Star Trek discussion (Spoilers!)

What did you think of Star Trek?

• Total voters
Harlan Ellison has expressed an interest in pitching an idea for the next Star Trek film.

Heh. I think he needs someone to sue for stealing his ideas. Again!

He is talented but he is bad news!

I'll just say it again: STAR TREK is extremely entertaining, Chris Pine is as good a Kirk as Shatner ever was, the special effects are among the best I have ever seen, and it is probably at least the fifth best Trek film to date, if only because of the music.

It is, however, a big rip-off of WRATH OF KHAN, it is idiotic, shallow, and horribly cliched.

I am conflicted just like Gothamite is.

Get over the hate that Abrams ripped from Wrath of Khan and embrace your love of this movie and bask in warm feeling that at least Abrams ripped from the best Star Trek movie.

So i'm at my parents place for the week for Christmas. The other day my brother says, "Hey, you wanna watch this old Star Trek Movie that i bought at a garage sale for $1?"
So I say yeah.
He pops in this VHS and we start watching this craptacular old Start Trek film from, like the 80s. I fell asleep about 30 minutes in (which doesn't happen much to me during movies, but this yawn-fest did the trick). Before I fell asleep I couldn't help but notice that there were some striking similarities between this movie and the new Star Trek. The villain (I think his name was Thrawn) was a guy who basically just wanted revenge on Kirk (much like Nero wanted revenge on Spok). The movie even started off with Kirstey Alley as a vulcan taking the same test that Kirk cheated on in the new Trek.

I just thought it was cool how JJ was able to take some elements from a crappy old Star Trek film and use them in a good movie.

So i'm at my parents place for the week for Christmas. The other day my brother says, "Hey, you wanna watch this old Star Trek Movie that i bought at a garage sale for $1?"
So I say yeah.
He pops in this VHS and we start watching this craptacular old Start Trek film from, like the 80s. I fell asleep about 30 minutes in (which doesn't happen much to me during movies, but this yawn-fest did the trick). Before I fell asleep I couldn't help but notice that there were some striking similarities between this movie and the new Star Trek. The villain (I think his name was Thrawn) was a guy who basically just wanted revenge on Kirk (much like Nero wanted revenge on Spok). The movie even started off with Kirstey Alley as a vulcan taking the same test that Kirk cheated on in the new Trek.

I just thought it was cool how JJ was able to take some elements from a crappy old Star Trek film and use them in a good movie.

:lol:

Win!

So I say yeah.

simpsonbh0.jpg

at least abrams ripped from the best star trek movie.

the villain (i think his name was thrawn) was a guy who basically just wanted revenge on kirk (much like nero wanted revenge on spok). The movie even started off with kirstey alley as a vulcan taking the same test that kirk cheated on in the new trek.

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!

So I say yeah.

This deserves to be an Internet Meme, in the tradition of "The Core Marvel Universe."

I watched the new one again and I loved it again, in spite of its horrendous flaws and lack of Trekness. I think the movie is more accurately a "Captain Kirk movie" as opposed to a Star Trek movie.

It completely abandons all of Roddenberry's ideas for the future and instead just focuses on the aesthetic of the franchise and more importantly, the badassery of its most prominent and decorated character. It doesn't do anything "new" for the franchise the way the media all pretended it did; it just celebrates what's already there by jettisoning all of the deeper stuff and focusing squarely on the action beats and character tics that people have fallen in love over the past 40something years.

Yeah.

I kinda agree. The music, in particular, makes it much more of a 1950s B-Movie sci-fi spectacle.

Which is cool, but that's STAR WARS. And Trek isn't STAR WARS.

However, I think you give it too little credit. There's a lot there that comes from enjoying the fact its Kirk, Spock, et al. Really, I think the inspiration of this movie was "Let's take the Star Trek characters and stick 'em in Star Wars".

And I think, for the most part, it worked, and is a nice way to reboot it. The plot is horribly contrived and stupid and I don't think Kirk needs an origin copy and pasted from The Hero With 1000 Faces, but the storytelling was terrific fun.

I call it the reverse-WATCHMEN movie.

I got this on Zune so I can watch it on my X-Box whenever I freaking want. I don't care what anyone else thinks (not a good way to start a discussion I know) , but this movie rocked my ass off.

My dad got me into Star Trek when I was real young. Seen all the movies, and I thought this was bad-ass. It kept everything about Trek that makes it Trek, and streamlined it.

I know that a lot of the old Trek movies suck balls, but I love them for nostalgic purposes. This references a ton of stuff from the old movies, and keeps the continuity there with old Spock, while opening the book to create completely new adventures.

I want Star Trek 2 like... NOW. Yesterday. The day before even.

The guy who played Kirk had Shatner's swagger down. Karl Urban was a great Bones. Close your eyes and you almost think it's DeForest Kelly. I loved it. And Uhura is smoking smoking hot. Smoooking hot.

Me likey Uhura.

I hope they bring Khan into the next one! That's one thing that Nero didn't change at all about the timeline. Khan is out there!

Saw it with my dad recently too, and his opinion is the one opinion I really care about. He loved it.

Last edited:
THEY ALREADY DID KHAN! STAR TREK IS THE SAME DAMN MOVIE AS WRATH OF KHAN!

*deep breath deep breath deep breath*

I want them to do something I've never seen before.

And well.

Perhaps if they didn't have the writers of LOST and THE TRANSFORMERS working on it, I'd have higher hopes. :(

Yeah Ricardo Montalban was Khan, but this is a reboot, so Kirk and Khan have never met in this universe.

Deep breaths buddy!

Latest posts

Back