Punisher (2009) series discussion (was Punisher War Journal) [spoilers]

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
While it was a good start it was no where near the gold that is the MAX series.

But this is the best Punisher I read outside of that.

Re: Punisher War Journal series discussion *Spoilers*

I enojyed it. Maybe it was the extra pages but it seemed PACKED with story.

I like how it's firmly in the Marvel Universe.

Weird what happened to the Tinkerer though. I thought they were building him up to be something huge, what with his part in Secret War and everything.

This was ok. It could be good, but Fraction's "hard boiled" dialogue just didnt work sometimes, which took me out of the story. The art was iffy as well. Decent start, but it better be building to something. Something violent.

3/5

You're right, the dialogue was off in some parts. I think it particularly strange that Frank would know the name of the actor who played the Professor on Gilligan's Island.

But I really enjoyed the art.

I feel like they crammed a lot of it just to get to that sewer scene with Spidey. I liked it but it dragged a bit. I imagine it will pick up though. First Jester and now Wilbur Day? :evil:

3/5

Anytime a character gets killed, no matter how obscure or underused I wince a little.

I like my comic universes populated with as many characters as possible, no matter how goofy.

I don't know much about Jester, but Stilt-Man has pedigree, man!

This was fun. It's great to see Frank interacting with the Marvel Universe.

I do kind of agree with his new Microchip though. Tony Stark seems to be manipulating all of this for his own gain. I wouldn't be surprised if he started all of this just go become Director of SHIELD.

They seem to be very heavily insinuating that Tony will end up the new director of SHIELD, almost to the point that I can't see them actually doing it.

On the other hand, I would like to see it. I can't imagine a situation where they would bring Fury back, and Hill is just a cipher, really, who came out of nowhere in the first place and has done nothing to distinguish herself as a character except to piss off Captain America.

The fact that this takes place in the regualr Marvel universe and that he killed Stilt Man makes this book worth it.

I still prefer MAX.

I loved the little Iron Men swamping over him.

"Please not like this"

That scene was cool, and a good example of why I like the art. It was just "timed" so well. Through the whole book it just seemed like everything looked exactly as Fraction wanted it to. There are writer/artists who don't have that much synergy.

I refuse to read a Punisher book that's non-MAX, non-Ennis, and all tied into Civil War.

Doing that would be like pissing on Jesus's head three times in a row.

I don't like my comics characters marginialised to just Adults-only books with no hope of crossovers (yes, even Sandman). I think it's the perfect solution to have both titles if the character can support it.

And hey, at least he's not some avenging angel killing demons in this one.

Last edited:

The moment with Spidey tripping out, and him offering to pay Frank was awesome...

Punisher: You don't have to pay me jackass...
Spidey: Oh, awesome.... Action is my reward too.....

Also Frank nailing the mugger with the brick was classic... and the very cool and sinister line of "I'm bored, shooting pedophiles in the face should entertain me.."

While I think this is the book of Fractions I've enjoyed the least (not a slight mind you, I've gone fanboy native on this guy) I still dug it. More later, gotta go.

Punisher: You don't have to pay me jackass...
Spidey: Oh, awesome.... Action is my reward too.....

That was great too.

This book is like the "Kid Stuff" episode of JLU. To break up the non-stop gritiness of Frank's MAX book.....you get this toned down book with great characterization and little spots of humor.

I feel like they crammed a lot of it just to get to that sewer scene with Spidey. I liked it but it dragged a bit. I imagine it will pick up though. First Jester and now Wilbur Day? :evil:

3/5

He killed Wilbur Day? I thought Day retired and Punisher killed his replacement. Punisher seems like the new Scourge, he has the task of killing off unpopular D-list villains.

He killed Wilbur Day? I thought Day retired and Punisher killed his replacement. Punisher seems like the new Scourge, he has the task of killing off unpopular D-list villains.

Well here's the thing. After this Civil War broke out Day saw it as an oppurtunity to redeem himself. He called The Tinkerer to make new armor for him and wanted to become a vigilante. Punisher didn't want to give him the chance to reform and blasted him.

Well here's the thing. After this Civil War broke out Day saw it as an oppurtunity to redeem himself. He called The Tinkerer to make new armor for him and wanted to become a vigilante. Punisher didn't want to give him the chance to reform and blasted him.

Yikes, Frank plays rough. I'm not surprised though, Frank has to kill some criminals while he is minastream MU and they aren't going to le himt kill off A list criminals like Green Goblin and Bullseye so he is going to off D-list goobers like Stilt-Man. Punisher is the new Scourge. I guess the new guy in the Stilt-Man armour is still running around then, eh?

this was a good little start. i've been looking for a toned down version to get some kids started on the punisher and them move them up to the MAX level.

Latest posts

Back