Superman: Doomsday [spoilers]

Re: Superman: Doomsday

Those characters were in the Return of Superman, not the Death of Superman

Superman Doomsday is an adaption of Death of Superman AND Return of Superman. Instead of 4 new Supermen, which was a pretty cool and original idea, there is a single clone. Yawn.

So nothing happened in Coast City? It wouldn't've been too hard to spin a green lantern emerald twilight/rebirth type story out of this for a sequel of sorts. but i suppose noone would've got it.

Superman Doomsday is an adaption of Death of Superman AND Return of Superman. Instead of 4 new Supermen, which was a pretty cool and original idea, there is a single clone. Yawn.

Oh, then yeah, that was gay, you got robbed

They should have done two stories, not one

So I finally found a place to rent this and I have just finished it.

Not bad.

Once you get past the different character designs and voice acting...it's not that bad.

I think the hardest thing for me to do for this was to get past the idea that despiet the similar look----this doesn't fit into the Timmverse continuity. I kept expecting Batman or GL to show up for assitance.

This fights were crisp and nicely detailed. They weren't better than Timm's Capt Marvel Vs Superman.....or Grudge Match......but they were pretty nice to watch.

I have more ideas.....but I'm beginning to drink heavily and the effects are..........well..........taking effect. So I'll be signing off soon.

Worth a rental for Timm fans and casual fans. Worth a buy for the hardcore Supes fan.

I do agree about the fight scenes...there were some pretty unique/clever moves that took advantage of the character's powers. It was nice that it wasn't just punching and stomping.

Saw it today.

Lex's ''why did you leave me'' line was creepy.

He also looked like moby.

The one thing I did forget to mention in my modest review was that, although several others said it, the film has a much darker tone than those who are familiar with Timm's work, are acustomed to.

Like when
Doomsday killed that deer. Or when Lex shot Mercy in the face.
:shock: It took me by surprise at some of the stuff they showed. Granted for a PG-13 film it was no worse than any of the Spiderman films.....but it was a big step up from some of the JLU stuff.

The one thing I did forget to mention in my modest review was that, although several others said it, the film has a much darker tone than those who are familiar with Timm's work, are acustomed to.

Like when
Doomsday killed that deer. Or when Lex shot Mercy in the face.
:shock: It took me by surprise at some of the stuff they showed. Granted for a PG-13 film it was no worse than any of the Spiderman films.....but it was a big step up from some of the JLU stuff.

I thought the Toyman stuff was more shocking then that.

Just bought it today. In all, it wasn't bad. Doomsday was well portrayed and I liked the rationale in how he came to be. However, the fight could have been a tad longer and Superman could have looked a bit more bashed up. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the death and carnage they were willing to show.

The clone worked for me for condensing down the Reign, but I agree they could have fleshed it out a little more. I would have liked to see the Cyborg or Eradicator worked in in some way (which would have only take a little bit more creativity), but for the whole Luthor scenario it was probably the best way for them to go.

Speaking of Luthor, I think this is the most threatening he has been in a long while. Totally ruthless and genius, I enjoyed it. I wish some of his dialogue had been a little bit less hammy. That line about calling Doomsday an "intergalactic soccer hooligan" was great though.

In all, I think this was a very decent effort. Solid A- in my opinion.

Last edited:

I loved the mechanical spider in-joke

I abhored this movie with the fiery fury of ten thousand furnace-ridden Hells.

I thought the fights were slow for a couple of guys who can both move faster than the speed of sound, and cheated that DC dared call this SUPERMAN/DOOMSDAY or tout it as "inspired by the DEATH OF SUPERMAN" when it barely shared any common characteristics with the original story. You can't even call it a loose adaptation and DC only tried to convince fans that it had anything to do with the DoS arc because they knew a direct-to-DVD Superman cartoon wouldn't sell if it was called what it really was, and that's SUPERMAN VERSUS YET ANOTHER CRAPPY COMIC BOOK CLONE OF HIMSELF.

Hmm.

I never thought the comic was a good idea and yet I enjoy the Dini-Timm.

Hmm.

I just saw it through tv-links.co.uk (that's for Mole as he's UK bound like me).

Pretty cool and not bad. Got me into my Superman mood.

Some of it was shocking as hell.
Mercy's death was damned harsh.

The actual Doomsday battle was by and far, the best bit of the movie and while afterwards there were some nice scenes (such as the clone's hairdresser appointment), the story (much like it did in the comic) runs out of steam because the story was always about Superman's death and selling that moment means it's pretty ****ing hard to do anything after it that doesn't feel like Hollywood fairy-dust to make things better.

I really liked Adam Baldwin and James Marsters in their respective roles. While I adored Clancy Brown, James Marsters really did take to Luthor extremely well (it was odd in that Superman was older than his usual Timm appearances yet Luthor's voice made him sound younger than his usual Timm appearances).

It was solid, and I think, better than the comic, if for one reason. The way in which the Superman/Doomsday brawl is a good ending to that brawl, whereas the original ending was, I felt, really not good at all.

One thing that did annoy me? Kevin Smith's line. It made no sense to be in there. One guy, out of nowhere, just saying Superman sucks doesn't make any sense in the atmosphere of the film.

Wish this out in the UK :( oh well I'll import it sometime

You can see it at tv-links.co.uk in the movies section.

I think the hardest thing for me to do for this was to get past the idea that despiet the similar look----this doesn't fit into the Timmverse continuity. I kept expecting Batman or GL to show up for assitance.

Yeah - it really annoyed me at first. I was expecting to see Doomsday be released from the Phantom Zone.

Originally, THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN was supposed to be a big DC crossover, but no one wanted to do it, so it was just contained in the Superman comics. I think JUSTICE LEAGUE: DOOMSDAY would've been ****ing sweet (if only for more Kevin Conroy Batman) but they already did that twice in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

If they had kept it in continuity, two things would've happened: one, Lex Luthor can't be in it (since he 'dies' at the end of JLU), and two, it would've been stupid to keep it 'in continuity' without guest starring the League which turns it more away from its central theme - the death of Superman. When Superman dies, we'd be treated to how the Leaguers take his death, not his family, and they already did that in "Hereafter" in JUSTICE LEAGUE.

So, while it would've been cool to continue JLU and show us how Doomsday and Lex get out of their respective hellholes, and the inevitable awesomeness of seeing the main seven of the Justice League try to take down Doomsday and fail, I also understand the desire to put it in its own continuity.

For me, when Doomsday is revealed and Lex and Superman obviously haven't met him before, I just went, "Okay. Not Timmverse. Fair enough." and enjoyed it on its own merits.

I abhored this movie with the fiery fury of ten thousand furnace-ridden Hells.

I thought the fights were slow for a couple of guys who can both move faster than the speed of sound, and cheated that DC dared call this SUPERMAN/DOOMSDAY or tout it as "inspired by the DEATH OF SUPERMAN" when it barely shared any common characteristics with the original story. You can't even call it a loose adaptation and DC only tried to convince fans that it had anything to do with the DoS arc because they knew a direct-to-DVD Superman cartoon wouldn't sell if it was called what it really was, and that's SUPERMAN VERSUS YET ANOTHER CRAPPY COMIC BOOK CLONE OF HIMSELF.

I think this is both fair and unfair. I think you're right, in that deviated a lot from the original comic, but from the adverts I saw, it never once pretended to involve the four returning Supermen, nor Coast City, the League, Green Lantern or anything else. Also, it was inspired by THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN, in the same way that ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN is inspired by the 616 Spider-Man. There's bound to be changes and they seemed quite open with what would be changed.

That said, I also think that the whole point of the story, Superman vs Evil Clone Superman is crappy, as you say, but at the same time, it was nice that they went that way as it continued to darken the mood of the film.

Anyhow, I think it was as good as it was bad. Nothing amazing, and we've seen far better from both Superman and Doomsday in the cartoons, but I enjoyed it and was entertained by some of it.

I enjoyed it as much, if not a bit more than, most of its live-action rivals we've been seeing recently from Marvel and DC.

Also - much better than Marvel's direct-to-DVD animated feature attempts.

I just saw it through tv-links.co.uk (that's for Mole as he's UK bound like me).

cool thanks dude , wish I had known yesterday :lol: I pre-ordered from here

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=716203

I am loving hmv resonatly , their free stuff and cover for spider-man 3 , transformers box , thundercats and now this , hmv exclusives are great

For me, when Doomsday is revealed and Lex and Superman obviously haven't met him before, I just went, "Okay. Not Timmverse. Fair enough." and enjoyed it on its own merits.

couldn't it be it counted as Timmverse since unless something huge changes i.e lex dies , couldn't it fit with-in S:TAS as he hadn't met league then ? might be wrong as i've not seen it

Last edited:

Can't fit in because Doomsday's origins aren't the same. :/

Also, if you're unsure about the DVD you can always watch it online and cancel the pre-order if you don't like it.

Can't fit in because Doomsday's origins aren't the same. :/

Also, if you're unsure about the DVD you can always watch it online and cancel the pre-order if you don't like it.

That's a good idea , but i've been looking forward to dvd. plus everyone seems to love it so should be cool

but thanks dude.

I loved ULTIMATE AVENGERS 1 & 2.

IRON MAN bored me to tears.

Haven't seen DOCTOR STRANGE yet.

But SUPERMAN/DOOMSDAY is by far and away the worst of the lot.

Latest posts

Back