It would be stupid to name it Marvelman again. I agree that "Miracleman" is a much better name because it's more descriptive of the character and what he does.

It would be dumb not to piggyback on the previous successes of Moore and Gaiman's.

Indeed, but since when have TPTB at Marvel been accused of being smart?

Still, I can't see Marvel overlooking a way to insert their company name, thus reverting back to Marvelman. Besides, I'm positive we'll see a slew of Omnibus, TPBs, or just individual reprints of the Eclipse issues (maybe re-colored or some other such nonsense) before any continuation of the original series, and most definitly re-lettered to reflect the Marvelman name over Miracleman. I suppose the plan is to retroactively brain-wash us all into accepting Marvelman over Miracleman, now...

...the old school MM fans will be happy, I guess. But Marvelman just sounds so...lame.

Last edited:
Marvelman sounds more like a name for a run-of-the-mill superhero name. Miracleman sounds sort of intentionally ridiculous and over-the-top which I think suits the character, considering the metafictional history of the character, within the plot of the story.

Does that make any sense?

Marvelman sounds more like a name for a run-of-the-mill superhero name. Miracleman sounds sort of intentionally ridiculous and over-the-top which I think suits the character, considering the metafictional history of the character, within the plot of the story.

Does that make any sense?

It makes perfect sense. Especially given the purpose and tone of the story (Moore's portion especially). When it comes down to what Miracleman accomplished, its better described as a miracle than a marvel (though both work in that instance).

On a related note...the Miracelman/Marvelman timeline (by yours truly) is on its way...

The Miracleman / Marvelman Timeline

Book I, Chapter 1 – "1956" (Warrior #1 / Miracleman #1, pg. 1-11)

1956-1961
Marvelman #25-335
Young Marvelman #24-336
Marvelman Family #1-30
Marvelman Annuals #1-8
Young Marvelman Annuals #1-8
Marvelman Album #1-2
Young Marvelman Album #1-2
"Young Miracleman" (Warrior #12 / Miracleman #6, pg. 15-19)

"The Red King Syndrome" (Warrior #17 / Miracleman #4, pg. 19-24; Miracleman #5, pg. 19-24)

Date Unknown
"Cold War, Cold Warrior" (Warrior #9-10 / Axel Pressbutton #2, pg. 16-25)
"Ghostdance" (A1 #1, pg. 8-14)
"Big Ben vs. King Arthur" (Marvelman Special #1)

Book I, Chapter 2 – "…A Dream of Flying" (Warrior #1 / Miracleman #1, pg. 12-19)
Book I, Chapter 3 – "Untitled" (Warrior #2 / Miracleman #1, pg. 20-25)
Book I, Chapter 4 – "When Johnny Comes Marching Home…" (Warrior #3 / Miracleman #1, pg. 26-31)
Book I, Chapter 5 – "Dragons" (Warrior #5 / Miracleman #2, pg. 1-7)
Book I, Chapter 6 – "Fallen Angels, Forgotten Thunder" (Warrior #6 / Miracleman #2, pg. 8-14)
Book I, Chapter 7 – "Secret Identity" (Warrior #7 / Miracleman #2, pg. 15-22)
Book I, Chapter 8 – "Blue Murder" (Warrior #8 / Miracleman #2, pg. 23-29)
Book I, Chapter 9 – "Out of the Dark" (Warrior #9 / Miracleman #3, pg. 1-7)
Book I, Chapter 10 – "Inside Story" (Warrior #10 / Miracleman #3, pg. 8-14)
Book I, Chapter 11 – "Zarathustra" (Warrior #11 / Miracleman #3, pg. 15-22)
"Saturday Morning Pictures" (Marvelman Special #1 / Miracleman 3D Special #1)
Book II, Chapter 1 – "Catgames" (Warrior #13 / Miracleman #4, pg. 1-6)
Book II, Chapter 2 – "One of Those Quiet Moments" (Warrior #14 / Miracleman #4, pg. 7-12)
Book II, Chapter 3 – "Nightmares" (Warrior #15 / Miracleman #4, pg. 13-18)
Book II, Chapter 4 – "The Approaching Light" (Warrior #16 / Miracleman #5, pg. 1-6)
Book II, Chapter 5 – "I Heard Woodrow Wilson's Guns…" (Warrior #18 / Miracleman #5, pg. 7-12)
Book II, Chapter 6 – "A Little Piece of Heaven" (Warrior #20 / Miracleman #5, pg. 13-18)
Book II, Chapter 7 – "…And Every Dog It's Day" (Warrior #21 / Miracleman #6, pg. 1-6)
Book II, Chapter 8 – "All Heads Turn as the Hunt Goes By" (Miracleman #6, pg. 7-14)
Book II, Chapter 9 – "Bodies" (Miracleman #7, pg. 1-8)
Book II, Chapter 10 – "The Wish I Wish Tonight" (Miracleman #7, pg. 9-17)
"Untitled" (Miracleman #8, pg. 1)
Book II, Chapter 11 – "Scenes from the Nativity" (Miracleman #9)
Book II, Chapter 12 – "Mindgames" (Miracleman #10)
Book III, Chapter 1 – "Cronos" (Miracleman #11, pg. 3-15)
Book III, Chapter 2 – "Aphrodite" (Miracleman #12, pg. 4-15)
Book III, Chapter 3 – "Hermes" (Miracleman #13, pg. 4-15)
Book III, Chapter 4 – "Pantheon" (Miracleman #14, pg. 2-7)

Book III, Chapter 4 – "Pantheon" (Miracleman #14, pg. 8-12)

Book III, Chapter 4 – "Pantheon" (Miracleman #14, pg. 13-15)
Book III, Chapter 5 – "Nemesis" (Miracleman #15, pg. 2-9)
"The Yesterday Gambit" (Warrior #4 – Summer Special, pg. 1-10)
Book III, Chapter 5 – "Nemesis" (Miracleman #15, pg. 10-21)
Book III, Chapter 6 – "Olympus" (Miracleman #16, pg. 5-11)

Book III, Chapter 6 – "Olympus" (Miracleman #16, pg. 12-23)

Book III, Chapter 1 – "Cronos" (Miracleman #11, pg. 1-2, 16)
Book III, Chapter 2 – "Aphrodite" (Miracleman #12, pg. 1-3, 16)
Book III, Chapter 6 – "Olympus" (Miracleman #16, pg. 24-27)
Book IV, Chapter 1 – "A Prayer and a Hope" (Miracleman #17)
Book III, Chapter 3 – "Hermes" (Miracleman #13, pg. 1-3, 16)
Book III, Chapter 4 – "Pantheon" (Miracleman #14, pg. 1-2, 4, 6-8, 10, 12-13, 16)
Book III, Chapter 5 – "Nemesis" (Miracleman #15, pg. 1, 22)

Book III, Chapter 6 – "Olympus" (Miracleman #16, pg. 1-4, 28-34)
"Nightmares" (Total Eclipse #2)
"Heroes and Villains" (Total Eclipse #3)
"Rebirth! (Total Eclipse #4)
"Finale!" (Total Eclipse #5)

Book IV, Chapter 2 – "Skin Deep" (Miracleman #18, pg. 1-16)
"Trends" (Miracleman #18, pg. 17-24)

Book IV, Chapter 3 – "Notes From the Underground" (Miracleman #19)
Book IV, Chapter 4 – "Winter's Tale" (Miracleman #20)

Book IV, Chapter 5 – "Spy Story" (Miracleman #21, pg. 1-20)
Book IV, Chapter 6 – "Carnival" (Miracleman #22, pg. 1-26)
Miracleman – Apochrypha #1
Miracleman – Apochrypha #2
Miracleman – Apochrypha #3

"Retrieval, Part 1" (Miracleman #17, pg. 25-26)
"Retrieval, Part 2" (Miracleman #18, pg. 25-26)
"Retrieval, Part 3" (Miracleman #19, pg. 25-26)
"Retrieval, Part 4" (Miracleman #20, pg. 27-28)
"Retrieval, Part 5" (Miracleman #21, pg. 21-22)
"Retrieval, Part 6" (Miracleman #22, pg. 27-30)
Book V, Chapter 1 – "The Secret Origin of Young Miracleman" (Miracleman #23)
Book V, Chapter 2 – "When Titans Clash!" (Miracleman #24)

Here it is, The Miracleman / Marvelman Timeline. It includes everything Miracleman or Marvelman related:

Miracleman #1-24
Miracleman 3D Special #1
Miracleman - Apochrypha #1-3
Total Eclipse #2-5 (MM didn't appear in #1)
"The Yesterday Gambit"
Warpsmiths Stories
Big Ben Stories

Miracleman Family #1-2 aren't included, since they just reprint old Marvelman titles, which are covered under the "dreams" anyway.

The early adventures (the dreams) are italicized, and the Warpsmiths and Big Ben stories are colored gray to differentiate. The various short stories are place in quotations.

The original printing (from Warrior) is listed first, then the reprints by Eclipse (at least until the all new material done for Eclipse).

I'm hoping that since Marvel has obtained the rights to Miracleman, that they'll go ahead and release the previous stories so those of us who haven't been able to read this finally get a chance to.

I tried re-reading this recently and I just couldn't do it. This story can't be properly re-read on a computer screen.

Which one of you guys was it that made the MM trade paperbacks for fifty bucks? Random?

Also, does it irritate anyone else the way Young Miracleman and Kid Miracleman don't say "Kimota" (which is awesome) to activate their powers, but instead say "Miracleman"? Mick Anglo fail.

Last edited:
I tried re-reading this recently and I just couldn't do it. This story can't be properly re-read on a computer screen.

Which one of you guys was it that made the MM trade paperbacks for fifty bucks? Random?

Also, does it irritate anyone else the way Young Miracleman and Kid Miracleman don't say "Kimota" (which is awesome) to activate their powers, but instead say "Miracleman"? Mick Anglo fail.

Ummm, well, maybe. For $50 yeah, but you'll also have to cover any lawsuits that may occur...

Last edited:

I did it, but I don't think it cost quite $50. Maybe closer to $30. But a huge part of that was being able to print the pages for free, which would be pretty hard to do. I don't even have access to that printer anymore, so I wouldn't be able to do it again.

I'm only 4 issues into this and I had to step back and take a break.

It's that good.

Finally. Finally. Finally I can see what everyone is raving about.

It better be. If I get to the end of Moore's run and my mind isn't blown, then there's gonna be one upset local Afghani.

Because that's who I'm gonna punch.

Then you guys. Thru the internet. Not sure on the details for how that action is gonna happen.....but I'm working on it.

It better be. If I get to the end of Moore's run and my mind isn't blown, then there's gonna be one upset local Afghani.

Because that's who I'm gonna punch.

Then you guys. Thru the internet. Not sure on the details for how that action is gonna happen.....but I'm working on it.

Is there an opposite reaction if you love it (because you will)? Like virtual back rubs or hand shakes for us all? Its only fair, right? And that poor Afghani could probably use one as well.

Is there an opposite reaction if you love it (because you will)? Like virtual back rubs or hand shakes for us all? Its only fair, right? And that poor Afghani could probably use one as well.

Not sure yet. Acts of benevolence aren't really my thing.

I suppose maybe some virtual chest-bumps?

The downside right now is that Htmlcomic site is down and I'm right in the middle of MiracleMan. I'm at issue 11 or 12. And now I have no clue when I will be able to finish it?!?!?!

haha, i hope you love it just so I can hear on the news that "an American soldier has been reported chasing down local Afghanis. When questioned, he reported that he only wanted to give them a back rub."

The downside right now is that Htmlcomic site is down and I'm right in the middle of MiracleMan. I'm at issue 11 or 12. And now I have no clue when I will be able to finish it?!?!?!

It's working for me.

No one has yet to tell a fight like this. It's not what happens, but the way it is told. It is totally unique to me.

Yes! The narrative is completely unique. The whole tone - resignation mixed with regret and hope - is wonderful. There's no villains giving a play-by-play of their every move and laying out their plans, no heroes scolding them verbally throughout. It's a horrible battle and the characters talk like you would expect them to, and the narration is the icing on the cake.

That one page, when you read it for the first time... how did you feel?

I felt like if I had read that when it came out originally it would have turned comics as a story-telling medium completely upside down for me. The switch from 1956 to 1982(?), in a metaphorical sense, was completely groundbreaking. I've read stories that were good in their own right that took from this idea, but to use an actual example of the watered-down superhero comic of the 60s and 70s and switch to this horrible, dark theme with terrorists talking about selling nukes to the highest bidder...that would have changed everything for me. I wish I had been there when it happened originally. That one issue completely deconstructed superhero comics.

I have still not read this. **** marvel for not getting their ducks in a row and releasing it. If they can't reprint it then whats the point of owning the other Marvelman/Miracleman rights?

I have still not read this. **** marvel for not getting their ducks in a row and releasing it. If they can't reprint it then whats the point of owning the other Marvelman/Miracleman rights?

There are some rights issues that might not be cleared up still. I think it was Gary Leach that created the Warpsmiths so in order to reprint any issues with the Warpsmiths in it they have to get his OK. The Warpsmiths are integral.

Also, weren't they having problems getting the OK from Alan Davis? Or was it someone else? Alan Moore has signed off on it and reprints might not have his name on them. I believe Gaiman and Buckingham are excited to be able to continue their story.

I was able to get issue 24 the other day, which is probably the hardest issue to find. I read that there were only around 6500 printed.

All I need are issues 20 and 23 and I will have them all.

Latest posts

Back