Runaways Vol. 2 #25-30 (Joss Whedon/Michael Ryan) (Spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

I liked the last issue better.

Nothing really worked for me this issue. It was ok but I expect more from Runaways and more from Whedon. It was a let down.

Any other book, any other writer and it would be a great book. But Whedon writing Runaways?

I expect liquid awesomeness to drip forth from each page and pool on my lap transforming me into the greatest single living creature in the universe (and Alternate Universe 2794619 aka Cowboy Universe).

This was just meh. Punisher felt misused. Kingpin was great. The winged muscle-freak is such a 90s idea and he has no personality and I cringe when I see him. Victor has gone to waste under Whedon's pen. Ninjas are over rated.

Molly punching Punisher was awesome but I'm really not used to Punisher trying to kill kids, especially Molly! Chase? Maybe he'd kill him, but not a little ****ing girl with a cute/weird pink hat!

Really missing Vaughan, but our options could be a LOT worse.

And I don't want to see C.B. writing Runaways.

I don't remember whether I posted it here or not, but I have a theory that Molly is like a child star. She defines herself as "the cute one" and thus pretends to be dumber and more immature than she really is. It's so adorable, she's taken in the Runaways and most of the readers, and eventually she's going to grow up, not be cute anymore and be forced into a massive identity crisis. I think the "Why are you not all being awesomed by me?" scene might have been foreshadowing for that.

I don't remember whether I posted it here or not, but I have a theory that Molly is like a child star. She defines herself as "the cute one" and thus pretends to be dumber and more immature than she really is. It's so adorable, she's taken in the Runaways and most of the readers, and eventually she's going to grow up, not be cute anymore and be forced into a massive identity crisis. I think the "Why are you not all being awesomed by me?" scene might have been foreshadowing for that.

I would rather she be completely and totally oblivious but as far as future events. I think that she should be one of the premiere and most "awesome" mutants around. But I like how she is now and would rather keep it in the here and now as is, ya know?

I would rather she be completely and totally oblivious but as far as future events. I think that she should be one of the premiere and most "awesome" mutants around. But I like how she is now and would rather keep it in the here and now as is, ya know?

No, I mean in the "awesomed" scene the others were busy talking and she was interrupting them, and it's foreshadowing for it just not being cute anymore.

Man, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Molly is going to be a train wreck when she starts hitting puberty. Raised on the run by a bunch of teenagers with issues who tend to die a lot, mutant, evil parents whose death she was largely responsible for, can beat the crap out of almost anyone, identifies herself mostly by a quality (cuteness) with a time limit on it, doesn't know anyone her own age... I am more and more convinced that sometime, maybe sooner, maybe later, Molly's situation is going to get very, very nasty.

She'll just end up as another of Wolverine's young girl friends.

Kitty Pryde, Julie and Katie Power, Jubilee, now Molly.

No, I mean in the "awesomed" scene the others were busy talking and she was interrupting them, and it's foreshadowing for it just not being cute anymore.

Man, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Molly is going to be a train wreck when she starts hitting puberty. Raised on the run by a bunch of teenagers with issues who tend to die a lot, mutant, evil parents whose death she was largely responsible for, can beat the crap out of almost anyone, identifies herself mostly by a quality (cuteness) with a time limit on it, doesn't know anyone her own age... I am more and more convinced that sometime, maybe sooner, maybe later, Molly's situation is going to get very, very nasty.

Totally agreeing. Which is good because I'm starting to get tired of the "cutesy" Molly.

Wolverine is such a pimp.

...where's the purple clothes? You can't have a non-purple pimp. Especially without the hat.

In all seriousness, though, I can see her having some sort of realationship with Wolverine. Or maybe another of the X-Men.

(I'm reserving judgement on Whedon until the arc is over, as per my personal rule.)

I'm completely uninterested in this arc.

I misses teh Vaughn.

Is it just me...or has the Runaways lost it's heart?

I guess I'm interested in who's the new member and Whedon writes nice little jokes, but I just can't get into it anymore. It was one of the best comics being released and now...I don't know.

Maybe I'm a baby and used to Vaughan writing this too much and it'll just never happen again.

Also, it's like Whedon hasn't read the last couple of Vaughan issues since he seemingly dropped Victor and Nico's relationship and seemed to be pushing for Nico and Karolina...which Vaughan hinted at and resolved WAY BACK WHEN.

Help a guy with a terrible net connection and a bad case of the lazy's.

When the hell is the next issue out?

Yeah....I have no interest in this anymore.

Normally I'd be all hyped for a Runaways preview. But I just sat thru this and thought about how bored I was reading all that. The only good part I saw was when Chase saw the hologram of Gert.

Yeah....I have no interest in this anymore.

Normally I'd be all hyped for a Runaways preview. But I just sat thru this and thought about how bored I was reading all that. The only good part I saw was when Chase saw the hologram of Gert.

I love Runaways, but I can't get into Whedon's run. Not only because of this:
Also, it's like Whedon hasn't read the last couple of Vaughan issues since he seemingly dropped Victor and Nico's relationship and seemed to be pushing for Nico and Karolina...which Vaughan hinted at and resolved WAY BACK WHEN.

But for the fact that we're getting another arc where one character leaves and another joins. We've had more member-shifting arcs than simple adventure arcs in the series, and I was really hoping Whedon would offer us something without huge consequences to the roster.

sigh.

Anyone read the latest issue?

I don't have it in front of me but the Runaways have traveled back in time to the year 1907. They try to fit in. The preview covered this.

A factory blows and Nico commands them all to help the kids in the factory to escape (sweatshop), Karolina notices one girl can control/grow plants and has escaped on her own.

To parallel their adventures in 2007 they meet with a kid-like Kingpin character who calls those with powers "wonders." Seems he's getting ready for some kind of "wonders war" or some such nonsense.

The team meets a red-headed girl whom my sister hated on sight (when asked why she said she looked like a whore and will only serve to break up Nico and Victor), oddly enough my sister's intuition was close to the mark as Victor seems to take an interest in this girl (her name escapes me). Nico notices this and brings it up with Victor later that night, he slips up and Nico is hurt.

The kid-Kingpin-Whatever meets with a man named "Maneater" who has some drugged out girl in the background whom I assume is Typhoid Mary who was brought up earlier in the issue (not Daredevil's Mary) but she never moves, speaks, or is spoken to so it could be her or it could be just some junkie.

At one point there's a page of a Punisher type person at the burnt down factory who has thoughts much akin to the Punisher's and sets out to do something in somewhat vague manner. I don't recall his name either.

Karolina is mistaken for a whore, she shoots the guy and flies away. She finds the plant-girl again and sees her abusive father. She watches with a hint in her eyes saying Karolina's going to save this girl.

Maneater threatens the kid-Kingpin-Dude...blah blah blah.

They leave on the cliffhanger that Maneater is working for the evil time-traveling Yorkes.

Meh.

Just meh.

A chapter that largely dealt with people we'd never heard of and never will again in a few issues. The team is actually side-lined by a large introduction of new characters(I mentioned only the bigger named people there are teams of "wonders" introduced).

I think I see what Whedon's hinting at, but I'll know more next issue and I'll voice my opinion then.

I also think Whedon's trying to tease us with "which of these three will come to the future and be a new runaway!" with the red-head with the hots for Victor, the plant-girl from a broken home, and the used and abused Thyroid Mary...but none of these characters seem that well rounded due to limited screen time they have to share because of the massive new characters.

Since they all seem weak and uninteresting I can only hope it's not the red-head since I'm sick of love triangles and Nico deserves a bit of happiness with Victor for as long as it'll last her.

I must also question the reasoning for involving the Yorkes as villains here. If they know that there's a possibility of their children killing them and going off on their own...wouldn't that affect the time-stream or some-what-not?

Meeting them in 1907 causes all sorts of problems, unless they never meet.

The paralleling between 1907 and 2007 seems...off. There's the Kingpin knock off, there's the Punisher knock off, there's the winged muscle-freak alive young and with metal wings 100 years in the past!

When I heard Joss Whedon was taking over Runaways I thought we'd keep some good stories but this whole arc needs scrapping and fast. It's just not good.

Each issue of Runaways used to be fun and wild and fresh. This is the mid-point in this story and this run and I can't wait for it to be over! The first Joss issue was fun and frantic...then it's gotten meh.

There's no stand out lines, Molly acts more mature but I'm not sure it's supposed to mean anything since she goes back to full Molly soon after claiming a side of the room as her own while other characters ignore her. So her mature lines might be just Whedon looking for someone else to talk.

OR it's that Molly's growing up and that saddens me if that's the case since outside of her cute innocent immature self...there's really nothing else there is there? She says her cute lines, talks some sense into the others, and continues being the cute optimistic Molly. Why change that?

Why change that now, anyway?

Michael Ryan's art is good. It feels off at one point but it's nothing bad.

The dialogue's good when it's not spoken by some characterless creature serving the plot. We see the metal-winged-muscle-freak 100 years younger and the Runaways are a bit taken back by his appearance but then decide to split up and not be on guard that something's up.

I don't know.

3/5 but that might be because I'm too optimistic and I feel that this HAS to be setting something else up. Something I don't see yet. But if this is going where I think it's going, then this book would have been better served if C.B. had taken over after Vaughan.

The team meets a red-headed girl whom my sister hated on sight (when asked why she said she looked like a whore and will only serve to break up Nico and Victor), oddly enough my sister's intuition was close to the mark as Victor seems to take an interest in this girl (her name escapes me). Nico notices this and brings it up with Victor later that night, he slips up and Nico is hurt.

If only Whedon had mentioned their relationship prior to this-even in passing.

I want this arc to end. Fast. I've never been so disinterested in what's going on, or so worried about what's going to happen. If Whedon breaks up the team by leaving one of the original Runaways behind (as I'm sure Nico will be), I'll throw a fit.

And what's with all the weed references? It's not funny, and it's going to kill a lot of Runaways' exposure in schools. Whedon was supposed to bring readers onto the book, not alienate a large potential fanbase.

Nice going, Whedon.

Latest posts

Back