Seven Soldiers of Victory series discussion (spoilers)

A SOLDIER MUST DIE! Will it be...

• Total voters
I'm getting volume 1 in mail next week (if it arrives on time) i'm just going to see how it goes, cause i know nothing about the characters.... except maybe Zatanna, and all i know is that she speaks backwards to cast spells

Over the last few days I've been re-reading through the 1st 2 TPBs to make sure I'm caught up for when Vol. 3 comes in the mail.

I picked up on so much that I missed the first time I read though - I missed so much of the interconnected stories, characters, and history. Especially with the original Guardian team - wow.

Couple of things I'm not understanding, which may just be me reading through too fast.

How does Larry/El Mar figure into the story? I know he worked with Baby Brain to get Jake to take the Guardian position, but as far as I can tell he wasn't in the original Newsboy Army. I thought it might have been the kid in the football helmet, but he's there in one of the flashback scenes where Ali bursts into the newsroom and tells the team that El Mar called on his mom's phone.

Also - when/how did I Spyder come into service of the Sheeda? Did I miss a page maybe? Last we see him he's getting it on with the whip after he was stung being brought to the Seven Unknown Men, and I thought he had been killed when those 6 soldiers fought in the Miracle Mesa.

Grant Morrison is very obscure when he writes and I really have a hard time following, but once it starts making sense he's blindingly brilliant. New X-Men was the same way, but I actually think this is even better.

I've been spending the last almost 2 hours here: http://www.barbelith.com/faq/index.php/Seven_Soldiers

Good gravy. Seven Soldiers is genius in comic form. I can't believe how deeply interwoven this is.

I got the Misty = Snow White thing, but I totally didn't make the connection with her getting saved by the 7 soldiers/dwarves. Wow.

Another thing I've been thinking - there seems to be some major importance put on the teams of 6 (which all seem to always be a sort of fractured team of 7) and their failure against the Sheeda.

Man, this series is so good.

Yes, yes it is. Probably the best thing Morrison has worked on.

:shock: :shock:

Holy ****.

Deep.

I really like the 7 dwarf comparison and the characters taken out of there usual setting and thrown into others.

When I get all 4 volumes, I'm going to go over them all with this guide.

Last edited:
According to DC Comics.com volume 4 comes out july 26th, but according to Amazon, it not coming out til December :cry: i don't know which one is right?
Cause i really want it to be july 26th, cause i might hold off reading my current volumes and read them all in 1 go

Well, the final issue, Seven Soldiers #1, isn't being released until around September, so I'd say Amazon is correct.

Shihad said:
Oh really....... i don't want to wait that long........ guess i'll read them now

I read it all at once, though I'm pretty sure it's still fine on it's own.

Everything is out except the grand finale issue (the 30th of 30 parts) that ties all of the stories together, so it should read fine.

Now that I've read the whole thing (except SSoV #1 of course) I feel like I can rate them.

Here's my favorites, in order:

1. Zatanna
2. Guardian
3. Bulleteer
4. Frankenstein
5. Shining Knight
6. Klarion
7. Mister Miracle

The only one I didn't love was Mister Miracle, and only because the New Gods stuff doesn't mean a lot to me, so a lot of the importance of that was lost on me.

Zatanna, Guardian, & Bulleteer were my favorites because I felt like they interconnected with the others more and better.

As for who I think will die...I think a case could be made for any of them. I would be surprised if it was Zatanna because she is so well-loved. Mr. Miracle seems to be the most popular choice but I'm not sure why. Something makes me want to chose Frankenstein - there's been so much emphasis put on him not being alive that I think there's somethng to it. Plus they could always bring him back. :D

Plus, the art in Zatanna was awesome. Ryan Sook's art is gorgeous.

Without any other knowledge of what's excatly going on, I read Seven Soldiers volume three yesterday at Borders to kill some time.

I was impressed.

The Zatanna story, though the last ending, seemed, to me anyways, a big reason why this is happening now. The whole man of my dreams thing seems like a big deal to me.

The Klarion take was a fun read.

Mister Miracle was awesome though. The whole other world take, and his great trick trying to escape from this alternate world was an amusing concept. I picked up on the furies quickly, but from the way it was written, I'm assuming that was the purpose. The forked tongues from seemingly normal people. Loved that series.

The Bulleteer, to me, was kinda pointless. But it only had the first two issues, and then Sheeda was only mentioned in the final page or two of the second issue. I see why Bass is obessed with her though, HOT!

Frankstien I'm confused on. Why did he show up and why he killed that child and burned the school? Maybe these were brought up in later issues.

I'm thinking I should buy all these volumes.

You should, I think you'd enjoy them.

Frankenstein is badass. Each issue is like a one-shot with him doing badass stuff.

Ultimate Houde said:
Without any other knowledge of what's excatly going on, I read Seven Soldiers volume three yesterday at Borders to kill some time.

I was impressed.

The Zatanna story, though the last ending, seemed, to me anyways, a big reason why this is happening now. The whole man of my dreams thing seems like a big deal to me.

The Klarion take was a fun read.

Mister Miracle was awesome though. The whole other world take, and his great trick trying to escape from this alternate world was an amusing concept. I picked up on the furies quickly, but from the way it was written, I'm assuming that was the purpose. The forked tongues from seemingly normal people. Loved that series.

The Bulleteer, to me, was kinda pointless. But it only had the first two issues, and then Sheeda was only mentioned in the final page or two of the second issue. I see why Bass is obessed with her though, HOT!

Frankstien I'm confused on. Why did he show up and why he killed that child and burned the school? Maybe these were brought up in later issues.

I'm thinking I should buy all these volumes.

You really should read the first two TPBs and the issues that came after Vol. 3.

Zatanna's "man of my dreams" was a big deal as it was a huge part of her failure and redemption.

Frankenstein's return was all because of the Sheeda. He "died" fighting Mr. Melmoth and "returned" when the Sheeda did (Uglyhead was being controlled by a Sheeda and the entire school was swarming with them and getting redy to take over the other students). Wait till you see what he does in Frankenstein #2, although I would recommend reading all of Klarion first.

Bulletteer absolutely wasn't pointless - you'll see why when you read Seven Soldiers #0 (and the rest of Bulletteer). I loved Bulletteer, although not because I'm lonely like Bass. :D

Started reading 1st trade..... and i'm reading little bits by bits, loved the 1st story, the 1 set in the wild west, it thought that was quite cool.
i just finished guardian where hes being dragged by train.

This is like my treat.... i can't believe i'm liking this, and i want to read more, but i don't want to rush it, and miss things.
Also i have to wait til vol 4 comes out 2

E said:
You really should read the first two TPBs

I bought volume two, and reread volume three

I love Zatanna, but that's cause I have always loved Zatanna. I like who she lost faith in herself, causing her to lose her powers.

The Manhattan Guardian was odd, but enjoyable.

Justin as a girl I knew, because of reading threads like these, but it was still good.

Latest posts

Back