Siege (Bendis/Coipel)

No, Zombipanda, that is still Rulk.

As for this whole Ares thing... it's rubbish. Some people complain about the gore – it's not no much that you can see all the intestines and spine, but why you can. It is a completely gratuitous shot, which has been drastically over-rendered to give it 'weight' because the event has none.

Ares is barely an ape, mindlessly following orders and fighting. His only dimension is "Angry". He just fights. Then, someone tells him to fight someone else. So he does. Considering his total lack of depth, his successes, failures, life, and his death are meaningless.

Equally meaningless is the Sentry, who is a walking top trump, dropped in as needed. Much like his killing of Carnage way back when, he just shows up, looking like a hero, does something horrifically violent, and everyone acts stunned. Much like Ares changing sides, his continuing trend of suddenly being monstrous becomes less and less effective each time it is repeated. This is the law of diminishing returns, and something Bendis doesn't understand as his plots repeat themselves as much as his dialogue until they're a predictable mess.

So with Ares, a dull, one-note character on one side, and Sentry, a walking plot device, there is no empathy to make this scene matter. Which is why Coipel has to draw a spine and intestines exploding all over two pages.

Because if he didn't, you probably wouldn't have noticed that it happened anyway.

That's why it's inappropriate, shameless, grotesque, and purile, and not the tragic shock it's clearly meant to be.

Also, does anyone else find it hysterical, that they showed all of Ares' organs exploding in blood all over the page… but they BLEEPED OUT THE SWEAR WORD?

Last edited:
No, Zombipanda, that is still Rulk.

As for this whole Ares thing... it's rubbish. Some people complain about the gore – it's not no much that you can see all the intestines and spine, but why you can. It is a completely gratuitous shot, which has been drastically over-rendered to give it 'weight' because the event has none.

Ares is barely an ape, mindlessly following orders and fighting. His only dimension is "Angry". He just fights. Then, someone tells him to fight someone else. So he does. Considering his total lack of depth, his successes, failures, life, and his death are meaningless.

Equally meaningless is the Sentry, who is a walking top trump, dropped in as needed. Much like his killing of Carnage way back when, he just shows up, looking like a hero, does something horrifically violent, and everyone acts stunned. Much like Ares changing sides, his continuing trend of suddenly being monstrous becomes less and less effective each time it is repeated. This is the law of diminishing returns, and something Bendis doesn't understand as his plots repeat themselves as much as his dialogue until they're a predictable mess.

So with Ares, a dull, one-note character on one side, and Sentry, a walking plot device, there is no empathy to make this scene matter. Which is why Coipel has to draw a spine and intestines exploding all over two pages.

Because if he didn't, you probably wouldn't have noticed that it happened anyway.

That's why it's inappropriate, shameless, grotesque, and purile, and not the tragic shock it's clearly meant to be.

Also, does anyone else find it hysterical, that they showed all of Ares' organs exploding in blood all over the page… but they BLEEPED OUT THE SWEAR WORD?
Post Of The Month.

You just made my day, sir.

Last edited:
That is definitely ruled out. I've read the first two issues and I do not like any of it, besides the art. The only thing I really care about is wanting to see Thor beat the **** out of Norman.

See, I am quite the opposite. I am very much enjoying siege and glad to be picking it up in individual issues.

That... that's just low.

Ripping him in half and spreading his organs everywhere would've been nicer.

Just make sure you don't cuss.

I love how Norman was all like, "I was saving you from him! I did it for a reason!"

And collectively comic book fanboys were like. "OH MY GOD BENDIS IS TYING THIS TOGETHER!"

And regular minded people went, "Huh?"

It's going to be Carnage. Look closely at the Void's hands and feet... Than his mouth (those aren't teeth its the symbiote goo dripping from one lip to the other). Look at how the Void is depicted in Dark Avengers. The Sentry's first move coming back was ripping carnage in half and i bet some symbiote latched on and infected him.

Then Thor hits the Captain America shield with his hammer which creates the sonic blast that allows Bob to take control again so he can leave the solar system forever and join up with the cosmic half of the marvel universe which actually has the powerset to deal with his nonsense.

Carnage then either rejoins with Kletus or somebody else and we end with a Carnage return epilogue.

Is what I think will happen.

It's going to be Carnage. Look closely at the Void's hands and feet... Than his mouth (those aren't teeth its the symbiote goo dripping from one lip to the other). Look at how the Void is depicted in Dark Avengers. The Sentry's first move coming back was ripping carnage in half and i bet some symbiote latched on and infected him.

Then Thor hits the Captain America shield with his hammer which creates the sonic blast that allows Bob to take control again so he can leave the solar system forever and join up with the cosmic half of the marvel universe which actually has the powerset to deal with his nonsense.

Carnage then either rejoins with Kletus or somebody else and we end with a Carnage return epilogue.

hahahahahaha!!!!!!

OMG! IT TIES ALL THE WAY BACK TO MIGHTY AVENGERS WHEN BENDIS DID THE WAR OF THE SYMBIOTES!

(He did do a story about symbiote aliens invading Earth, right?)

Dude is a genius.

Interesting theory, but why call it "Siege"?

I can't really bring myself to care a whole lot about this, but I really like how short this is compared to other events.

DSF's theory makes a lot of sense.

This is a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back