Runaways Vol. 2 #25-30 (Joss Whedon/Michael Ryan) (Spoilers)

Re: Runaways series discussion (spoilers)

I did too until it arrived in the mail yesterday. I also forgot the plot and had to dig out the other issues...which I sorta thumbed through because it was dull and overloaded with lifeless nameless characters who come and go as if we're supposed to care.

And they all speak...well here's a bit from page 12 of the latest issue:

Creeper (Tom Thumb sized little dude with no power other than talk in small fonts): Honest, Megan, I think the Swell's bein' overly rubbed about these pups.

Megan: Nah. He's got it right, Creeper; they're trouble. Buncha mission stiffs actin' stuck-up as avenoodles. And this is a time for knowing your place.

Creeper: This form the girl that put six bulls in the hospital for callin' her a tom.

Megan: There's gonna be a big noise 'tween the Sinners and the Upward Path. Those bums are gonna put us right in the middle of it.

Creeper: Then we'll slip right through, same as we always.

This doesn't stop. Everyone talks like that. It gets more than annoying and it makes reading a pain.

Plus, in this issue Whedon makes Xavin a girl. No more back and forth-ness. Nope. Xavin's a girl and she just didn't know it.

Otherwise, the art's nice.

Okay, no one remembers me, but I don't care.

I LOVE Runaways. So much that the moment I finished my downloaded #29, I subscribed.

Everyone has said it before why Runaways is great, so I won't repeat them. Just that I don't understand why everyone hates what Whedon is doing. So what if the side characters will be those we'll never care about or see again? That's the same way with the New Pride, but hell, that was a hell of an arc anyways!

I can't wait for the last two issues. Bring it on!:rockon:

Considering that the adult heroes will handle the Secret Invasion with the same restraint, diplomacy and care that they treated Civil War, if I were the Runaways I would have Xavin practice that invisibility power some more and tell everyone she died or, better yet, got lost in the past. That way, when it all blows over, they can just go "Hey, everyone, look who showed up again! Somehow!"

Seeing that they have a SI tie-in i worry for xavin.

Hell, maybe he/she even knew about it.

Okay, no one remembers me, but I don't care.

I LOVE Runaways. So much that the moment I finished my downloaded #29, I subscribed.

Everyone has said it before why Runaways is great, so I won't repeat them. Just that I don't understand why everyone hates what Whedon is doing. So what if the side characters will be those we'll never care about or see again? That's the same way with the New Pride, but hell, that was a hell of an arc anyways!

I can't wait for the last two issues. Bring it on!:rockon:
Two?! TWO!?!

I thought Whedon only had one more left... :cry:

...Wait...

I think your right.

:oops:

I still can't believe how incredibly boring Whedon's run is on this. It's plain mindnumbing.

Well, I can rest assured knowing that I am thoroughly enjoying this arc. :)

Well, I can rest assured knowing that I am thoroughly enjoying this arc. :)

Describe to me, as if I were a child, what you enjoy about this arc. Please?

Me?

I liked the first issue. I liked the death of Creeper and Megan. I liked Molly punching Punisher. That's it.

Me?

I liked the first issue. I liked the death of Creeper and Megan. I liked Molly punching Punisher. That's it.

Chase falling off a skyscraper and getting caught by Old Lace (and Molly using that as a rationalization of maybe how they could have gotten away) was pretty awesome too.

Me?

Well, to me, I really enjoy the aspect of the Old versus the New. The most obvious thing is the Old Minoru "torturing" Nico, for whatever reason. We also have the impact of Koralina's and Xavier's homosexual relationship.

The death scene, the you know, the one with that tiny man and his friend. I thought that was wonderfully done.

The implication of two possible new members of the party is nice...even if it will unbalance the boy/girl ratio even more.

So, I've got just one question...

Why is it going to take 4 months for the next issue of Runaways to hit newsstands? The last one came out in February. I know it doesn't take a little less than half a year for them to write, pencil, and ink 20 or so pages.

So, what the heck is going on?

So, I've got just one question...

Why is it going to take 4 months for the next issue of Runaways to hit newsstands? The last one came out in February. I know it doesn't take a little less than half a year for them to write, pencil, and ink 20 or so pages.

So, what the heck is going on?

They have to plan for marketing the new creative team.

Whedon's a celebrity writer. They suck at deadlines in comics.

I heard from the woman who colors the book that Whedon turned his stuff in on time, and she either implied or said outright (I forget) that the reason for the delays were that not only did Ryan have to figure out his own versions of the Runaways, but he had to design over a dozen new characters. I admit they look fantastic, but figuring out how each and every one of them looks and how they should be colored, then drawing a comic with entirely unfamiliar characters and not having a reference for most of them? It's not worth the ridiculous delays.

I heard from the woman who colors the book that Whedon turned his stuff in on time, and she either implied or said outright (I forget) that the reason for the delays were that not only did Ryan have to figure out his own versions of the Runaways, but he had to design over a dozen new characters. I admit they look fantastic, but figuring out how each and every one of them looks and how they should be colored, then drawing a comic with entirely unfamiliar characters and not having a reference for most of them? It's not worth the ridiculous delays.

I can't help but feel a little sorry for Ryan. It was Marvel who put him (a relatively inexperienced artist) on such a work intensive book.
Bad planning...

So, I decided to check out the Runways catalog page on Marvel, to see when in May the next issue was supposed to come out.

And it got changed to June. Almost a whole month after the May date (I know it was in the 20's).

Darn you Marvel!:arrgh:

Wait. Is the 4th Hardcover out now? How could I have missed that??

1000th post! Does this mean we have to start a new thread?

Latest posts

Back