Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
(Title can be changed later when we get more details)

Activision: 'Our Spider-Man Games Have Sucked'
CEO Bobby Kotick tells it like it is.

It appears Activision is looking to revitalize its Spider-Man gaming franchise.

In an interview inside the latest issue of Game Informer, CEO Bobby Kotick admitted the last couple Spider-Man games haven't been living up to fans' expectations.

"Our Spiderman games have sucked for the last five years. They are bad games," Kotick said.

"They were poorly rated because they were bad games. We went away from what is Spider-Man. It's about web-slinging. If you don't do web-slinging right, what is the fantasy of Spider-Man?"

Spider-Man Web of Shadows, Activision's last Spidey title, garnered mediocre reviews, while Spider-Man: Friend or Foe and Spider-Man 3 were also below average titles.

Details have been slim, but Activision confirmed in a financial call over the summer that the publisher plans to release a new Spider-Man title sometime in 2010. Spider-Man: Web of Shadows developer Shaba Games will not be developing the new title as Activision announced the closing of the studio this past October

From http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1061829p1.html

This oddly fills me with hope as they admit the old ones sucked.

Last edited:
Re: New Spider-Man title

Four things I need out of a Spider-Man game:
-combat more complicated than "press circle now" (c.f. Spider-Man 2)
-awesome web swinging (c.f. Spider-Man 2)
-unlockable variant costumes (c.f. Spider-Man for PS1)
-some stealth levels inside buildings (c.f. the bank level on Spider-Man for PS1 or the OsCorp level in Spider-Man (The Movie) for PS2)
(these indoor levels should have different controls than the outdoor levels to allow for zip-lining or slowly lowering on a web)

Last edited:

This oddly fills me with hope as they admit the old ones sucked.

I'm at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Yeah there's always hope, but the fact that he is completely wrong about what is wrong with Spider-Man game franchise shows ignorance on his behalf. Web-slinging (WS) hasn't been the problem. If anything, the WS has done nothing but improve over the course of their development.

Spider-Man 1 was ok with the WS----I mean sure the web attaching to mid-air was weird...but still, when compared to previous Spider-Man games...SM1 was a huge success by leaps and bounds.

Spider-Man 2 went to the extreme and created an actual WS-simulation! The physics, the detailed controls, the ability to run along walls...all of it! The only thing that kinda sucked was the story/side missions.

Spider-Man 3 took what was presented in SM2 and tweaked it a touch. It was different, but it still served as a decent WS-based game.

Ultimate Spider-Man gave us a simplified version of WS but with brilliant inclusion of being able to climb UP the web! What an amazing add on!

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows was an almost perfect WS-based game. They refined the WS and introduced a new combat system that worked well (a mix between SM2's combat/dodge system and WoS would be the perfect combat system). To be honest, I love the simplified but more artistic approach to WS presented here. When I want to just sit around...unwind...I put on this game and just swing. Peter Parker was right----its an amazing way to relax and clear your head.

To be honest, with the exception of USM, all the games have a horrible story and side missions. THAT is what needs to be revamped. Go back to the drawing board, get a couple of Marvel's best Spider-Man writers to craft out a story for your game that will include several villains and make it NOT tie into a film.

I disagree Doom. I think Spider-man 2 had the best Web-slinging. Ultimate Spider-man was a step back but more simple yes. However 3 and web of shadows were just not on par with 2 or even Ultimate spider-man swinging wise.

If they stay away from the movies and work on the game from what pull from the comics, it should be good.

Something I wouldn't mind is if they remove the free-roam or improve it. It worked in Spider-man 2 and USM but 3 and Web of Shadows the free roam was more of a chore it felt uneeded to make to swing 1000s of miles to get to a mission. Make it more mission based than free-roam like the psone spider-man games.

However if it has to be free-roam we need better crime waves. E.g Say you beat rhino in the game he should return more often. But make them make sense for the character. Let me explain more :

3 types of villains with a tier to determine what the villain does

Type 1 = Criminal , This is the villains who are only interested in doing crimes again

Tier 1 to 5. 5 will commit bigger crimes than 1. So 1 would be holing up a small shop while 5 might be robbing a bank

Type 2 = Tech villain This villains who rely more on science than crime. E.g Doc Ock could fit this.

Tier 1 to 5 with 1 been small like defuse bombs then fight villain while 5 may be robot goons a villain in a big battle

Type 3 = Revenge = These are the likes of green goblin as it makes little sense to see goblin return to rob a shop but it makes sense that you'll be swinging through city when you get hit with pumpkin bomb

Tier 1 to 5 on this one is not size but rather rather aggression and skill.

Now I'm not saying have only villains have random crime but the villain thing if done right would make it very fun.

I'm at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Yeah there's always hope, but the fact that he is completely wrong about what is wrong with Spider-Man game franchise shows ignorance on his behalf. Web-slinging (WS) hasn't been the problem. If anything, the WS has done nothing but improve over the course of their development.

Spider-Man 1 was ok with the WS----I mean sure the web attaching to mid-air was weird...but still, when compared to previous Spider-Man games...SM1 was a huge success by leaps and bounds.

Spider-Man 2 went to the extreme and created an actual WS-simulation! The physics, the detailed controls, the ability to run along walls...all of it! The only thing that kinda sucked was the story/side missions.

Spider-Man 3 took what was presented in SM2 and tweaked it a touch. It was different, but it still served as a decent WS-based game.

Ultimate Spider-Man gave us a simplified version of WS but with brilliant inclusion of being able to climb UP the web! What an amazing add on!

Spider-Man: Web of Shadows was an almost perfect WS-based game. They refined the WS and introduced a new combat system that worked well (a mix between SM2's combat/dodge system and WoS would be the perfect combat system). To be honest, I love the simplified but more artistic approach to WS presented here. When I want to just sit around...unwind...I put on this game and just swing. Peter Parker was right----its an amazing way to relax and clear your head.
I've never played Web of Shadows, but I'd have to disagree with your opinion of the web swinging in SM3. I played USM before SM2 and enjoyed both. SM2 took a while to get the hang of it, but once you learned all the tricks it was amazing! (as you said). SM3 (at least on PS2) was a HUGE step down.

Something I wouldn't mind is if they remove the free-roam or improve it. It worked in Spider-man 2 and USM but 3 and Web of Shadows the free roam was more of a chore it felt uneeded to make to swing 1000s of miles to get to a mission. Make it more mission based than free-roam like the psone spider-man games.

However if it has to be free-roam we need better crime waves. E.g Say you beat rhino in the game he should return more often. But make them make sense for the character. Let me explain more :

3 types of villains with a tier to determine what the villain does

Type 1 = Criminal , This is the villains who are only interested in doing crimes again

Tier 1 to 5. 5 will commit bigger crimes than 1. So 1 would be holing up a small shop while 5 might be robbing a bank

Type 2 = Tech villain This villains who rely more on science than crime. E.g Doc Ock could fit this.

Tier 1 to 5 with 1 been small like defuse bombs then fight villain while 5 may be robot goons a villain in a big battle

Type 3 = Revenge = These are the likes of green goblin as it makes little sense to see goblin return to rob a shop but it makes sense that you'll be swinging through city when you get hit with pumpkin bomb

Tier 1 to 5 on this one is not size but rather rather aggression and skill.

Now I'm not saying have only villains have random crime but the villain thing if done right would make it very fun.

I think a good way to make the villains more interesting would be to make one of the main plot points in the story a jail break from the RAFT. You get a list of all the super-powered inmates that escaped and then the main majority of your side mission is to track them down. Some are harder to find than others, but as time goes by you get updates about the kinds of heists certain villains have been pulling so if you can know what areas to hang around in order to find them.

Then have the main story as well. Maybe that would be too much, but it seems like an interesting idea to me.

Last edited:

I think a good way to make the villains more interesting would be to make one of the main plot points in the story a jail break from the RAFT. You get a list of all the super-powered inmates that escaped and then the main majority of your side mission is to track them down. Some are harder to find than others, but as time goes by you get updates about the kinds of heists certain villains have been pulling so if you can know what areas to hang around in order to find them.

Then have the main story as well. Maybe that would be too much, but it seems like an interesting idea to me.

I agree that could be great. I was just thinking along the lines of doing something with the free-roam parts as in the games you spend like 80% of play time just swinging through city to get to missions with a few bland incidents.

awsome Idea, that would cause an insane amount of gameplay, keepin ya hooked fer hours.............................VOTE FER MEEEE!!!!!!

Last edited:

The web-slinging in SM3 was incredible and a massive step-up from SM2. The problem was the 'feel' of the third game. You saved practically no one. The game was more about beating up the bad guys then saving the good guys. They put all kinds of extraordinary effort into taking down entire gangs, etc, when they should have focused on Spider-Man rescuing people more (the same goes for Superman Returns). I've never played Web of Shadows, so I'm not sure about that one.

I agree with Doom in that the story of most of the newer Spider-Man games have been a bit dull. The PSOne games and USM have some of the best gaming storylines I've ever experienced.

My ideal Spider-Man game would have the realistic look of the movie games (as well as a similarly talented cast), the web-swinging of SM3 and a complete upheaval on the combat system (my favourite is the system in SM2, but that's really dated now). And obviously, the nonsensical lack of extra costumes has severely impaired all of the games since the first movie one.

I for one am very pleased to hear that Activision are going to look at the mistakes they've made and try to make another truly great Spider-Man game. The bar has been set pretty damn high after Arkham Asylum.

Last edited:

I've never played Web of Shadows, but I'd have to disagree with your opinion of the web swinging in SM3. I played USM before SM2 and enjoyed both. SM2 took a while to get the hang of it, but once you learned all the tricks it was amazing! (as you said). SM3 (at least on PS2) was a HUGE step down.

I only played SM3 on the PS2 as well, and while the feel of WS was a bit more sluggish than that of the WS in SM2, they added a much needed "more artistic and acrobatic" feel to the WS that made it visually arresting (at least compared to SM2).

The physics in SM2 were indeed groundbreaking and damn near perfect.....and set the bar for every SM game to follow. But realism isn't always what's best. Look at it like this, the Gran Turismo games are the most realistic driving games out there........but also one of the most boring. Whereas you have games like Burnout with "somewhat real" driving physics but focus more on simplistic flash to guarantee that you're entertained. They do this without sacrificing the detailed gameplay...also similar to the combat system of God of War------they're simplistic enough for newcomers to be able to dive right in....but for for those who put the time in to master the more detailed aspects of the systems, they're rewarded deeply.

So I'm saying that if they mix 90% of the physics of SM2 with they simple and artistic WS system of WoS and add the web-climb feature from USM, then they will have the perfect WS system.

I agree with Doom in that the story of most of the newer Spider-Man games have been a bit dull. The PSOne games and USM have some of the best gaming storylines I've ever experienced.

The problem with stories of the games have been the fact that they all tie into the story of the movies. Movie tie-ins always tend to be horrible because there's a story already established and yet the developers find random ways to add-in extra villains.

My opinion of what needs to happen still stands.

Activision Titles New Spider-Man Game

The newest issue of GamePro magazine teases the upcoming reveal of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, the newest Spidey title expected to be released this year. No details about what platform the title will appear on are available at this time.

Last summer, Activision CEO Mike Griffith confirmed during a company conference call a new Spider-Man game will be released in 2010. No other details were revealed at that time. Activision hopes this year's title turns the floundering series around for good. CEO Bobby Kotick said in a recent interview the publisher's Spiderman games "have sucked" for the past five years.

We do know Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions won't be developed by former Spider-Man: Web of Shadows developer Shaba Games. Activision closed the studio last October during a company-wide restructure. IGN has contacted Activision for more information. We'll update this story when we hear back.

from http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1078036p1.html

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

1) Can a Mod please change the name of the thread to "Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions"

2) I wonder if Shattered Dimensions could involve alternate worlds like i get the impression from title e.g travel to ultimate spider-man , Marvel Zombies , 616 , movieverse ect...

Last edited:
IGN leaks new Spider-Man game, confirmed by Dan Slott on Twitter. 'Official' announcement coming April 3rd during Wondercon.

As for the game itself, it seems Spider-Man will be visiting several different locations this time instead of remaining in one city for the entire length of the game. Fans are told to "prepare to be surprised with the unique, unexpected worlds Spider-Man will adventure through in Activision's latest foray," the listing says.

Shattered Dimensions is also said to feature a new universe "never before seen in Spider-Man video games" and include two "new villains."

agh
i hate news like this.

I can't justify buying a video game console when i only play superhero games, but i love superhero games SO MUCH!

Merged, thanks.

YW

But on topic I hope the two "new villains." Are not going to be the people they did after BND like Negative man or the red goblin or whatever.

Latest posts

Back