Promethea

I have the Little Margie special. Heh. :D

I finally ordered all the trades for this. I can't wait to read it all a second time.

I was trying to spread them all out so they'd last a while, but decided to stuff it and ended up reading half the series in a single morning.

Promethea is a truly amazing comic. It's a proper literary work. It's not for everyone - it deals with personal spiritual themes and these are not things that some people are willing to open up to or consider except in rare cases, and with the much maligned comic medium, even more people will believe that a comic is not equipped with the capabilities to creature such poignancy and will not consider that it can - but if someone is willing to open up to it, Promethea will reward your interest and your time with a difficult journey towards beauty.

I wouldn't say it changes a person's life or way of thinking.

I would say that it enriches a person's life and their way of thinking - if only for a short time.

And that's certainly enough.

Promethea is a truly amazing comic. It's a proper literary work. It's not for everyone - it deals with personal spiritual themes and these are not things that some people are willing to open up to or consider except in rare cases, and with the much maligned comic medium, even more people will believe that a comic is not equipped with the capabilities to creature such poignancy and will not consider that it can - but if someone is willing to open up to it, Promethea will reward your interest and your time with a difficult journey towards beauty.

I would say that it enriches a person's life and their way of thinking - if only for a short time.

And that's certainly enough.

And there are boobies. Almost naked ones.

I was rethinking the ending of Promethea recently and I realized something. People always seem to be slightly disappointed by the last issue. It just seems like a recap, and they wanted something final. They wanted a conclusive ending.

But Promethea doesn't give you a conclusive ending because you're reading a story about the beauty of existance, and that beauty never does end. Promethea tells you at the end that the story might be over, but she's always there and your dance with her is never going to stop. The story of Promethea is your story, and that story doesn't have an ending.
See, the comic book medium may have actually been the best possible medium for this type of story. It allows for the story to actually transfer a lot of memorable information to you, while doing it in an an attractive and dazzling way. It's being taught something and being shown a beautiful peice of art at the same time.
It definitely changed mine.
And there are boobies. Almost naked ones.
Promethea appears completely nude on every single page of the last issue.

I was rethinking the ending of Promethea recently and I realized something. People always seem to be slightly disappointed by the last issue. It just seems like a recap, and they wanted something final. They wanted a conclusive ending.

Most people do. Most stories have conclusive endings because they are generally more satisfying. A lot of 'artists' like to give open-endings and think they're smart, but what they don't get is that open-endings, unless done extremely well, are cheap cop-outs. Generally, a closed-ending says, "This is what this story is about" and an open-ending says, "This is what this story is about for you", because you conclude the emotional ending yourself. This is extremely hard to do well, and it more than likely ends up, "You come up with the ending", which is just crap.

Promethea does a very good ending, but it is not a popular type of ending. Not because it's wrong, but because most people don't like that kind of thing. It's like Invader Zim in a way - that show never had a chance. It was a black comedy, sci-fi cartoon, for adults. The audience for that kind of show is small, regardless of the quality of the work in the show.

But Promethea doesn't give you a conclusive ending because you're reading a story about the beauty of existance, and that beauty never does end. Promethea tells you at the end that the story might be over, but she's always there and your dance with her is never going to stop. The story of Promethea is your story, and that story doesn't have an ending.

Very nice.

See, the comic book medium may have actually been the best possible medium for this type of story. It allows for the story to actually transfer a lot of memorable information to you, while doing it in an an attractive and dazzling way. It's being taught something and being shown a beautiful peice of art at the same time.

I agree, but most people wouldn't even conceive it a possibility. I've sat down and thought about it - it's not reproducable in terms of film or radio. There is far, far too much in the comic that just can't work. The entirity of #12 for example, can't be filmed. If one were to attempt it, it would require a vast undertaking to adapt it effectively.

But this is the case for virtually everything Alan Moore has done, but the filmmakers don't get that and treat his comics like storyboards or pitch ideas.

Seriously... League of Extraordinary Gentleman is a slam dunk. How much did those guys have to suck to **** it up?!

It definitely changed mine.

But I wouldn't say that to someone who I wanted to read it. If you tell someone it'll challenge their views and/or change their life, their defences are up before they crack open the first page. The comic actually breaks down those defences in a progressive manner, continually disrupting your unconscious view of reality to make you feel the world (in the same way a horror film scares you), but if you tell people that in advance, that it seeps into your consciousness, they'll instinctively fight it. What's worse - they'll be expecting such a change, and they'll miss everything waiting for the 'big change'. The term, "It changed my life" is just too loaded and it will make the next person to read it bring too much baggage to the reading with them, so I never say it. I just tell them that's it's a sublime beauty and worth reading - but's it's very dense and lecturing and if you're not up for that, don't do it.

But goddam, it's a beautiful comic.

Promethea appears completely nude on every single page of the last issue.

Slut.

But this is the case for virtually everything Alan Moore has done, but the filmmakers don't get that and treat his comics like storyboards or pitch ideas.

Seriously... League of Extraordinary Gentleman is a slam dunk. How much did those guys have to suck to **** it up?!
I can never understand how anyone can **** up an Alan Moore idea. They are mass market franchises waiting to happen --- breakfast cereals, action figures, videogames and all --- and I for one want capitalism to prevail for him.

My friend (Vampire) Will bellowed out that he could come up with a better version of LXG in 30 seconds, keeping Tom Sawyer in it - and he did.

In thirty seconds.

And not only was it good, but I started chiming in with ideas. It was cool, even if Tom Sawyer was 12 years old and essentially Frodo.

I don't get how people can **** it up so much. Ugh.

My friend (Vampire) Will bellowed out that he could come up with a better version of LXG in 30 seconds, keeping Tom Sawyer in it - and he did.

In thirty seconds.

And not only was it good, but I started chiming in with ideas. It was cool, even if Tom Sawyer was 12 years old and essentially Frodo.

I don't get how people can **** it up so much. Ugh.
Do tell, please.

This comic was good, the first volume leaves you with wanting more.

I'm sure I didn't pick up on everything, but I got some things I hope. The fact that Promethea lives on as an idea is amazing. I always had a theory that people won't die until there ideas see the light of day. When your final idea comes out, you'll die sort of thing. I felt this parallels the story somewhat, at least in this beginning anyways.

The friend was annoying, I felt that was her purpose in this part of the story. The Weeping Gorilla part was funny.

Hell, the Weeping Gorilla is funny anyways.

But it was a good start to the story, I liked it and the Art. I wonder why the Promethea for World War one was essentially naked with the helm of Dr. Fate sitting on her head.

But boobies is boobies, so I left it alone.

I'll probably pick up vol 2 and see if it continues to peak my interest.

ABSOLUTE PROMETHEA VOL. 1 HC
Written by Alan Moore
Art by J.H. Williams III & Mick Gray
Cover by J.H. Williams III
ABC. Alan Moore's entrancing masterpiece is collected for the first time in oversized, Absolute format featuring the spectacular art of J.H. Williams III. The first of three ABSOLUTE PROMETHEA slipcased collections, this volume collects PROMETHEA #1-12! Discover the stories that introduced Sophie Bangs, an ordinary college student in a weirdly futuristic New York, whose life will be changed by her research into the mythical warrior woman known as Promethea!
Advance-solicited; on sale September 30 • 8.25" x 12.5", 328 pg, FC, $99 US

Absolute Promethea. Holy ****.

Absolute Promethea. Holy ****.

I will definitely get this. After reading Moonie rave about it I picked up the first volume and really liked it. I meant to get others but didn't. I'm there.

Latest posts

Back