Nextwave series discussion (Spoilers!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis
NEXTWAVE #12 will be the last issue of the ongoing series: but there will be more NEXTWAVE to come, presented as a sequence of limited series.

Well, at least we can look forward to more Nextwave in the future.

ellis sent it out, I posted it - credit where credit's due please :)

You're about a week late.

You're about a week late.

He was the guy who posted it first....

That's why his statement confused me, see.

from Bad Signal:

Okay. I just this second got the go-ahead from Nick Lowe to talk about this. So here we go:

Sales on the singles are okay, if not great. Sales on the first collection have apparently been terrific.

We were on such a roll with NEXTWAVE that I was actually into the idea of doing a second year, which is highly unusual for me and
work-for-hire properties. So Marvel sat down and looked at the numbers,
as they wanted to do a second year too.

What they found was that, at our current sales levels, they could afford for me to write it, but not for Stuart to draw it. Stuart, as a Marvel-exclusive artist, commands a fee commensurate with his astonishing talent. I'm WFH-exclusive too, but they just send me whisky and loose women and I'm fine. So, basically, I could continue to write NEXTWAVE, but we'd need to find another artist. This, to me, was just wrong. I mean, Stuart would obviously be given a far better job that had actual readers attached to it, but it still seemed a bit like the numbers were conspiring to fire him for doing his job too well.
Everyone at Marvel pitched in to try and make it work, but the numbers were just against us.

So NEXTWAVE #12 will be the final issue of the ongoing series.

(To clear up a common misconception: NEXTWAVE was always pitched as an ongoing series. However, my original intent was to do 12 and then pass it on to someone else. This got garbled, somewhere down the chain of communication, and so the first issue or two got solicited as "part xxx of 12".)

However. The numbers game changes when you posit things in terms of limited series.

NEXTWAVE #12 will be the last issue of the ongoing series: but there will be more NEXTWAVE to come, presented as a sequence of limited series.

This was all worked out some months ago, so I had plenty of time to work the final NEXTWAVE sequence into a conclusion of sorts.
#11 even features a twelve-page spread that you'll have to buy six copies of the comic to assemble into its full splendour. Everyone wishes I'd thought of that eight or nine months ago.

That was the news. Return to your duties.

-- W

(feel free to copy and spread far and wide, thereby saving me the job.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Ellis

Well, at least we can look forward to more Nextwave in the future.

ellis sent it out, I posted it - credit where credit's due please :)

See?

I'm confused.....

"You think this letter on my chest stands for America?!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I almost **** myself laughing when I read that! :lol:

It's stuff like that that makes the whole issue worthwhile.

I almost died laughing

Also: I want "The Homosexuals" to show up.

Me too. I can't wait to see just how their gonna portray this...

Plus Tabby's "ZOMG! OH NOES!" moment was just pure hilarious!

NEXTWAVE.....

I love how Elsa's shirt is just one huge buildup to the joke in the end. :lol: How many of you guys saw that coming?

How do you pronounce 'ZOMG'? :wink:

Last edited:
It's great jokes like this that make me sad this is ending. But at least I can still hope for limited series minis.

Unless they plan on putting this into TPB form...I might have to break down and grab the HC.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

AWESOME.

with every great laugh comes a tear that it's ending.

Does anyone here remember Forbush Man? He was a bit before my time, but I do have a few old issues of Not Brand Echh somewhere.

Those crap Avengers were great.

Those new superheroes all deserve their own solo book written by Ellis and drawn by Immonen.

bad signal
WARREN ELLIS

quick note before sinking back into the work morass to mention
that NEXTWAVE #10 comes out in the US tomorrow, and that
it's a bit... odd. Um. Yes. It's definitely a bit odd. I didn't feel
quite right in the headguts while writing it. And I think I'd
probably just read Brendan McCarthy's issue of SOLO, and... yeah.

Sorry.

-- W

That gets me off.

#10. This is the first issue of Nextwave that I actually didn't really like. It wasn't bad......but it's different.

Ellis/Immonen start off with the usual awesomeness....but then the Forbush Man unleashed his weird "flashy mind trick" and then the book gets dark and depressing. We get single stories of Monica, Aaron Stack, Elsa and The Captain in their own little worlds of depression. It's weird. Plus Immonen changes his art style to the non-cartoonish look. But I like all of Immonen's art so that didn't bother me.

Then we see the "real world" in which Nextwave operates. Forbush man is standing over the team proclaiming that he's defeated them all.

But then Tabby shows up. Forbush Man tries to do the same attack on her.....but then he says "My attack something somethings the mind.....but you don't seem to have one." Tabby replies with "ZOMG. Boom."

He blows up....the team wakes up....retaliate and it's to be continued.

So yeah. This is a more subdued issue. Still some funny parts....but none that really standout.

Still........NEXTWAVE!!@!!!1!11!

Latest posts

Back