Also, Bass - did you ever read the 10-page piece that was never reprinted for comics? The story behind it is incredible.

E said:
I was able to get issue 24 the other day, which is probably the hardest issue to find. I read that there were only around 6500 printed.

All I need are issues 20 and 23 and I will have them all.

I had all issues except the ridiculously priced #15, but had to sell them a few years ago when I moved (I sold a huge portion of my collection at the time). I've yet to forgive myself for that. Also had a majority if the Warrior original run mags, and the Miracleman companion. I'm gonna go cry now.

E said:
Also, Bass - did you ever read the 10-page piece that was never reprinted for comics? The story behind it is incredible.

Do tell, I'm not sure I've heard of that one. Was it something originally printed in Warrior? I'm trying to remember, I recall there was short story involving MM and one of the Warpsmiths going to his lair or something, and if I recall correctly was something of a lead in to the events of #15. Now my curiosity is eating me alive.

Just checked, yup, it's that one. I used to have it. It's only available in the Warrior #4 mag (Summer Special). It's not necessarily an alternate story as it's listed on the Wikipedia page. From what I remember, it can fit in just before or during the events of #15.

If you're interested theres one available on EBay:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=261035056502

Last edited:
DiB is right - during issue 15, MM and the Warpsmith go off to collect energy in a 3 page (I think) sequence. That little side mission was actually shown in the Warrior Summer Special, which came out waaaaaay back before Chapter 3, which is during the first fight with Kid Miracleman. It shows how far in advance and how detailed Alan Moore had his story planned out.

The sequence was never reprinted in the US; never colorized and never collected.

Send me your email address and I will email it to you.

DiB - that is awesome. I have most of the issues but I want to try and find the original Warrior magazines. I can't tell how hard they are to find and I haven't dug too deep into it, but that's my next thing.

You'll be able to find most of the Warrior issues no problem. The Summer Special that story is printed in is a but tough to find, and the later issues can be hard to find (#20-26). I can't remember specifically if the Miracleman stories run through them all, though I think so. Before I sold my collection, I was missing only #26, which I think was the last issue and may have had a more limited print run.

Also, the Miracleman Companion is worth a read, it's a breakdown of the whole saga of Marvelman/Miracleman from it's beginnings under Mick Anglo, it's resurrection by Moore for Warrior and it's reprinting in the US by Eclipse, and the rights issues court battles between McFarlane and others. Definitely an interesting read if that interests you. It too, unfortunately, is now kind of pricey.

You'll be able to find most of the Warrior issues no problem. The Summer Special that story is printed in is a but tough to find, and the later issues can be hard to find (#20-26). I can't remember specifically if the Miracleman stories run through them all, though I think so. Before I sold my collection, I was missing only #26, which I think was the last issue and may have had a more limited print run.

Also, the Miracleman Companion is worth a read, it's a breakdown of the whole saga of Marvelman/Miracleman from it's beginnings under Mick Anglo, it's resurrection by Moore for Warrior and it's reprinting in the US by Eclipse, and the rights issues court battles between McFarlane and others. Definitely an interesting read if that interests you. It too, unfortunately, is now kind of pricey.

Miracleman didn't appear in all of the Warrior issues. I have scans of all of them and have skimmed them. He doesn't appear in most of the last few issues, and Big Ben appears pretty regularly.

EDIT - I just checked - he doesn't appear past #21 and is also missing from #19.

I definitely want to track down the Miracleman Companion...I don't think I've even seen a scan of that.

Fun fact: Eclipse had well-known artists draw the covers of the Miracleman issues to boost sales. Jim Starlin did #4 and put a bust of Thanos on in the background - on the shelf behind MM:

23471-3537-26164-1-miracleman_super.jpg

So the Marvel-issued #1 is out today.

I haven't gotten my hands on the printed issue but I bought and read the digital version first thing this morning and it is absolutely beautiful. The new colors are fantastic and so clear and crisp. The original #1 had major print quality issues with the color which were largely fixed in the first TPB but this...this is something else. Some purists might hate the idea but it needed to be done, and recoloring reprints or reissues of older comics is the norm now.

There are a few extras but some of them like the Joe Quesadilla interview with Mick Anglo - I'm pretty sure those were in some other Marvelman reprints already. There are some kind-of-interesting art-in-progress stuff and a couple of meaningless Marvelman reprints included, and all of this stuff just seems thrown in in order to justify charging $2 more for the comic.

My gripes - I don't like the price, and I don't like not getting a free digital copy with the print version. They do it with all (or most) of their big books and they should do it with this. I get why but it just makes them look like money grubbers.

Also, I didn't care for the aged paper effect they gave the "1956" prelude pages.

But all in all they did a good job with it and I'm not *too* peeved that I'll end up spending $12 on this issue alone (not counting whatever variants I'm able to find eventually). I wouldn't do this for any other book, and it's certainly something I will keep in mind the next time I see a Marvel comic on the shelf that I'm considering checking out. But this is Miracleman and it is special, so it is what it is.

I'm pretty annoyed at it being $6 and not having a code. I do agree that the new coloring is fantastic. It Edmonds me of the absolute Sandman re-colors. Just a huge leap from crappy eighties coloring.

I posted that after I read the digital version and it seemed like it ended abruptly but I didn't say anything until I could get home to compare to the original #1, which I wanted to do anyway to compare the color job.

The new #1 doesn't have the final chapter (part 4) that is in the original #1. The part where Liz and Mike go visit Johnny and Mike pushes Johnny off the roof. it ends with Johnny seeing Miracleman on TV and exclaiming that he's going to ruin everything.

At first I was ticked but I'm hoping they are just going to move it to issue 2 and they just did that in order to make room for the extras at the end of #1. It's also possible that they are re-editing everything in order to make up for #8 since that wasn't an Alan Moore issue and only contained worthless old Marvelman reprints, but I hope not. Ultimately I don't care if they are shuffling parts around for the early Warrior chapters but if they are adding issues to this I'm going to feel ripped off.

The solicitation for #2 says,

Issue #2 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1-5, plus bonus material.

I'd have to dig up my Warrior scans to see what that is. Something isn't right because Miracleman #1 included material from Warrior #1-3...why would Miracleman #2 include the same material?

From the April solicitations:

MIRACLEMAN BOOK 1: A DREAM OF FLYING PREMIERE HC
Written by THE ORIGINAL WRITER with MICK ANGLO
Penciled by GARRY LEACH & ALAN DAVIS with DON LAWRENCE, STEVE DILLON & PAUL NEARY
Covers by ALAN DAVIS & JOE QUESADA
KIMOTA! With one magic word, a long-forgotten legend lives again! Freelance reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more—now, an unexpected series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny as Miracleman! The groundbreaking graphic novel that heralded a literary revolution begins here in A DREAM OF FLYING. After nearly two decades away, Miracleman uncovers his origins and their connection to the British military's "Project Zarathustra" — while his alter ego, Michael Moran, must reconcile his life as the lesser half of a god. Collecting material from MIRACLEMAN (2014) #1-4.
152 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC …$29.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5462-4
Trim size: standard
MIRACLEMAN BOOK 1: A DREAM OF FLYING PREMIERE HC QUESADA COVER (DM ONLY)
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9087-5

MIRACLEMAN2014V1MPHC-7c0e8.jpg

MIRACLEMAN2014MPHC-cov-46811.jpg

I'm pretty annoyed at it being $6 and not having a code. I do agree that the new coloring is fantastic. It Edmonds me of the absolute Sandman re-colors. Just a huge leap from crappy eighties coloring.

Yep. It reminds me of the Absolute Watchmen recoloring, which I loved. I do not understand why it is so reviled. it looks so much better.

From the April solicitations:

MIRACLEMAN BOOK 1: A DREAM OF FLYING PREMIERE HC
Written by THE ORIGINAL WRITER with MICK ANGLO
Penciled by GARRY LEACH & ALAN DAVIS with DON LAWRENCE, STEVE DILLON & PAUL NEARY
Covers by ALAN DAVIS & JOE QUESADA
KIMOTA! With one magic word, a long-forgotten legend lives again! Freelance reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more—now, an unexpected series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny as Miracleman! The groundbreaking graphic novel that heralded a literary revolution begins here in A DREAM OF FLYING. After nearly two decades away, Miracleman uncovers his origins and their connection to the British military's "Project Zarathustra" — while his alter ego, Michael Moran, must reconcile his life as the lesser half of a god. Collecting material from MIRACLEMAN (2014) #1-4.
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5462-4
MIRACLEMAN BOOK 1: A DREAM OF FLYING PREMIERE HC QUESADA COVER (DM ONLY)
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9087-5

$30 for 4 issues (152 pages).

4 issues.

$30.

I've seen Marvel hardcovers with 20 more pages going for less than half that.

Marvel, you suck.

$30 for 4 issues (152 pages).

4 issues.

$30.

I've seen Marvel hardcovers with 20 more pages going for less than half that.

Marvel, you suck.
As much as I'd love a hardcover set of miracleman but **** that.

Latest posts

Back