Spider-Man: Battle for New York a.k.a. Ultimate Spider-Man 2

TheManWithoutFear said:
Name calling's not nice.

TheManWithoutFear = Pot

Zombipanda = Kettle

Anyway, this does indeed look like a semi-sequel to the USM video game. Its got the same dual-character playability (this time Spidey and Green Goblin instead of Spidey and Venom) and styling of the previous game. And from the little about the story I've seen, it looks like it should fit into USM continuity, at least at this point:

Gamespot said:
The game's story, which plays out via narrated stills that cycle on both the DS's screens, finds the Goblin escaping from S.H.I.E.L.D. custody. Obviously hurting some for finances, he hooks up with the Kingpin, who's awash in cash, resources, and clearly better lawyers. The evil duo hatches a plan to turn the city's gang members into superhuman, Oz-enhanced soldiers. Your mission as Spidey is to stop them, while your goal as the Goblin is to create chaos and mayhem and take out Spider-Man. It's all very "yin-yang," and it's a prime setup for a game.

I'm looking forward to it. It could end up being a surprisingly fun game, like many other of the DS's titles end up.

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
This game looks horrible. But what do I expect for a GBA? Either way....
That's an unfair comment because games for the Gameboy DS (Adavance is no more) has better graphics than any GB handheld has seen. Whoever is making this isn't using the right graphics.

sjmole said:
I saw thius game mentioned on another site as on heldholds i was soooo happy as i have just got my psp and thought cool game. then i saw it was only on gba and ds and i was gutted like a fish.

Why do the people who make spider-man games hate us psp users?
CUZ PSP SUXXX1111!!!!!

SirMarioVonServs-A-Lot.jpg

Ice said:
And the DS is wooping PSP's *** in sales.

Yes but psp is more powerful plus DS is just horrible. Gameboy-Gameboy advance = great hand helds. DS = something i wouldn't even wish upon my worst enimes lol

sjmole said:
Yes but psp is more powerful plus DS is just horrible. Gameboy-Gameboy advance = great hand helds. DS = something i wouldn't even wish upon my worst enimes lol
More powerful yet people aren't really caring. And trust me, DS is NOT horrible.

Anyways, back on topic.

DS is only a novelty in my opinion. It is Nintendo's attempt to be innovative... However there are games that utilize the two screens... And others that don't. Not only that, but the touch screen feature is silly. What was that one game where you were a doctor and you had to sew someone back up? Silly. It is hardly worth it in my opinion... But I realize there are two different kinds of gamers. And I wouldn't call the DS horrible, either, so...

sjmole said:
Power doesn't matter if the games are ****...
Goodwill said:
DS is only a novelty in my opinion. It is Nintendo's attempt to be innovative... However there are games that utilize the two screens... And others that don't. Not only that, but the touch screen feature is silly. What was that one game where you were a doctor and you had to sew someone back up? Silly. It is hardly worth it in my opinion... But I realize there are two different kinds of gamers. And I wouldn't call the DS horrible, either, so...
It's not a novelty, it's a breath of fresh air. Thanks to Sony and Microsoft, video games have become all about pretty graphics and ultra-violence. Essentially, in becoming "mainstream" video games have sacrificed their integrity. Now, there's a sort of creative stagnation in the game industry. There are plenty of great games, but they all look the same. Everything is a pale imitation of the last big hit.

The PSP is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A peice of hi-tech eyecandy that seemed destined to blow away good ol' Nintendo. But what's happened? It turns out that the PSP is all good looks with no personality and that it's game library is made up entirely of bad PS1 and PS2 ports. Sony thought they could rely on people's obsession with hip gadgets, but people weren't as dumb as they thought.

Nintendo is a ray of hope in all this drudgery, though. Nintendo has built their reputation on making endlessly replayable and endlessly inventive games and now they're just extending that to their systems. The DS is a place where developers can experiment with new forms of gameplay. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I suppose that's the beauty of it. If you play one type of DS game that you hate, chances are that there's a completely different type of game that will catch your interest. Instead of having to choose from bland shooting and racing games, you can become a surgeon, raise a pack of puppies, or defend an accused murderer. There's something for everyone on the DS (Seriously. My mom once got addicted to one of my DS games), which is a lot more than I can say about the PSP.

But that's just my two cents.

Last edited:
sjmole said:
LMAO

ok spidey 2 was disapointing after playing the free roaming console version but the game was not that bad lol

The PS2 version was pretty good, but the PSP version blew. I feel bad for anyone who paid $50 for that stinker.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Name calling's not nice.

Well that was my dose of irony for the day.

Ice said:
Whoever is making this isn't using the right graphics.

I...don't understand what you mean.

Ice said:
And the DS is wooping PSP's *** in sales.

Anyone to whom that means anything whatsoever is shallow.

E said:
I...don't understand what you mean.
Maybe what I said wasn't said in the proper terms. Just that the graphics seem very...old style. Like it's the latest graphics style in use, when the DS can support more standard graphics.

E said:
Well, I guess that'd be to you. I don't think it means someone is "shallow". ut whatever.

Ice said:
Well, I guess that'd be to you. I don't think it means someone is "shallow". ut whatever.

Specifically I mean choosing to buy a DS over a PSP just because it outsells the PSP is shallow. Buying it because you (not you, but whomever) like the games better is one thing. Bandwagon jumping - shallow.

Buying it just to be part of some Pokemon circle jerk isn't shallow, but it is lame. :mrgreen:

I think i'll award myself my first-ever Post of the Day for that last line.

E said:
Specifically I mean choosing to buy a DS over a PSP just because it outsells the PSP is shallow. Buying it because you (not you, but whomever) like the games better is one thing. Bandwagon jumping - shallow.
That was in no way what I was saying or meant or anything. IF that's what someone would do, than yeah, I agree with you.

E said:
Buying it just to be part of some Pokemon circle jerk isn't shallow, but it is lame. :mrgreen:

Congrats. POTD. :lol:

But the games still were awesome.

Ice said:
But the games still were awesome.

Some of the games, definitely. Not really my thing though. I liked Mario 64 DS until I realized that I had no interest in playing it over and over again. It's just not the kind of game I'm into. So I sold my DS. I almost bought another one for New Super Mario Bros., but, again, I realized it wasn't the kind of game I was into enough to justify it.

But yeah, I agree. There are a few games that I wish they would put out for PSP.

E said:
Some of the games, definitely.
I didn't mean the games for the DS, but yes, some are good, the others not.

This Spider-Man game doesn't look like a seller at all. I'll just save my money to help reserve for the Nintendo Wii.

Ice said:
I didn't mean the games for the DS

Oh. That's what I'm been talking about the whole time.

My bad, yo.

Zombipanda said:
Are you calling me black?

Because, I'm not racist or anything but.... dude....

No...I'm calling you purple.

Ice said:
That's an unfair comment because games for the Gameboy DS (Adavance is no more) has better graphics than any GB handheld has seen. Whoever is making this isn't using the right graphics.

True. But I don't think its a case of "the right graphics". They're just screenshots we're seeing...wait till we get some actual footage from the game, and even then it'll look better on the actual handheld.

This and Metroid Prime - Hunters are finally going to get me to go buy a DS.

sjmole said:

Actually, in terms of fan response, its quite the opposite. That was the initial reaction to the touch screen, but once people actually played games on it they seem to get sucked in.

Besides, I think this is at least partially reflected in the DS "whooping PSP's ***" in terms of sales, as Ice put it.

Goodwill said:
DS is only a novelty in my opinion.

You know, I remember that same term of "novelty" applied to the old NES controllers when they first came out (old school gamers at the time still preferring their joysticks and ATARI). Yet to this day its the basis for even the controllers for the Xbox's and Playstations.

Point is, Nintendo is at least breaking new ground, something which can't be said for any of the other console developers.

moonmaster said:
Power doesn't matter if the games are ****...

It's not a novelty, it's a breath of fresh air. Thanks to Sony and Microsoft, video games have become all about pretty graphics and ultra-violence. Essentially, in becoming "mainstream" video games have sacrificed their integrity. Now, there's a sort of creative stagnation in the game industry. There are plenty of great games, but they all look the same. Everything is a pale imitation of the last big hit.

The PSP is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A peice of hi-tech eyecandy that seemed destined to blow away good ol' Nintendo. But what's happened? It turns out that the PSP is all good looks with no personality and that it's game library is made up entirely of bad PS1 and PS2 ports. Sony thought they could rely on people's obsession with hip gadgets, but people weren't as dumb as they thought.

Nintendo is a ray of hope in all this drudgery, though. Nintendo has built their reputation on making endlessly replayable and endlessly inventive games and now they're just extending that to their systems. The DS is a place where developers can experiment with new forms of gameplay. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I suppose that's the beauty of it. If you play one type of DS game that you hate, chances are that there's a completely different type of game that will catch your interest. Instead of having to choose from bland shooting and racing games, you can become a surgeon, raise a pack of puppies, or defend an accused murderer. There's something for everyone on the DS (Seriously. My mom once got addicted to one of my DS games), which is a lot more than I can say about the PSP.

But that's just my two cents.

HERE, HERE!!!!

E said:

Not really. I guess its not the best comparison (considering the different prices of the two, etc), but it does show that hands down one is selling better than the other. And in the end, considering its a business, it really is all about sales.

E said:

When you put it that way, sure. But I think the vast majority of those sales have nothing to do with being on the bandwagon (anymore so than a freind has a DS or PSP and you want to play against them on your own via Wi-Fi, etc). It mainly stems from the reasons Moonmaster listed, as far as I'm concerned.

ANYWAY!!! MY TURN:

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

Can we now focus on this game (considering no one has done so at all in the last page or so)?

There's already a thread for the Nintendo DS, where we've already had the DS vs. PSP debate, so if you want continue it there.

Otherwise, this is the Spider-Man - Battle For New York video game thread. Focus on that. Got it? Good.

I hate these threads. They always turn into Nintendo vs. Sony debates.

Everyone knows Sega is the ****.

Latest posts

Back