Marvel Zombies series discussion (spoilers)

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about whether a prequel to this could work, but...

14.9.jpg

This is going to rock :D.

I got that from Sean Phillips' blog, and it looks like he'll keep updating with new stuff.

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about whether a prequel to this could work, but...

14.9.jpg

This is going to rock :D.

I got that from Sean Phillips' blog, and it looks like he'll keep updating with new stuff.

I'm getting excited!!! Thanks for that link/pic!

But I gotta ask Spidey... what ever happened to "great power comes great responsibility"? I hope he knows Uncle Ben is spitting on him from heaven.
And I feel so horrible for Mary Jane. I wonder how he did it? Did he just start eating her while she screamed in agony, or did he make it painless?

I wonder when it's supposed to hit the shelves?

Last edited:
Sweet! Looks like the MZ Prequel is indeed going full steam ahead. Looking forward to it.

Honestly, MZ was probably my guiltiest pleasure in comic book reading in a long while. It was pure genius as far as I'm concerned combining the superhero and zombie genres, and it was executed perfectly, in both tone and story. I'm really looking forward to more.

Sweet! Looks like the MZ Prequel is indeed going full steam ahead. Looking forward to it.

Honestly, MZ was probably my guiltiest pleasure in comic book reading in a long while. It was pure genius as far as I'm concerned combining the superhero and zombie genres, and it was executed perfectly, in both tone and story. I'm really looking forward to more.

Executed perfectly??! More like "needed to be executed." I just hope it's thought-out this time.

Last edited:
Executed perfectly??! More like "needed to be executed." I just hope it's thought-out this time.

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. I think you're missing the point that the over-the-top black humor was intentional. It wasn't taking itself seriously, and wasn't meant to be taken seriously by readers. It was schtick, pure and simple, but done wonderfully.

Ultimate Deadpool said:
I'm getting excited!!! Thanks for that link/pic!

And if you disliked the first series so much, why are you looking forward to the prequel?

And if you disliked the first series so much, why are you looking forward to the prequel?

I imagine it'll be more like the zombie-story I thought the first mini was going to be. Zombies attacking people, blah-blah-blah.
It'll also probably allow me to see what they went through emotionally before they became morally-void, sadistic cannibals.
And best of all, no zombies eating Cosmic Gods, and in turn, becoming Cosmic Gods.

I didn't want to creat a new thread for this. But it fits into the marvel Zombies Theme.

thMarvel_zombies.jpg

thzombies2.jpg

thMZHCb.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine it'll be more like the zombie-story I thought the first mini was going to be. Zombies attacking people, blah-blah-blah.
It'll also probably allow me to see what they went through emotionally before they became morally-void, sadistic cannibals.

I can understand that, and agree to a point. But the zombie thing has been done so much its become a cliche. I liked the new take on it, introducing this aspect into a world of superheroes, and having it only affect them.

And best of all, no zombies eating Cosmic Gods, and in turn, becoming Cosmic Gods.

Again, part of the schtick. You didn't like that because you were taking the story too seriously. Some zombie stories deserve that (the first NotLD especially for its symolism and examination of race issues in the 1960's), but others are just meant to be campy fun...which is what I think Kirkman was going for in Marvel Zombies. For a serious take on zombies by Kirkman, see The Walking Dead.

I didn't want to creat a new thread for this. But it fits into the marvel Zombies Theme.
Marvel_zombies.jpg

Sweet! Marvel Zombies Heroclix!

Hmmm...wonder if I should include that in the timeline.

Just kidding.

Sweet!

Last edited:
I can understand that, and agree to a point. But the zombie thing has been done so much its become a cliche. I liked the new take on it, introducing this aspect into a world of superheroes, and having it only affect them.

Again, part of the schtick. You didn't like that because you were taking the story too seriously. Some zombie stories deserve that (the first NotLD especially for its symolism and examination of race issues in the 1960's), but others are just meant to be campy fun...which is what I think Kirkman was going for in Marvel Zombies. For a serious take on zombies by Kirkman, see The Walking Dead.

I can get what you're saying, I really can. And I understand... well, now, lol. And I'm planning on buying the Walking Dead TPB, I heard it was out.

I was turning a blind eye to the things I saw wrong or unexplained in Marvel Zombies until they ate Silver Surfer.
When Galactus showed up, I was hoping for an ironic end to the Zombieverse. These ex-champions of humanity who over-powered and consumed every human on Earth that they had sworn themselves to protect are, in turn, themselves over-powered and consumed by a being who's beyond the cencepts of "good" and "evil," and is closer to being a force of nature.
But instead, they did the impossible again.

I don't think Marvel Zombies had to be the same ol' cliche zombie fun.
The zombies were super-powered, intelligent, and quick (well the ones that were still mostly intact). I think that set up the book to have a very distinct twist to it, compared to the dumb-as-doorknobs, slow-as-hell zombies we always see.

Instead of eating Silver Surfer and Galactus, it should have had them hunting down the humans that were still alive.
And not only that, but they still had consciousness, sentience. I would had liked to see them dealing with the matter. Most of the giving into the hunger, while others, like zombie Captain America and zombie Spider-Man (and whomever else) fought the hunger... maybe even trying to play super-hero despite their crippling hunger.

I would have also liked to see the scrambling, desperate humans fighting for their lives. Seeing how they deal with their heroes, icons, and role models trying to tear their flesh from their bodies.
Have some of the heroes and villains still alive and helping the "heroic" zombies protect the humans, while being ultra-paranoid of the "heroic" zombies with them.
We'll see those "heroic" zombies fighting amongst themselves over the hunger, and fighting off the other crazed zombies.

And for a great twist, we see which of the "heroic" zombies give into the hunger first. Watch the conflict stir amongst them.
And by the end of the book, when the other crazed zombies finally find the survivors again, we come to find out that most of the "heroic" zombies had ended up eating some the human heroes/villains and some of the survivors, while the other crazed zombies chase down and eat the human heroes/villains and survivors that fled.

Opinions?

P.S Awesome scans, Watcher!!

Last edited:
For those of you who missed Marvel Zombies and/or still want to get the Hard Cover. Marvel Comics is going back to press with a third printing of Marvel Zombies HC with a new cover by Arthur Suydam that is a zombie homage to the classic Fantastic Four #49 cover.

The third printing will be in stores on Jan. 20.

marvelzombies.jpg

Last edited:
The third printing cover is the best one!

I wonder if I can trade mine in or something.

The covers are the best part of this series.

I feel the same applies to both 52 and The Punisher as well.

Latest posts

Back