Nextwave series discussion (Spoilers!)

Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen are the most creatively hilarious writers in comics today.

I love when Nextwave mocks Marvel. It's like when The Simpsons used to mock FOX.

The Mindless Ones dancing down the street snapping their fingers ala West Side Story was the greatest thing I've ever read from Nextwave.

Well except Dirk Anger's excuse as to why he's old and what he eats for dinner.

I love when Nextwave mocks Marvel. It's like when The Simpsons used to mock FOX.

They still do. Last season they took a tour of the Fox studios lot; all I remember is there was this big golden statue dedicated to Mischa Barton.

The Mindless Ones dancing down the street snapping their fingers ala West Side Story was the greatest thing I've ever read from Nextwave.

Agreed. I don't think I've ever laughed as much while reading a comic than I did with that page.

I thought issue 8 was a little step down from the seventh, but that's only because I loved the seventh more than any of the previous issues. I'm still upset that there was no letters page tho'. It's either that the story was more than 23 pages, or there wasn't enough letters to merit a whole page. If it was the latter, that would be very depressing.

They still do. Last season they took a tour of the Fox studios lot; all I remember is there was this big golden statue dedicated to Mischa Barton.
:? But the real Simpsons hasn't been on for years...

Last edited:
imwithnextwave.jpg

I almost died I laughed so hard.

The Mindless Ones acting just like ordinary people was the best social commentary, like ever.

#8 rocked my face off.

"In the real world, peoople do sometimes run out of shotgun shells. Hollywood lies to you constantly."

"Now, in honour of your newfound skills ... circumcise the Hideous Felch-Monster of Bihar Province."

"...You spelled your name wrong, Tabby."

"Did not!"

"T-A-B-Y."

"See?"

"The H.A.T.E. Aeromarine, which we have to show you every now and again so people can make new signatures and icons for their Web use."

"General Anger?"

"I'm in a meeting.

With my Maker."

"GAAHHKKK

HHGGKKK"

"What's he doing in there?"

"Those are the sounds he makes when he looks at those illegal Web sites."

"First I'm gonna kill whoever's in there, then I'm gonna **** them, then I'm going to make a joke, then I'm gonna **** them again.

I'm gonna be a superhero."

"You have violated my gate of fire!

Which is not the title of an adult movie!"

"And, as the sun finally crested the horizon and the hideous squeeling noises faded away, a new day began to dawn over this little town I can't remeber the name of.

It had been a long, strange night for the Nextwave Squad. One of them finally had his turn at winning. One of them even had something approaching a Character Moment.

You can be damn sure we won't let **** like that happen again."

Ah, Nextwave truly is love.

Nextwave is ending January?!?!?! :shock: :cry: :furious:

What the hell?!?!? Looks like I gotta add "wrist slitting" to February on the calendar. :cry:

It was only supposed to go 12 issues from the start.

At least Warren Ellis's writing of it anyway.

It's disapointing... I really thought this would be an ongoing Ellis effort... I am glad that they're not risking it being trivialized by switching creative teams.

But i'm not sure if it was ever really stated outright that this was only a 12 issue series.

from Bad Signal:

Okay. I just this second got the go-ahead from Nick Lowe to talk about this. So here we go:

Sales on the singles are okay, if not great. Sales on the first collection have apparently been terrific.

We were on such a roll with NEXTWAVE that I was actually into the idea of doing a second year, which is highly unusual for me and
work-for-hire properties. So Marvel sat down and looked at the numbers,
as they wanted to do a second year too.

What they found was that, at our current sales levels, they could afford for me to write it, but not for Stuart to draw it. Stuart, as a Marvel-exclusive artist, commands a fee commensurate with his astonishing talent. I'm WFH-exclusive too, but they just send me whisky and loose women and I'm fine. So, basically, I could continue to write NEXTWAVE, but we'd need to find another artist. This, to me, was just wrong. I mean, Stuart would obviously be given a far better job that had actual readers attached to it, but it still seemed a bit like the numbers were conspiring to fire him for doing his job too well.
Everyone at Marvel pitched in to try and make it work, but the numbers were just against us.

So NEXTWAVE #12 will be the final issue of the ongoing series.

(To clear up a common misconception: NEXTWAVE was always pitched as an ongoing series. However, my original intent was to do 12 and then pass it on to someone else. This got garbled, somewhere down the chain of communication, and so the first issue or two got solicited as "part xxx of 12".)

However. The numbers game changes when you posit things in terms of limited series.

NEXTWAVE #12 will be the last issue of the ongoing series: but there will be more NEXTWAVE to come, presented as a sequence of limited series.

This was all worked out some months ago, so I had plenty of time to work the final NEXTWAVE sequence into a conclusion of sorts.
#11 even features a twelve-page spread that you'll have to buy six copies of the comic to assemble into its full splendour. Everyone wishes I'd thought of that eight or nine months ago.

That was the news. Return to your duties.

-- W

(feel free to copy and spread far and wide, thereby saving me the job.)

Latest posts

Back