Avengers Mighty Avengers Series Discussion **SPOILERS**

I don't think that one style is necessarily better than the other (narration boxes over thought balloons) - I do think that thought balloons tend to let the writer cheat and flat-out tell the reader things that should instead be shown or conveyed some other way. Bendis didn't do that - I'll give him credit for that - but he used them almost as a running joke. In fact, I read the issue in download and I had to go up and check with a preview to make sure I wasn't reading a parody instead of the actual issue.

The dialog reminds me of an old sitcom, with the horrible fake laugh track, and I don't like sitcoms.

YES!
That's what I've thought, actually it's what I think when I read most of Bendis comics (seriously). It's not just the thought bubbles, It's the repeated sentences, the conversations and the yiddish. Everytime Spider-man says "Oy" I imagine a crowd laughing and aplauding. That's what I think most of the time when they talk. I'm just going to accept that this is the Avengers and move on. Just wanted to say that MoS was spot on in what I thought.

Remove Wonder Man, and it's a pretty nice roster we have here.

Still I like New Avengers more than these guys, especially after Stephen Strange and Iron Fist joining them

Just read it - Bendis shouldn't be allowed to have artists like Cho drawing this drivel. Cho is a far better talent than Bendis. Oof.

Bendis' writing is a cacophony and it reads like fanfiction. They're talking about putting the most powerful superteam together like fanboys, "We need a Wolverine and a Thor".

The plot doesn't (and won't) make any sense.

Something that aggravated me - Ares is a God. Now, he wants a mortal life for his mortal son, cool. I like that. But he's a God. Of War. And Tony walks in on him and destroys his charade at a normal life, and potentially ruining his son's life.

He's the God of War.

Does anyone else think he 'talks to Tony and then accepts his offer' is a satisfactory resolution to that scene?

Y'know what I think? I think Ares trashes the **** out of Iron Man and Ms Marvel for their insolence. When they threaten him with the registration act, he becomes incensed. He realises he now has to leave America and his son has to leave his friends and life and move to another country. Iron Man continues - they'll find him and bring him in. Ares doesn't believe Iron Man's arrogance nor his reach of jurisdiction.

Iron Man plays the 'tough man stare' game, along with the line about how he'll get the best of the best to bring in Ares.

He's just challenged Ares, the God of War to a fight.

Ares dismisses Iron Man's challenge. He's so far beneath him, like a child challenging Achilles, he does not take it seriously.

So Iron Man arrests Ares. Ares fights back. It rekindles his love of War (like an addict being given his poison of choice) and the first arc (maybe 2-issues big at most) is these new Mighty Avengers forged to face Ares, the God of War as he tears apart the Initiative single-handedly in the bloodlust of combat hunting down state-sponsored superheroes, all the while Iron Man realises that this is another mess he's created.

It would be a nice parallel to how the original team was forged by Loki's doings.

As for the thought bubbles - meh. Weren't so bad. It was just weird that Bendis put either what he normally put in narration boxes in thought bubbles (that was the conversation pieces - how many times have we seen "Gah!" in a narration box?) or he put bizarre things that were just irrelevant (like the passcodes). I'm actually quite pleased he's trying something new, but it was largely a cluttering of the narrative - it didn't fit with the pace. And pace was shambolic. It's the same nonsensical conversations with people yapping back and forth in a rather banal fashion.

Also, there was no drama in the moloid fight. The moloids seem completely incapable of performing even the remotest threat to these guys (and gals), which kinda made it 'blah - when does the splash page cliffhanger (which is such a gorram cliche these days) kick in?'

Aaand - why even have a team roster? If they can assemble an entire team (including recruiting Ares from a cold meeting) in 3 hours and 46 minutes and delpoy them into the field, in gear, completely ready for a battle against an unknown army of assailants - why not assemble a team specifically for whatever crisis they happen to face? If it's big, crazy monsters, send in the power houses. If it's a street-level threat, call in another team because this is the frickin' AVENGERS and they don't take on street-level stuff. If the threat is initially unknown, send in a recon team for intelligence. But regardless, if specific situations requires specific superheroes and you can assemble a team in less than 4 hours, why not assemble that team as required? The concept of having them all be together is irrelevant as none of them know when danger strikes and like hospital staffers would be on call 24/7. Granted this would make the title Justice League Unlimited, but that's fine since JLU is better than this.

They go on about how they're now a 'military' team, but they act like a bunch of fanboys who just got powers and put on a costume, but know a lot of trivia about other heroes and their powers.

Frank Cho's art is gorgeous though. Love it.

Last edited:
****. I didn't want to pick this up but because of what Bass said, my interest is peaked.

Don't pick it up. You may not realize it yet, but Bass is wrong most of the time. In fact, he still thinks the earth is flat and the sun is God's eye or something.

Stick with New Avengers.

So it's not bad because Bendis writes it? It's bad because of the characters? I plan on sticking with NA but I have little interest in any of the MA characters. The fact that Bass doesn't think Bendis can write the circumstances of the team coming together intriques me.

This is one the worst comics ever.

****. I didn't want to pick this up but because of what Bass said, my interest is peaked.

Huh? Why? I didn't like it. What did I say that made you interested? I *****ed about what was in the issue and then made up my own issue. How does that pique your interest? :?

I think you should get it, what is horrible to us may be good for you, it's not like everyone here have the same taste.

I liked it at first because I assumed it was some elaborate parody of the superhero genre.

Then I realized it was supposed to be serious.

Pretend to yourself that you're reading an Internet photoshop of the issue and you'll probably like it.

I liked it at first because I assumed it was some elaborate parody of the superhero genre.

Then I realized it was supposed to be serious.

Pretend to yourself that you're reading an Internet photoshop of the issue and you'll probably like it.

hehe...Photoshop...

Latest posts

Back