Lost *spoilers*

[video=youtube;8a6Lybcps4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a6Lybcps4w[/video]

[video=youtube;Nf4JlXtGj7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf4JlXtGj7g&feature=player_embedded[/video]

With less than a week to go, does anyone want to reminisce?

How about we all list our favourite character/episode/scene?

My favourite character is definitely John Locke. He has always been the most interesting, the most inspirational, the most emotional. Even though that episode "Walkabout" is one of the best of the entire show, it is not my favourite, but that final scene definitely is:

[video=youtube;ZYfKHVdmjzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYfKHVdmjzQ[/video]

It was after this that I realised this show was just as special as John Locke. I really hope John Locke gets a good ending, whether it's on island or in this sideways universe.

My favourite episode is technically two - the season 2 finale. "Live Together, Die Alone" has everything I loved about this series. We've got three interesting and epic stories going on - Jack and his group's trek to The Others to rescue Walt, which results in the reveal that Ben is the leader of The Others and Michael leaving the island; Sayid, Jin and Sun discovering the statue; and of course, the battle of faith going on in the Hatch between Locke, Eko and Desmond. The flashbacks are also filled with intense emotion - Desmond being stuck in the Hatch for three years with Kelvin (Clancy Brown is awesome) away from Penny. And we also get the reveal that Desmond crashed the plane. These two episodes have got action, adventure, mythology, scifi and emotion and I love it so much.

Despite the fact this latest season has annoyed me, I have still really enjoyed it and I am going to miss this show a lot when it's over. Who will be up for a rewatch?

I was reminiscing last week when I started reading this thread from the beginning. It was incredible to me how I was so shocked by what was going on in season one... Man if I had known then that this show would eventually take so many great turns, I'd be considerably less excited about the going-on's in that season.

My favorite character? Although I said in the beginning of the thread that it was Charlie or Sayid (you guys should go back and see how I spelled Sayid when the show first started...lol), but I'd have to say my favorite character was John Locke. In the beginning I was skeptical of him, but as he began to grow I liked how he fit into the show. His character met a tragic end and is now the avatar for the Smoke Monster, the big bad, and fittingly so. Locke was definitely the best written character throughout the seasons, I just wish he could have been around in the end game rather than the Smoke Monster only appearing as him. I do enjoy the irony that the Smoke Monster is stuck as Locke, though.

Favorite episode? That's a toughy, but I'd have to go with Through the Looking Glass. I remember arguing with one of you that they'd never jump ahead and show that Jack and Kate got off the island but, wow, when it actually happened I was floored. Amazing that you can still read spoilers about this show and still get excited about seeing it... TtLG played out like a movie and I loved all of the suspense.

Favorite scene? I may not have one in particular, but I love the interactions between Locke and Jack.

I agree that John Locke is probably the most interesting character in terms of overall growth. Objectively, I'd say he's been written, acted and utilized the best out of the whole cast. I went into LOST having had most of the major plot twists spoiled for me by friends at one point or another, and I knew about Locke's paralysis miracle in Walkabout and saw it coming from a mile away (you'll notice the copious shots of his legs, functioning or not in the episode). That said, it still blew me away when it actually happened. The music, writing and Terry O'Quinn's brilliant performance have made the story of John Locke (specifically Walkabout) the most memorable part of the show.

However, personally, my favorite characters are probably Ben and Desmond. Both are late additions to the show, but color every scene they're in with brilliance. Michael Emerson and Henry Ian Cusick are fantastic actors, capable of promoting even the most standard scene to an interesting character study. Desmond and Penny are a fan favorite aspect of the show for a reason. Every Benjamin Linus centric episode turns out to be an instant classic. Favorite Desmond scenes for me include Penny's letter, their phonecall at the end of The Constant, and his conversation with Sayid in the well. Every scene Ben is in tends to be great, but Sayid torturing him, the DHARMAcide, Alex's death and murdering Jacob. Other favorite characters for me include Sayid, Sawyer, Juliet and Daniel Faraday.

On another note, in a lot of ways, I think that season 6 is the best of the show. It's entirely dependent on the criteria used to discern the quality, however. I still don't really get why you guys are so down on it.

I remember when I first heard about LOST on the Preston and Steve radio show, I thought it sounded interesting but I still didn't try to get into it, I rarely watch ABC at the time. Then when the finale air a friend of mine was talking about it at lunch and I asked him to tell me what happen. Since I have been hearing about this show and hoping the finale would get me interested. His answer: "So half way through the season they find a hatch, in the finale they opened it and the last shot was them looking down at a broken ladder." My response: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" So next year I caught a few scenes from Lockedown and I saw the ? episode and I loved it. The Locke and Eko story was great and really got me interested. So when season 3 started I decided to jump on board, watched the recap and the premiere and even though the episodes I was starting watching would be considered the low point of the series (even though on rewatch they're not that bad when you don't have to wait a week for the next one) I was still hooked. I remember coming to this thread when Eko died going "WTF was that!!!" Because evidently the recap didn't show the monster. The rest is history.

Favorite character is tough Locke, Eko, and Desmond are the tops since every episode centered on them is amazing. Sawyer, Hurley, Jack, and Ben are up there too. Really all the actors give incredible performances all of them really step up for this show. As for favorite episode, that may be tough. I'm going to go with the pilot since it's done just so damn well, it's basically a movie. The beginning sequence is incredible. "?",";ooking Glass"(charlies death was amazing), "The Incident" and "The Candidate" are definitely in my top ones.

I agree with Waddeon Wilgrave, I don't think this season is the best of all of them, but it is damn good. Some of the best episodes. I think people are upset that some mysterious won't be explicitly answered and really I think that's for the best. It's better to have them focus on the story rather than all these little mysteries that don't have much if anything to do with the end game. Myself I'm not wondering why polar bears or whatever, I'm wondering how it ends. Some fans just want things spelled out for them and sometimes when they are those people still ***** about it. Some that the answers don't live up the the expectations. And some I think are just plain upset that it's over.

More on my thoughts about LOST ending here[/plug]

Last edited:
Locke and Richard are my favorite characters. Terry O'Quinn is a great actor. You really notice that he isn't playing John Locke anymore. Which is amazing to me since nothing changed other than the writers saying "ok, Terry, now this guy is MIB not John Locke. GO!" Clearly not the same character.

Favorite episode so far was the Richard ep this season. Followed closely by "across the sea".

Though I could write a lengthy retrospective or character appreciation post, I'd rather posit the question to all of you.

It occurred to me the first time watching, say, The Constant, that there must be something slightly less about the episode to those who never worried for weeks on end Desmond might die prior to reunion.

As well as this, even those such as Gideon, who had major twists spoiled, have had at least a few seasons to ponder and revisit previous events to enhance their investment in the show. He and I have spent hours theorizing as to the nature of Season 6's storytelling choices and themes, which will no doubt in some way endear us to the writer's choices (as we've mostly come out in favor of them thus far) in The End. Without these conversations, however, and watching in a straight shot, the only real consideration of a new viewer may be, "what happens next? Next disc," with little contemplation, and no impetus to re-watch in search of clues and subtleties.

The experience will be so fundamentally different. How do you think the show will sit with new viewers whose connections to the character don't grow stronger with weekly / half-year long / even daily waits between new episodes? Will the story hold up as well as it has for many of us, who have analyzed and discussed?

I have my own opinion on this - and I actually think this concern explains the Producer's choices coming into season 6 - but I'd love to hear other thoughts on it.

i'm in Chicago this week and went to the Oriental Institute (a museum of Ancient Assyria, Mesopotamia, Egypt, etc). Remember that game Jacob and the MiB played? I saw an actual one in the Egypt section. The game represents death and rebirth (I'm not sure how, but that's what the card said.)

I thought that was worth sharing.

Though I could write a lengthy retrospective or character appreciation post, I'd rather posit the question to all of you.

It occurred to me the first time watching, say, The Constant, that there must be something slightly less about the episode to those who never worried for weeks on end Desmond might die prior to reunion.

As well as this, even those such as Gideon, who had major twists spoiled, have had at least a few seasons to ponder and revisit previous events to enhance their investment in the show. He and I have spent hours theorizing as to the nature of Season 6's storytelling choices and themes, which will no doubt in some way endear us to the writer's choices (as we've mostly come out in favor of them thus far) in The End. Without these conversations, however, and watching in a straight shot, the only real consideration of a new viewer may be, "what happens next? Next disc," with little contemplation, and no impetus to re-watch in search of clues and subtleties.

The experience will be so fundamentally different. How do you think the show will sit with new viewers whose connections to the character don't grow stronger with weekly / half-year long / even daily waits between new episodes? Will the story hold up as well as it has for many of us, who have analyzed and discussed?

I have my own opinion on this - and I actually think this concern explains the Producer's choices coming into season 6 - but I'd love to hear other thoughts on it.

I agree to an extend, the show just wouldn't be the same when all the episodes are ready for viewing. You can't theorize or focus on some aspects when you just move on. The breaks between the seasons really had you think and theorizing. A lot of the sense of wonder and mystery will be lost, plus you can go online without having major spoilers so there's no discussion there. All you have is if someone new watches with you or a fan who can keep their mouth shut. But really it can't be helped and I still think the show can hold up on DVD viewing. Just looses the element of surprise and awe.

Last edited:

If I am understanding correctly the post will make sense. If not... Try helping me out here.

Watching the series as a whole after all is said and done is something the producers/writers were very considerate of. Especially post-Season 3. We all know the show changed from then on. Seasons 4-6 have been fairly straight forward in their own right... Each telling their own story but building on the mythology as it went. This structure was both good and bad for Lost in the long run -- we get closure, but at a certain expense. For one thing, I don't think the characters will be as strong for the people that are just coming on board or are watching again, purely because the last three seasons have been driven by plot rather than using a microscope to analyze the little things that we so enjoyed in the first three seasons. There's definitely two different shows in one mythology here that I think is the only way a show as innovative as Lost could've ended up. To say that the writers knew what they were doing from episode one until now is not true or right because the end date was not announced from the beginning. On the whole, Lost will be a memorable pop corn show that I think revolutionized TV, however since internet buzz and discussion will no longer be around once the show is complete, it will lack some fervor.

The Man in Black is going to use Desmond to blow up the island and Jack has to stop him.

This will be epic.

I am also glad that Locke (off island) and Ben (on island) are back. Two great characters doing what they do best.

Last edited:
A fairly so-so episode, but cool nonetheless great calm before the storm. I still love how they're setting up the alternate universe, they plot it very cleverly how they are interacting. It's also interesting that Hurley recognized Ana Lucia, I'm guessing the more time he spent with Libby the more he remembers. Also I liked how selection for the candidates were very ground, people who need a mission and willing to let go of their lives. And still able to do a good job. I'm guess Jin was the Kwon candidate since it was believable that since had very little hope of returning home let alone the fact he is considered dead, that he may still accept the job at the point Jacob last visited the cliff side cave. Also explains why Sun didn't time travel like the other did.

Last edited:
I'm guess Jin was the Kwon candidate since it was believable that since had very little hope of returning home let alone the fact he is considered dead, that he may still accept the job at the point Jacob last visited the cliff side cave. Also explains why Sun didn't time travel like the other did.

I like this theory. It makes sense.

I wonder how Miles, Claire and Richard (he can't be dead) are going to be involved in the finale. And I'm guessing Bernard and Rose rescued Desmond because they need to appear somehow.

[video=youtube;sySLy4Q8gXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySLy4Q8gXg[/video]

:(

Last edited:
soooo...

wow, i don't even know what to say.

wow.

The flash sideways verse is obviously good for MiB then since he wants to destroy the island.

Jacob invited Widmore back to be killed? I know he also brought Desmond to the island, but he said "for this very moment"

and has anyone else thought about the fact that "crazy mother" was adamant that MiB can never leave the island, but Jacob does it all the time? What does that mean?

Latest posts

Back