Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (spoilers)

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

These movies dont feel like a trilogy. 1 was a very standalone movie. Then 2 started a new story which continued to 3.

Right, CotBP was standalone. DMC and AWE were one continuing story.

Last edited:

I just got back from watching this. I only really went because a friend invited me to go with him and his girlfriend, because he feels uncomfortable alone with her while she's watching a bunch of guys who are more attractive than he is running on the big screen. I decided to go because his girlfriend is teh hawtness.

I went in with low expectations. And the first few scenes, Indonesia in particular, boosted my hopes; I thought it was a great setup for the plot. And yet, I was led astray. About an hour in, nothing had happened yet and I was bored out of my mind. Honestly, I didn't really care about any of the characters, or their stupid subplots. The only thing that kept me going was Kierra Knightley looking very good throughout the whole film. However, this was basically countered by how much Orlando Bloom pisses me off.

I want my $10 back. I'd give the movie a 4 or 5 out of ten, only because it was stunning, visually.

I want to establish something: I LOVE the first two "Pirates" films. They're two of the best, most perfectly executed movies ever made(or at least of this generation). I went into this one with high expectations....

...but it really just wasn't that good.:(

It just.... it's like they forgot what made the first two films so special: the tounge-in-cheek, the wit, the charm, the stunts-that-no-one's-ever-done-before. Stuff like the pole vaulting scene, the duel in the barn, the three-way swordfight with the water-wheel and all that.

And the plot..... blistering barnacles that was nuts. I was one of the few people I know who actually didn't have trouble following the plot of the second one.... but with this one, I just gave up halfway through. It was like they took the script of the The Big Lebowski, replaced the characters and sets, added about 20 new plot lines and diversions, and then deliberately put it all together out-of-order.:dazed:

The was almost nothing new, and when there was, it was almost never that interesting, and when it was, I could almost never tell why it was happening and what it meant.

So, it dissapoints me to say....6/10. And if it hadn't been for Geoffrey Rush, it would've been a 3 or 4.
:(

I pretty much agree with Doom and Planet-man. It was pretty boring most of the time. I actually had no problem at all with the plot, while parts of 2 did confuse me a bit.

I was surprised at how good Keith Richards was in his small role.

I want a stand alone fourth that's more in spirit with the first, which actually is quite different than 2 and 3.

It's a trilogy the same way Star Wars and Matrix are trilogies. One stand alone movie that spawned two connected sequels.

A trilogy is one story broken into three parts. That's not true here for Pirates.

A trilogy is one story broken into three parts. That's not true here for Pirates.

It's not true for Star Wars or Matrix either.

Or most trilogies, honestly, which usually go one story at a time, like Spider-Man or X-Men.

It's not true for Star Wars or Matrix either.
Actually, I'd say it is. At least for SW.

But a trilogy can be interpreted in different ways. No ones really right or wrong. This is just the way I see it.

Last edited:

This is still a trilogy, albiet a bad one. These last two movies could have been a 3-hour (at max) second film, followed by a better third one. Honestly, there were about 45 minutes worth watching in Pirates 2 and 3 each.

Actually, I'd say it is. At least for SW.

No. You can really tell A New Hope wasn't meant to be more than what it was. Hell, it wasn't even called "A New Hope" until later.

Vader wasn't meant to be Luke's father. It's very obvious. And "Darth" was meant to be a first name, not a title, by when Ben addresses Vader that way.

No. You can really tell A New Hope wasn't meant to be more than what it was. Hell, it wasn't even called "A New Hope" until later.

Vader wasn't meant to be Luke's father. It's very obvious. And "Darth" was meant to be a first name, not a title, by when Ben addresses Vader that way.
Like I said, and it says so in the meaning of a trilogy, it can be interpreted in different ways. So yes, it is.

Like I said, and it says so in the meaning of a trilogy, it can be interpreted in different ways. So yes, it is.

Well, I'm not arguing that its not a trilogy. That's obvious. Three movies, all connected.

What I'm saying is it likely wasn't meant to be a trilogy. Like Pirates was not meant to be a trilogy.

Lucas wrote A New Hope as part of a series of like a dozen stories making up one long saga. He thought he'd only be able to film one, so he gave ANH a somewhat conclusive ending, but made sure to leave it mostly open so he could continue filming the story if it was a success.

In other words, not only was it made to be a trilogy, it was made to be a six+ ilogy.

Vader wasn't meant to be Luke's father. It's very obvious.

What's very obvious to me is that "Vater" means "father" in German.

Last edited:

I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I think it helped that I watched the second one RIGHT before seeing it... I loved the visuals... I've always disliked Will Turner and Elizabeth, but I definitely enjoyed Elizabeth in this movie.

The weird experimental stuff with Jack was also fantastic.

I was grinning from ear to ear from start to finish. It even managed to turn off my critic sense, I was enjoying it FAR to much to let each flaw hit me as hard as I let it when I watch other movies.

8 out of 10.

By FAR the best Threequel of the year. (Spidey 3 and Shrek 3 were equally rubbish)

And it definitely outdid virtually everything I've seen this year... This hasn't been a great year for film.

Last edited:

Lucas wrote A New Hope as part of a series of like a dozen stories making up one long saga. He thought he'd only be able to film one, so he gave ANH a somewhat conclusive ending, but made sure to leave it mostly open so he could continue filming the story if it was a success.

In other words, not only was it made to be a trilogy, it was made to be a six+ ilogy.

Yes, George Lucas says that. I don't believe it, however.

What's very obvious to me is that "Vater" means "father" in German.

He also wasn't originally called "Darth Vader" in early scripts. Ben's "certain point of view" retcon seems so tacked on, it's ridiculous. Hell, I find it just as hard to believe that Leia was originally supposed to be Luke's sister.

So what actually happens after the credits? Is it just
sexytime for Will and Elizabeth
or is there something more?

It was pure awesome.

I can't describe how much I loved the movie.

Depp was his entertaining self and Rush was almost just as entertaining.

I loved them arguing over who's Captain.

I wanted those two asian chicks in the movie more. They were so hot.

And Knightly was teh hott.

Richard's small role was brillant. The ending was kinda iffy but not bad.

Jack's hell was entertaining. As was the entire movie.

So what actually happens after the credits? Is it just
sexytime for Will and Elizabeth
or is there something more?

Elizabeth is waiting 10 years later for Will to return with their son and you see the Dutchman surface just offshore of where they're standing.

Do we really need spoiler tags anymore? Maybe the thread could be marked spoilers.

If they do a fourth, I hope the post-credits scene is retconned.
I hate the time jump and the kid.

Latest posts

Back