion? 'Yay'? No, that's happiness. Maybe 'Huhfahfahguhh!'...No, that's that sound I make in bed. No, it has to be...'Ow'! 'OW'! Then Uatu says 'Ow'! Oh yeah, that's genius, that's ****in' genius. And it only took me...eight minutes. I guess it takes time to write great dialog. I bet this is how Alan Moore writes."

They're rubbish.

See, guys? Loeb never was a great writer.

moonmaster said:
LOEB: (typing) "Okay and then Uatu gets punched by the Hulk and . . . Well, what would his reaction be? C'mon, Jeph, think! You're writing half of the Marvel Universe, you're a ****ing star! You can do this! Now, think back to all the things you've learned about writing. You have to put yourself into the mind of the character, like you did with Hawkeye. I knew that if my entire family was murdered I'd start shooting everybody for no reason. Think...You're a watcher, charged with...watching the whole world. If I was punched by the Hulk, I'm sure I'd feel some kind of......pain! Okay, pain. Now how do I most eloquently express that emotion? 'Yay'? No, that's happiness. Maybe 'Huhfahfahguhh!'...No, that's that sound I make in bed. No, it has to be...'Ow'! 'OW'! Then Uatu says 'Ow'! Oh yeah, that's genius, that's ****in' genius. And it only took me...eight minutes. I guess it takes time to write great dialog. I bet this is how Alan Moore writes."

Hah!

After a long day, I can always trust that moonmaster will have an awesome impression of a terrible comic book writer to cheer me up.

:lol:

Re: Hulk#4 preview ...Oh my(spoilers)

Hulk_Watcher.jpg

Post of the Day. Because I think you made that up, because I don't think there is any way in the world Marvel would publish something that idiotic. Because if they did - if they published a book with that in it - it would be worse than Ultimate Iron Man and the first Mighty Avengers arc times infinity.

So I think you are trying to pull one over on us.

You are such a stinker, Venom Melendez.

So IGn has a preview fro Hulk#4 and well ....look for youself

http://comics.ign.com/articles/878/878739p1.html

Yes, you've just seen Red Hulk Punch Uatu.It's kinda amusing...

Hulk_Watcher.jpg

This just made my year.

Post of the Day. Because I think you made that up, because I don't think there is any way in the world Marvel would publish something that idiotic. Because if they did - if they published a book with that in it - it would be worse than Ultimate Iron Man and the first Mighty Avengers arc times infinity.

Honestly, this does looked photoshopped. Still amazing. :lol:

Last edited:

You say that, but if that panel was in NEXTWAVE NEXTWAVE! then we'd all be applauded Warren Ellis' genius.

*sigh*

I miss NEXTWAVE NEXTWAVE!

He deserves it. It took 1,200 dollars for him to convince Ed McGuinness to draw that for him, and then hundreds more for the lettering and the inking.

Last edited:

You say that, but if that panel was in NEXTWAVE NEXTWAVE! then we'd all be applauded Warren Ellis' genius.

That is absolutely, 100% , no question, unequivocally correct.

That is absolutely, 100% , no question, unequivocally correct.

Why would it be awesome then? because Nextwave was Trying Not to make sense?

When Loeb said he had a Hulk story to tell, he mentioned that the Hulk would punch Uatu. And now the Hulk is punching Uatu. Loeb's work is done. His story is complete.

Because it would've been outrageously funny which is precisely what NEXTWAVE NEXTWAVE! was all about.

But in Loeb's Hulk storyline - which is meant to be an action mystery :roll: It seems outrageously stupid.

They're two totally different books. Nextwave is meant to be a funny, silly, outragous book. This is a 'serious' comic, not meant to be taken lightly like Nextwave.

They're two totally different books. Nextwave is meant to be a funny, silly, outragous book. This is a 'serious' comic, not meant to be taken lightly like Nextwave.

i don't think it's ment to be a serious book. I think it's suppose to be senseless destruction.

I dunno it's fun.

Banner goes to Vegas and gets attacked by a pack of Wendigos.

He turns into the Joe Fixit, Grey Hulk. Apparently Red & Green are not enough for him.

Than he is attacked by Moon Knight of all people and than he is saved by Miss Marvel and The Sentry.

I need to stop reading this, but at least it has no Skrulls in it.

joe Fixit rocks. Bout time he came back too bad it has to be Loeb. The other half was Shulk and her Lady Liberators fighting Red Hulk and drawn by Cho.

I looked at #7 because ART ADAMS AND FRANK CHO. Seriously, those guys are amazing.

I was actually SURPRISED at #7 because it wasn't the awful thing I thought it would be. I like the idea that the comic is actually TWO comics dealing with the "Hulk corner" of the Marvel universe (in that there's an X-Men corner, Spidey corner, Manhattan crime corner, etc). The first is specifically on Hulk and the second is on She-Hulk. I actually really liked that vibe because it reminded me of Tom Strong's Terrific Tales (Art Adams being involved obviously helped in that remembrance) and the old school pulp approach that a comic issue was an anthology, presenting an entire world in an issue.

So... actually liked that part of it. I also liked the She-Hulk story... until she fought Rulk.

First of all... Rulk is an awful name. Rulk is also an awful villain. Rulk is Marvel's Superboy Prime. He's a bad guy who, in order to make him a credible threat, just goes around beating people up and trash talking about how awesome he is and because they're desperate to make him a really BIG bad, he's been 'winning' for far too long and is now becoming a boring, repetitive false threat. Also, Rulk is a red Hulk. That's it. The greatest Batman villain doesn't dress as an Owl or a Flying Squirrel. He dresses as a CLOWN. Please try to find me how Bat = Clown makes sense. Why is it that an archnemesis is the good guy with a different paint job? I can understand that being the case if this were a toy line in dire need of production cost cutting. Bat = Clown is not a logical option for a visual conflict and yet... I'm tired that Hulk's villains are gamma-irradiated monsters.

In addition to Rulk being awful, the fight is also stupid. I know they had just a couple of pages to tell the fight, but goddamit, Rulk just pisses on Thundra, Valkyrie, and She-Hulk. I know that's supposed to be the point, but this is what I'm saying about Superboy Prime and Rulk and villains like this is this: in order for them to be 'hardcore' and a 'terrible threat', the writers have them piss all over the heroes but not because the villain is powerful but by making the heroes rubbish.

It also annoyed me that She-Hulk, instead of going for round 2 vs Rulk, went and called up some girl friends to fight him. I'd've preferred a more empowering approach and She-Hulk goes to fight Rulk again to kick his *** by being smart, courageous, and heroic. I remember Dan Slott had her work out as Jennifer Walters because She-Hulk's gamma-form is exponentially powerful. That would've been cool to do here (but to be fair, it's not like Slott's She-Hulk would've been something Loeb should've read - I'm not doing the 'he doesn't no continuity' gripe here, just saying that another writer came up with a good idea on how She-Hulk could, after getting horrifically outclassed in a fight, come back for a rematch without calling up the super-girls).

But the art was amazing, and the approach was actually fun.

Latest posts

Back