Avengers Mighty Avengers Series Discussion **SPOILERS**

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
So #1 is out and it rocks!

If I had to compare it to a movie---it's not "rocks" as in the same term that Ultimates, Fables, Justice rocks....more along the lines of Runaways or New Avengers rocks.

I hope that made sense...........it probably didn't. :(

Anyways....there are a lot of team books out there. This being the new one might not register since several of you already have quite a few team books out there. But this is definitely worth getting.

Ok---it's a fact---Bendis on New Avengers rocked. Always did. It was the big popcorn comic of Marvel and it was good. A few issues were stellar---some weren't.....but at the end of an arc.....you could always recommend it to someone.

Well Mighty is no different. The premise is simple: The Initiative has placed a super group in each state.....but the WORLD will always need saving and will always need The Avengers. New Avengers are underground heroes who refuse to register. Mighty Avengers are a govt sanctioned superteam.

The first issue opens with the MA jumping into battle. This battle continues thru the whole issue. In between battle scenes...we jump back in time about 2 days ago and witness the interaction between Tony and Carol.

Tony tells Carol that while he will be on the team...he is to obusy running SHIELD to lead. So Carol is the MA team leader. We then get banter of them going back and forth debating on who needs to be on the team.

So then we cut back to battle...and in each 2-3 page battle splash we get brief highlights of each member in action. But then when we cut back to Tony/Carol....we see them reviewing the background of each member and why they should be on the team. To be quite honest....it's actually set-up and layed out very brilliantly.

I'm gonna say this with the utmost seriousness------this book even Wonder Man kicks ***. :neutral: <--- See? Serious Face.

I remember reading the preview for this a few months back in Wizard and it seemed as if Iron Man wasn't Tony. Well I guess they reworked the script a bit...because this is Tony............kinda.

At the end Iron Man starts to go on the fritz and we get this huge explosion. When the dust settles we see a naked female Ultron standing where Tony used to be.

Yeah....WTF indeed. :?

But even with this little "yeahbuwhat" moment---the book was an absolute blast.

5/5

Seriously......

who are you? and what have you done with VVD?

this was OK, nothing really to rave about because it is a #1 so i'm not expecting much, Shultron is kinda stupid but whatever

4/5

I must agree. It was a good issue, especially for Bendis, but I wouldn't call it great.

The line up seems a little bit off to me.

The Moleman certainly doesn't make a very good first issue villian. As for Ultron, I'm sure it's going to be resolved in the next couple of issues in a very disappointing way.

So I was looking at Wikipedia for Ultron information after hearing about this, and it appears that the female version does not have his trademark angry face. This is very disappointing. It also says that Ultron killed an entire country and heaped the corpses in a pile that looked like his face when viewed from space. This is how serious Ultron is about protecting his trademark. Why would he get rid of it?

Also: If Whedon's run on Runaways mocks this, I... oh, wait, I can't possibly love Whedon or Runaways more than I already do. Never mind.

You're all obviously very wrong. This was absolute balls.

Tony Stark designs a new Helicarrier. It's red and yellow, just like his suit. Ugly as hell. He says he doesn't like the old Helicarrier, yet he's in it over in his own book. Inconsistent.

Bendis... is... using... thought bubbles?! Thought bubbles? Why? Why did he just randomly start using them? They're everywhere! And what's worse? All of them contain stupid Bendis dialogue excerpts like "Okay." and "Wow." and "Good." THOUGHT BUBBLES?!

Of course it's got bad dialogue, it's written by Bendis, and he has no idea how to write these characters. I couldn't care less about the plot. Something to do with Mole Man's monsters attacking New York, the Mighty Avengers attacking back, and Mole Man *****ing about the Mighty Avengers attacking his people. And then Tony Stark becomes Ultron, who just happens to be a woman. A woman. What is this obsession Marvel has with turning robots into females?

The only good thing about this issue was the Frank Cho art, and even that can't keep the issue afloat.

This has been dropped before it was even picked up. I'll stick to New Avengers.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how Tony picks his team by comparing each of them to Wolverine, Thor and ninjas. After all, it can't be the Avengers if it doesn't have Thor, Wolverine or ninjas.

Tony Stark designs a new Helicarrier. It's red and yellow, just like his suit. Ugly as hell. He says he doesn't like the old Helicarrier, yet he's in it over in his own book. Inconsistent.

Bendis... is... using... thought bubbles?! Thought bubbles? Why? Why did he just randomly start using them? They're everywhere! And what's worse? All of them contain stupid Bendis dialogue excerpts like "Okay." and "Wow." and "Good." THOUGHT BUBBLES?!

Of course it's got bad dialogue, it's written by Bendis, and he has no idea how to write these characters. I couldn't care less about the plot. Something to do with Mole Man's monsters attacking New York, the Mighty Avengers attacking back, and Mole Man *****ing about the Mighty Avengers attacking his people. And then Tony Stark becomes Ultron, who just happens to be a woman. A woman. What is this obsession Marvel has with turning robots into females?

The only good thing about this issue was the Frank Cho art, and even that can't keep the issue afloat.

Dude...I totally said the same thing like 3 posts earlier. You're stealing my thunder.

Yeah, the thought bubbles were definitely strange, and a little distracting.

The issue was ok. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible.

Does anyone want to start an Internet Slapbet on whether the explanation for Ultron morphing into a chick will make any sense at all and not just be gratuitous crap? I don't know how betting works with odds and all, but I'd say the options should be:

1. It will be so stupid you will lose brain cells reading it.
2. It will be flimsy and contrived.
3. It will be contrived or stupid, but lead to good story possibilities.
4. Like Ultimate Gwarnage and Ultimate Doctor Octamagnetopus, Bendis will pretend it makes sense while offering absolutely no explanation.
5. It's not really Ultron.
6. The explanation will actually make sense and be logical, but the story will implode into Yiddish-spouting suckage by the fourth issue.
7. The explanation will be interesting and logical and the story will be consistently good throughout every issue.

I am down with VVD on this one.
This issue was fantastic! No complaints...liked the way he used the thought bubbles...good dialogue...plenty of action without missing a step.
You guys must be collecting some outrageously good comics lately if you think this issue is just so-so or poor:roll:
Either that or your just plain crazy...hmm....Now that I think about it I'll go with crazy!
How people can have a problem with nekked female Ultron drawn by Frank Cho is..is..inconceivable!!:)

I am down with VVD on this one.
This issue was fantastic! No complaints...liked the way he used the thought bubbles...good dialogue...plenty of action without missing a step.
You guys must be collecting some outrageously good comics lately if you think this issue is just so-so or poor:roll:
Either that or your just plain crazy...hmm....Now that I think about it I'll go with crazy!
How people can have a problem with nekked female Ultron drawn by Frank Cho is..is..inconceivable!!:)

I probably wouldn't have been so hard on this if I hadn't read The Midnighter #5 right afterwards. Now there's a good comic.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how Tony picks his team by comparing each of them to Wolverine, Thor and ninjas. After all, it can't be the Avengers if it doesn't have Thor, Wolverine or ninjas.

Yeap, I'm with Craig. Screw this.

Latest posts

Back