Avengers New Avengers discussion (#1-20; spoilers)

Well, Bendis is keeping the Sentry as an ongoing character, so I doubt hes's going to unravel him completely. I read a theory somewhere that the Sentry's status as "fictional" might be a safeguard built in by Dr Strange or some such, in case someone comes close to remembering him.

UltimateE said:
That sounds perfect. :D
Yup, it does. :D

Wow... I'm surprised you guys liked it that much. If this was a DD issue I'd be livid right now. Bendis is ****ing with Sentry mythos entirely and you guys are happy about that? I'm not the biggest Sentry fan but I'm pretty pissed about the issue. It wasn't that good.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Bendis is ****ing with Sentry mythos entirely

You sure about that? Because I'm not. I wouldn't draw conclusions on the arc based on one line (a cliffhanger no less). There's a lot more going on. I like the Doctor Strange theory and think it will be something along those lines.

UltimateE said:
You sure about that? Because I'm not. I wouldn't draw conclusions on the arc based on one line (a cliffhanger no less).
Good point.

UltimateE said:
There's a lot more going on. I like the Doctor Strange theory and think it will be something along those lines.
I didn't understand the Doc Strange Theory last night when I read it so I didn't comment on it. That does make a lot of sense and would be cool.

The fact that Jenkins was brought in at all just makes it really bad to me. There's other ways to make him look fictional, that is if the strange theory is fabricated. If it's not, what other road do we have to go by? And other than that, was the rest of the issue really any better?

I think that the way Bendis is making him look fictional is a cool idea. Its not that bad, and I dont think any other reason would make it better.

TheManWithoutFear said:
And other than that, was the rest of the issue really any better?

I loved the Wrecker fight and seeing the guy's villain costume collection was very cool. Great couple of scenes there.

UltimateE said:
I loved the Wrecker fight and seeing the guy's villain costume collection was very cool. Great couple of scenes there.

The supervillain collection was a nice touch.

The Wrecker battle just seemed generic to me and the fact that they couldn't handle him at all just made me sick. I'm sure this won't be the last time we see a fight that's just like this one.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The Wrecker battle just seemed generic to me and the fact that they couldn't handle him at all just made me sick. I'm sure this won't be the last time we see a fight that's just like this one.

You'd hate what happened in Toxin, then. :D

Toxin pretty much took out Wrecker and another guy without breaking a sweat.

Every single one of Bendis' characters talks and reacts the same to every situation, considering he has like five characters. "Villain Man", "Hero Man", "Unsure Man", "Authority Figure Man", and "Confident Woman Man".

Jeez, I love the Sentry and McNiven and tried to like the issue - but dear God. Wrecker is just like every villain BMB has ever done. The speech patterns are always the same. "I have the power of a God!" Every time he says that I just thought, "no you don't. You have a ****ing enchanted crow bar." I'd like it more if these god-like villains did something god-like rather than just run away when someone broke them out of prison. I get the idea Wrecker is tootin' his own horn, but then "Villain Man" always does.

And of course, we have all the powerful superheroes meet up and instead of being awe-stricken, it was dull considering that they just say around and had a bit of a chinwag. It's just a goddamn soap opera.

All talking. All coincidental action. All meaningless. All bollocks. All the time.

icemastertron said:
Holy ********* crap!!!!!

Loved the issue. The fight scene with Wrecker was soo funny. Im loving Bendis in this arc. Really. really cool. When I saw Spidey being hit in the air, I quickly thought, "TEAM ROCKETS BLASTING AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIN....". :lol:

But THE best part in the issue was the last page. Awesomeness. I think that what happened there can be really cool, if Bendis can pull it off right. If not, Im flying to Portland, Oregon and paying him a little visit.

COME ON PART 2 AND 3 IN AGAUST!!!! :rockon:

Come on, no mention of the bikini girl!? THAT was the best part. :lol:

Oh, and could someone kindly answer my question from the first page? It would be very much appreciated. :D

Eh. It was okay. I'm realy hoping that Bendis doesn't wall back on "have a fight with a raft escapie" every time he wants to pad an issue.

Hey, funny thought. If we had dropped that bit, andhad the Jenkins part halfway through the issue instead as a cliffhanger then maybe the arc could have been 3 issues instead of 4 and we'd have gotten Ultiamte Secret without a fill in artist?

Jenkins is probably a red herring. It's all misdirection, and could be done alot better. This titleis consistantly slipping from the enjoyment I used to get.

Loved the issue except the whole jenkins thing, even if it is mis-direction it just didnt sit right with me, you know? i was expecting a scene where iron man`s all like this "And this Mr Reynolds is Brian Bendis he is currently writing everything i say, infact were all comic book characters and the mythos of superheroes has ended ,good bye" followed by a blank page, im all for reality in comics but not THAT real.

ultimatedjf said:
Question: how is Iron Man going around when Tony is standing around those panels? Actually, is that the interior of his suit? Cuz that's the only explanation I can think of.

Yeah, its sort of the virual interior. They've used it before.

Ok, I'm a little continuity confused. We have Toxin and the Avengers both capturing the Wreaker. How does that work since both captures are a follow-up of the Raft incident. Did Wreker break out [again] after being captured by Toxin or the Avengers? I'm going to the continuity project site to see what they make of it.

Ultxon said:
Ok, I'm a little continuity confused. We have Toxin and the Avengers both capturing the Wreaker. How does that work since both captures are a follow-up of the Raft incident. Did Wreker break out [again] after being captured by Toxin or the Avengers? I'm going to the continuity project site to see what they make of it.

Avengers didn't capture him. The last we saw of that fight was Wrecker squared off against Spider-Woman.

I already forgot what happened in Toxin, whether he was apprehended or not.

Tomar said:
Loved the issue except the whole jenkins thing, even if it is mis-direction it just didnt sit right with me, you know? i was expecting a scene where iron man`s all like this "And this Mr Reynolds is Brian Bendis he is currently writing everything i say, infact were all comic book characters and the mythos of superheroes has ended ,good bye" followed by a blank page, im all for reality in comics but not THAT real.
So I'm thinking you should stay away from alot of what Grant Morrison has written...

Latest posts

Back