Seven Soldiers of Victory series discussion (spoilers)

A SOLDIER MUST DIE! Will it be...

• Total voters
Re: Seven Soldiers of Victory discussion

This is the comic issue of the year.

I wanna like this sooooo bad. But I read the first volume and wasn't really impressed.

Then I read Frankenstein and Bulleteer and was impressed even less.

It's not bad----I know its great......but I just can't get into it. I don't know what's wrong with me? :?

I wanna like this sooooo bad. But I read the first volume and wasn't really impressed.

It's not bad----I know its great......but I just can't get into it. I don't know what's wrong with me? :?

Did you read the annotations I posted links to?

It's okay, you just suck at life

I know, it couldn't have happened to a better person

You should probably go kill yourself now

Just realized there were to threads going on to discuss this. Merged.

I hope the other one wasn't a no spoilers thread...it wasn't marked so.

I've been rereading Seven Soldiers to catch up for the finale this week.

I'm thinking it's going to be Bulleteer who dies.

Am I correct in understanding that Alix is a decendant of Aurakles? Vigilante told her that she was a direct decendant of Earth's first super hero. Isn't that what Aurakles is? They even kind of look alike.

Also considering he names her as the spear that was never thrown (which is supposed to be able to be thrown through time and space)...I wonder if there's more to her than meets the eye, also keeping in mind how reluctant she is in all this. Something is definitely going on with her.

All of the soldiers seem very noble...I wonder if the traitor will do so unknowingly or unwillingly.

Rrrrrgh I can't wait for this to come out.

Just rereading this thread as i wait impatiently for SSoV#1 to get some different perspectives on everything, and I noticed this post by Doc in response to a question I had asked (what' sthis all about?)...

The first group of Seven Soldiers that were destroyed were the original Knights of Camelot... Several new Seven Soldiers groups were compelled to form during the past century, with the impending invasion nearing. The Sheeda had learned to target these groups of Seven Soldiers, taking them out before they could ever become a threat.

Just pointing out the brilliance of this all...what happened is that Gloriana's mirror has told her that a team of seven soldiers will defeat the Sheeda. So the plan is to target any teams of seven. But it has never happened. I think it's the last issue of Frankenstein when she says something to the effect of well, no teams of seven, I guess we're safe.

All of the series to go great lengths to stress the importance of 7, and to a lesser extent, 6. 6 Is extremely unlucky. Any potential team of 7 to go up against the Sheeda have been cut down to 6...Camelot's team was cut to 6 when Ystin fell through time in the Castle Revolving, and they were destroyed. The original Newsboy Army was cut to 6 when Millions didn't accompany them on their final mission, and they were defeated. And Vigilante's team was SUPPOSED to be 7, but ended up being six because as we found out later, Bulletteer backed out at the last minute. They were all killed (except Vigilante).

So the Sheeda have never actually faced a team of 7 soldiers.

If Seven Soldiers takes place around Infinite Crisis and the missing year, then Bulleteer probably won't die. She's currently appearing in 52, and cameoed in Birds of Prey.

The only characters that haven't been shown One Year Later are Frankenstein and Mister Miracle. I think it might be one of those two who die. Of course, someone or many someones betray the team aswell...

EDIT: I also can't remember if Shining Knight or Guardian have shown up either...

Last edited:
If Seven Soldiers takes place around Infinite Crisis and the missing year, then Bulleteer probably won't die. She's currently appearing in 52, and cameoed in Birds of Prey.

The only characters that haven't been shown One Year Later are Frankenstein and Mister Miracle. I think it might be one of those two who die. Of course, someone or many someones betray the team aswell...

EDIT: I also can't remember if Shining Knight or Guardian have shown up either...

Manhattan Guardian showed up in Villains United, and unless he took a break from his adventures in Seven Soldiers to crack some skulls, I'd guess that takes place after Seven Soldiers #1.

Check this out -

If you've been reading this you know that the Sheeda warriors speak in a weird language that looks like a bunch of symbols. Actually it's Ogham which is an old Celtic alphabet that historians believe originated as a series of hand symbols. Very cool.

Even cooler - using this guide to the Ogham alphabet, you can translate what the Sheeda are saying.

In Shinging Knight #4 (I'm not sure which page because I have the TPB - it's page 119 of Vol. 2) one of the warriors is fighting Vanguard and the translation says:

"aluuaes after me lucee charms"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A couple pages back they say,

"in hefen thar iz no beer"
and
"uuich ist uui uuedrisc it heer"

Which I don't really get, (I can't even make sense of the second one) but I guess they're about as sensical as "Always after me Lucky Charms."

I'm trying to find more instances of Sheeda-speak to translate. I remember Mo Colley says something in Guardian #4 but I'll have to dig that up later.

EDIT - found it. He says, "mmm...death."

Check this out -

If you've been reading this you know that the Sheeda warriors speak in a weird language that looks like a bunch of symbols. Actually it's Ogham which is an old Celtic alphabet that historians believe originated as a series of hand symbols. Very cool.

Even cooler - using this guide to the Ogham alphabet, you can translate what the Sheeda are saying.

In Shinging Knight #4 (I'm not sure which page because I have the TPB - it's page 119 of Vol. 2) one of the warriors is fighting Vanguard and the translation says:

"aluuaes after me lucee charms"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A couple pages back they say,

"in hefen thar iz no beer"
and
"uuich ist uui uuedrisc it heer"

Which I don't really get, (I can't even make sense of the second one) but I guess they're about as sensical as "Always after me Lucky Charms."

I'm trying to find more instances of Sheeda-speak to translate. I remember Mo Colley says something in Guardian #4 but I'll have to dig that up later.

EDIT - found it. He says, "mmm...death."

"In heaven there is no beer, which is why we drink it here." I know I've heard it before. I believe it's a paraphrase of an old Irish drinking song.

I collect this in TPB only but I just had to pick up the finale today.

WOW.

Un-freakin-believable.

SPOILERS FOLLOW - DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

Actually, I hope no one reads this post until they read the comic. Don't spoil it for yourself!

Totally didn't see Klarion as the betrayer coming. So are we to believe he is now the king of the Sheeda? Poor Frankenstein, being branded by Klarion and made to return Castle Revolving to Sheeda-Side. I wonder what happens to him.

And yes, it was Miracle Man who died, shot in the head by Dark Side after bargaining Aurackles' life. They bury him, and the last page of the comic is him busting out of his grave (!).

Couple things I didn't fully understand - like what happened to Zatanna? Carla almost hits her with the car...did she disappear?

And as asked before, what happened to Frankenstein?

And most importantly, my dumb brain can't grasp who the narrator is talking to and who he stitched the coat for. "Has anybody ever told you how much you look like (Cyrus Gold)? Heh...without the fancy beard and mustache you're a dead ringer for the creepy old bastard. We could all of us be brothers." I'm totally lost here. I note he has a "DC" pin on his tie...

JHW3's ability to mock styles is INCREDIBLE...I was particularly impressed with his Kirby-esque New Gods pages. Wow.

If they do a spin-off of Klarion and/or Ystin, I'm totally there. Awesomeness.

100000000/5. Maybe the best comic book issue ever made.

I collect this in TPB only but I just had to pick up the finale today.

WOW.

Un-freakin-believable.

SPOILERS FOLLOW - DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

Actually, I hope no one reads this post until they read the comic. Don't spoil it for yourself!

Totally didn't see Klarion as the betrayer coming. So are we to believe he is now the king of the Sheeda? Poor Frankenstein, being branded by Klarion and made to return Castle Revolving to Sheeda-Side. I wonder what happens to him.

And yes, it was Miracle Man who died, shot in the head by Dark Side after bargaining Aurackles' life. They bury him, and the last page of the comic is him busting out of his grave (!).

Couple things I didn't fully understand - like what happened to Zatanna? Carla almost hits her with the car...did she disappear?

And as asked before, what happened to Frankenstein?

And most importantly, my dumb brain can't grasp who the narrator is talking to and who he stitched the coat for. "Has anybody ever told you how much you look like (Cyrus Gold)? Heh...without the fancy beard and mustache you're a dead ringer for the creepy old bastard. We could all of us be brothers." I'm totally lost here. I note he has a "DC" pin on his tie...

JHW3's ability to mock styles is INCREDIBLE...I was particularly impressed with his Kirby-esque New Gods pages. Wow.

If they do a spin-off of Klarion and/or Ystin, I'm totally there. Awesomeness.

100000000/5. Maybe the best comic book issue ever made.

I hate you.

You make me wanna read this.......but my brain won't allow me to get into it. I'm seriously gonna have to sit down and force myself to read these-----enjoyment or not.

I hate you.

You make me wanna read this.......but my brain won't allow me to get into it. I'm seriously gonna have to sit down and force myself to read these-----enjoyment or not.

How about if I personally guarantee that you will not be disappointed. Especially if you read that handy-dandy annotations guide I linked to.

I said this in another thread - this is the greatest comic story of all time. Better than Watchmen, better than V for Vendetta, better than Earth X.

How about if I personally guarantee that you will not be disappointed. Especially if you read that handy-dandy annotations guide I linked to.

And if I don't? 8) I get the site. :lol:

I said this in another thread - this is the greatest comic story of all time. Better than Watchmen, better than V for Vendetta, better than Earth X.

Earth X I can understand....it's not for everyone. But better than V or Watchmen? Surely you jest?

I've seriously tried to get into this....but so far it's just been whatever for me. The only interest I've had has been Frankenstein, Bulleteer and Zatanna. The rest have all been meh.

I'm gonna force myself to read this before Thanksgiving (if I can track down all the volumes).

*sigh* My comic shop didn't have this OR the new Fables hardcover.....

But I want them so bad, I may actually stop by another comic shop to dig them up.

And if I don't? 8) I get the site. :lol:

I was going to say you could have TOG. And Houde's third arm. It probably needs a good scrubbing down though.

Earth X I can understand....it's not for everyone. But better than V or Watchmen? Surely you jest?

I do not. And don't call me Shirley.

I've seriously tried to get into this....but so far it's just been whatever for me. The only interest I've had has been Frankenstein, Bulleteer and Zatanna. The rest have all been meh.

I'm gonna force myself to read this before Thanksgiving (if I can track down all the volumes).

Here's where I think the series loses some people. This is not a Brian Michael Bendis comic that you read once through and that's that. if you go into it thinking you are only interested in certain characters, you probably won't allow yourself the opportunity to enjoy the whole series.

Take Shining Knight. Ask me before I read this if I'd have any interest in reading a comic about an Arthurian knight in ANY setting and I'd have said ugh, no thanks. But I read it, and when reading the other stories along with it the sheer awesomeness was fully shown to me. In fact, it's probably my favorite of the 7 books. :D

If you are just looking for something to breeze through and don't want to do the work - and there's nothing wrong with that - maybe you won't enjoy it. There are countless subtle nuances, plot points, inferences, allegories, and details that totally make this series. I'll totally admit that it takes work and a few read-throughs to get everything. Geez, I'm sure I've still missed tons of stuff.

If you re-read this thread you'll see where when I first started I thought this was pretty good but there was a LOT of stuff I didn't get, and was frustrated by it, not being familiar enough with Grant Morrison's style to appreciate that patience pays off.

Totally worth it if you're willing to REALLY get into it.

But that's the other cool thing about this - if you really don't have interest in Shining Knight or Klarion or whatever, you CAN read just the minis for the characters you DO like and still get a darn good story. But if reading things like USM #101 have you questioning whether you even like comics anymore like it does to me, this will restore your faith. I promise.

*sigh* My comic shop didn't have this OR the new Fables hardcover.....

But I want them so bad, I may actually stop by another comic shop to dig them up.

DC had a press release that stores serviced by the Memphis distribution will get the issue next week due to some kind of error. That really blows and I feel bad for anyone who has to wait even longer - it's been long enough.

Latest posts

Back