Marvel Zombies series discussion (spoilers)

I would buy just about anything drawn by Mike Deodato.

I think this is the cover for the Hardcover Version, it looks pretty good.... it actually makes me want to buy it, even tho i have the single issues :s

JUN062005.jpg

Sorry couldn't get it bigger

Last edited:
Hardcover came out this week - anyone pick it up besides me?

It has a pretty funny foreword by Kirkman and a gallery of all the covers, including the extra printings.

I'm not sure why they did a full size hardcover instead of a premiere hardcover, but it's a pretty nice package.

I sold my individual issues for $35 on eBay...I couldn't believe I got that much for them.

E said:
Hardcover came out this week - anyone pick it up besides me?

It has a pretty funny foreword by Kirkman and a gallery of all the covers, including the extra printings.

I'm not sure why they did a full size hardcover instead of a premiere hardcover, but it's a pretty nice package.

I sold my individual issues for $35 on eBay...I couldn't believe I got that much for them.

I got this along with the X-Factor: The Longest Night Hardcovers. I'm very happy with myself.

The foreward was awesome.

Does some one mind posting the foreword?
Cause the Hardcovers at my store are covered in plastic wrap, so you can't read them unless you buy it..... but i wanted to see all the zombie covers

I was excited when I heard about this, but everything about "Marvel Zombies" consistently makes me infuriated and frustrated!!!

I will be checking out the pequel mini-series though, maybe it'll answer some of my questions.

::pOTENTIAL SPOILERS::

These are the problems I have with it:

01. What happened to Zombie-Sentry after he infected their world?

02. How could some of these characters so willingly hunt down and devour every living creature with sadistic pleasure? Some of these characters' willpower had been iron-clad in the past and unbreaking... so what changes that now?

03. There are characters that should have been impossible to become zombies. Off the top of my head: Black Bolt, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, Hercules, Hulk, Iron Man, Juggernaut, Luke Cage, Sabretooth, Thor, Vision, and Wolverine.

04. There are characters who should had been able to reverse what happened, but didn't seem to attempt it. Such as: Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Galactus, Mr. Fantastic, and Silver Surfer.

05. How did virtually all of the zombies "survive" Magneto's assault of exploding cars, exploding gas tankers, and falling buildings?

06. HOW THE HELL DID THEY EAT THE SILVER SURFER?????!!!! His body is as indestructible as adamantium, and he has the power to go Hiroshima on their asses!! He doesn't even have any flesh or blood, he's just metal and energy for crying out loud!

07. HOW THE HELL DID WOLVERINE KILL JUGGERNAUT?????!!!! 2/10th's of Silver Surfer's power is enough to kill the the Juggernaut, but 100% of Silver Surfer's power isn't enough to annihilate all of the zombies??

08. HOW THE HELL DID THEY EAT GALACTUS?????!!!!?????!!!! 'Nuff said!

09. Why would the Zombie-Fantastic Four want to bring all of the other zombies into the Ultimate Universe? With just the four of them, 6,000,000,000 people will last decades. But with all of the zombies there, 6,000,000,000 will go by in a matter of years.

10. And finally, the brain-teaser... where is Zombie-Mr. Fantastic's son, Franklin, that talked to Ultimate Mr. Fantastic?

I want my fun to be accurate. Zombies are a mystery, but there's a system to it. We have a point of origin, the "first" zombie. But how do we explain everything else? The infected, their behavior, and whom they had eaten.

Well they said it only infected super-powered beings, so why were the normal characters infected? Vision is a robot, and Ghost Rider is a flaming skeleton.

But I didn't want Marvel Zombies to be a novelty, I wanted it to be a well-written story... I wanted to take it seriously. But the more I saw, the more infuriated I became. And I was hoping the 5-parter would have been more involved, but it stayed an unexplain novelty.

Oh, and I forgot question 11. Why did they give Zombie-Wasp a robot body? Are they nuck'n futs??! That's like giving Jeffrey Dahmer a knife and turning your back.

::END SPOILERS::

I would had prefered some things altered. Like have some remaining un-infected heroes fight back (maybe some of them becoming infected and attacking the other heroes), having Dr. Strange and/or Dr. Doom attempt to find a cure for the plague, and leaving Silver Surfer & Galactus out of the story all-together.

Of course, I wouldn't really mind the infected heroes still having their minds. But like I said, some of them have unbreakable wills. I would had liked to see some of them being like Lestat in 'Interview with a Vampire.' Maybe even attempting to help survivors while fighting their hunger. Of course, it would be a hell of a plot twist if one or two of them were shown finally giving into the hunger and lashing out, ultimately being killed, or begging to be killed.

Oh, and did anybody check out the last page of Wizard #180? There's a parody page advertising the "Marvel Zombies" TPB.

If you missed it, here's a summary:

---------

(colonel america, iron man, and spider-man are rummaging through destroyed buildings and rubble.)

Spider-Man: Hungry! So hungry!

Colonel America: Quiet, Spider-Man! At least you had the "Amazing Friends" for an amazing breakfast! Iron Man and I had to share Puck, so we're still starv-- eh?

(they see two small children.)

Billy: Colonel 'Merica! We're saved, Molly!

Molly: F'r weal?

Billy: Oh boy, Colonel, you were my daddy's favorite superhero!

Molly: Yay!

Billy: We'll stay with you for ever!

(the zombies all look at each other.)

(a picture of two "Hostee's Meat Pies" show up. 100% real Billy! 100% real Molly!)

Iron Man: Flaky crust!

Spider-Man: I can taste their tears!

(colonel america licks his chops in delight)

---------

As horrible and demented as that was, that's actually what I wanted the 5-parter to look more like.

I'm still horrified that these people that we all grew up with, that we watche go through all of their problems and trials, ready willing and able to give their lives to save someone else's life would consciously devour everything they see! It's a horrible reality to me, yet an interesting story that was wasted.

02. How could some of these characters so willingly hunt down and devour every living creature with sadistic pleasure? Some of these characters' willpower had been iron-clad in the past and unbreaking... so what changes that now?

03. There are characters that should have been impossible to become zombies. Off the top of my head: Black Bolt, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, Hercules, Hulk, Iron Man, Juggernaut, Luke Cage, Sabretooth, Thor, Vision, and Wolverine.

04. There are characters who should had been able to reverse what happened, but didn't seem to attempt it. Such as: Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange, Galactus, Mr. Fantastic, and Silver Surfer.

06. HOW THE HELL DID THEY EAT THE SILVER SURFER?????!!!! His body is as indestructible as adamantium, and he has the power to go Hiroshima on their asses!! He doesn't even have any flesh or blood, he's just metal and energy for crying out loud!

07. HOW THE HELL DID WOLVERINE KILL JUGGERNAUT?????!!!! 2/10th's of Silver Surfer's power is enough to kill the the Juggernaut, but 100% of Silver Surfer's power isn't enough to annihilate all of the zombies??

08. HOW THE HELL DID THEY EAT GALACTUS?????!!!!?????!!!! 'Nuff said!
I can answer all these pretty easily. You're basing your arguments on your knowledge on the 616 universe, which this is not. Anything not stated in the mini is up for speculation.

10. And finally, the brain-teaser... where is Zombie-Mr. Fantastic's son, Franklin, that talked to Ultimate Mr. Fantastic?
The zombie Reed didn't look like himself there either, which means it was just a projection with which ZR fooled UR. Franklin could have been dead already at that point, and probably was.

11. Why did they give Zombie-Wasp a robot body? Are they nuck'n futs??! That's like giving Jeffrey Dahmer a knife and turning your back.
My guess is that the suit gives Wasp whatever she needs to keep the hunger away. She would be no threat to anyone if her hunger is in check.

My guess is that the suit gives Wasp whatever she needs to keep the hunger away. She would be no threat to anyone if her hunger is in check.
Not to mention that how the hell would she even try to eat anyone with the suit on? She can't eat through the glass. And even if she was dumb enough to take it off, her head would plop to the floor, once again being body-less. And the question that once again arises----"How would she even try to eat anyone?".

'Nuff said.

The zombie Reed didn't look like himself there either, which means it was just a projection with which ZR fooled UR. Franklin could have been dead already at that point, and probably was.

Exactly... did they eat their own son/nephew??!

And my 1st and 7th questions are still up to debate, even though Silver Surfer and Galactus didn't appear any weaker than their 616 counterparts.
All of the characters seemed like their 80's era 616 counterparts... except... they were zombies.

Jeez, Iron Man broke his teeth on Silver Surfer's skin, but was able to eat him after he was dead?

Last edited:
I got a few signed photos of this when i was in usa. I thought the art was just cool. Do i need to read the ultimate book with them in before i pick this up? and is it in a tpb?

Latest posts

Back