Avengers Mighty Avengers Series Discussion **SPOILERS**

You're all obviously very wrong. This was absolute balls.

Tony Stark designs a new Helicarrier. It's red and yellow, just like his suit. Ugly as hell. He says he doesn't like the old Helicarrier, yet he's in it over in his own book. Inconsistent.

Bendis... is... using... thought bubbles?! Thought bubbles? Why? Why did he just randomly start using them? They're everywhere! And what's worse? All of them contain stupid Bendis dialogue excerpts like "Okay." and "Wow." and "Good." THOUGHT BUBBLES?!

Of course it's got bad dialogue, it's written by Bendis, and he has no idea how to write these characters. I couldn't care less about the plot. Something to do with Mole Man's monsters attacking New York, the Mighty Avengers attacking back, and Mole Man *****ing about the Mighty Avengers attacking his people. And then Tony Stark becomes Ultron, who just happens to be a woman. A woman. What is this obsession Marvel has with turning robots into females?

The only good thing about this issue was the Frank Cho art, and even that can't keep the issue afloat.

This has been dropped before it was even picked up. I'll stick to New Avengers.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how Tony picks his team by comparing each of them to Wolverine, Thor and ninjas. After all, it can't be the Avengers if it doesn't have Thor, Wolverine or ninjas.

I agree on all points. It was so bad. So bad.

Definity one of the worst comics I ever read.

The thought bubbles were almost deadly they were everywhere. It's not bad enough for Bendis to overpopulate panels with word ballons but now he hads thought bubbles. I want to cry.

Lady Ultron is Tony. I don't even want to touch that one.

I could care less for Wonder Man, Wasp, and Black Widow.

The only thing that I liked about it was Ares. I liked the Wolverine and Thor in one idea.

Thumbs down. Way down.

First off - I totally agree about the thought balloons. As I've said before - thought balloons are a crutch for poor writing and narrating. They should not be used. EVER.

The forced sexual tension between Tony and Ms. Marvel was way overdone and tiring to read. It had no place in the story and didn't make sense.

I loved Cho's work in New Avengers, but it totally did not work here. Although to be fair it seemed more of a coloring issue - bright vibrant colors don't work here.

Female Ultron. 'Nuff said.

I'm totally bummed that this was so bad, because I really, really like New Avengers. I loved how the team came together and the chemistry between the characters was great.

There is NO chemistry between any of the characters, and nothing that brings them together other than that they are versions of Thor and Wolverine. Did Bendis not realize how stupid that sounded when he wrote it?!

I read this and wasn't very impressed. I dont mind thought bubles, but these were just everywhere and they weren't important at all, thoughts like "huh" or "okay" can go without being said, hell some of them could have been left in the worg balloon. The new hellicarrier is just crap, what the hell were they thinking when they designed that? Also female Ultron? What the ****?

I loved the thought balloons. I thought they were extremely funny and helped point out some of the bizarre dialogue, such as the sexual tension.

After reading this thread, I realized that this issue was actually supposed to be serious and was not a bizarre, light-hearted parody. That Carol and Tony were actually supposed to have arranged the "world's best Avengers" by acting like five-year-olds picking a fantasy baseball team. That the red and gold helicarrier was actually canon. That the thought bubbles were not just an industry joke. That the only character that was likeable in here (Ares), Bendis knows nothing about. That Carol actually expects Jessica Drew to rejoin them after Tony abused his now unlimited power to settle a personal grudge he has with her. That Tony has once again been hacked and once again will not be held responsible for that even though that's the ****ing point of heroes registering. That every person in here, from Ares to the Sentry, from Moleman to Tony, talks exactly the same way. That this was not just an elaborate in-joke.

Mother****er.

Can I PLEASE get a name change at this point?!?!?!

First, Bendis tried to sublimanally make us Jewish and speak with multiple question marks [see above] and now he's changed me into a woman I want a more masculine name now like Molly.

EDIT: And I didn't care for the issue either.

Last edited:
I'd like to hammer down the point that this issue sucks. Nice art, but crappy story. Though bubbles? I thought that I only had to deal with thought bubbles in my "essential marvel" comics.

I hope you all go back and reread Watchmen, but instead you replace the captions with the thought bubbles.

Then you'll see how wrong you are.

I don't think that one style is necessarily better than the other (narration boxes over thought balloons) - I do think that thought balloons tend to let the writer cheat and flat-out tell the reader things that should instead be shown or conveyed some other way. Bendis didn't do that - I'll give him credit for that - but he used them almost as a running joke. In fact, I read the issue in download and I had to go up and check with a preview to make sure I wasn't reading a parody instead of the actual issue.

The dialog reminds me of an old sitcom, with the horrible fake laugh track, and I don't like sitcoms.

I hope you all go back and reread Watchmen, but instead you replace the captions with the thought bubbles.

Well put.

I'm in the middle of reading Watchmen now (but had the ending somewhat ruined by AICN in a Heroes column).

Text Bubbles > Thought Bubbles

D

Post of the Day.

DOWN WITH THOUGHT BUBBLES.

Latest posts

Back