Superman: Doomsday [spoilers]

Re: Superman: Doomsday

First of all, I've never been a fan of the original Death of Superman story.

Rented the DVD a few days ago and just got around to watching it.

It was...... awesome.:shock:

My dad watched it first(he's a huge Supes fan too) and said it was really good, but I still wasn't quite prepared for how good it was. The fight scenes just kept getting better(I thought the one at the end actually topped the Doomsday battle).... the characterization was pretty much spot-on, and on the whole it was just so powerful.

I was thrown off in the first few minutes by the different character models(argh.... Clark's cheekbones.... I have no idea what they were thinking with those. They could've saved themselves the trouble by leaving them completely off and he would've looked fine) and different voice acting, but once the initial shock wore off it all played fine.

Despite pushing the DCAU's violence and terror bar farther than it's been since Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, what really makes this work is the fact that through-and-through, it feels like a true SUPERMAN movie.

9 out of 10.

I bought this today while I was out and just finished watching it , This was even cooler than I thought it would be. I love the animated series and movies my favourite was Return of the joker Until this.

I loved the voices. I loved the art , even more so at the beginning the staright from comics meets timmverse look was great. Only fault animation wise IMO was when
SuperClone
was standing on that statue on the building at the camera span around , as it was spinning the ledge/statue looked like they had no idea what they wanted , It kinda looked like old badly done 3d effects mixed with cartoon , did not like that.

Besides that the film was perfect for me , I especially loved how Lois was not stupid , she knew who he was so instead of the "hmm what's he hiding" "i have to keep my identity from her" like every other super hero film instead we get "He's not committing to me as he knows i know who he is" which was a fresh twist on an old classic , I love it.

Also Holy **** I loved how ****ing ruthless Lex is in this.
When he shot that woman in the head I was like "NO way he just did that in an animated film ..... he did" then he tops that by beating the **** out of superclone , I just thought woah if that was the real one that would have just been so sick

Also I kind of wish the real superman in the comics would become like Superclone was, I loved how he just killed the toy maker for what he did , I thought Nice i can get behind that

I give this a 4.7 out of 5

First of all, I've never been a fan of the original Death of Superman story.

I've never even read the actual 'Death of Superman' story. It's just a slugfest. Even the writers have admitted that. It's the events after the actual death that rule the school. I re-read "The Return of Superman" again recently and I was blown away by it. That's the DTV they should have made. It's just one, big, awesome, Summer blockbuster of a story. There's not a lot of depth to it, but it's concentrated awesome.

It was...... awesome.:shock:

I'd give it 7.5 or maybe even 8/10. It was far from perfect. Most of the film was great,
but 'Dark Superman' just annoyed me. He was just too plain-looking and clichéd. They could have at least given him a new costume to represent his more ruthless personality.
I was thrown off in the first few minutes by the different character models(argh.... Clark's cheekbones.... I have no idea what they were thinking with those. They could've saved themselves the trouble by leaving them completely off and he would've looked fine) and different voice acting, but once the initial shock wore off it all played fine.

Superman was nothing special. He was pretty much the same as the other two guys who played him on the DCAU shows.

Lois Lane was ****e. She was completely over the top and the actress playing her was speaking far too fast half the time. Not to mention, her character model was completely uninspired.

Lex stole the show, to be fair. Even though I didn't like his model, James Marsters ruled and was easily on a par with the great Clancy Brown.

Despite pushing the DCAU's violence and terror bar farther than it's been since Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, what really makes this work is the fact that through-and-through, it feels like a true SUPERMAN movie.
9 out of 10.

It just didn't seem to have the heart of a real Superman movie. I didn't get the feeling at all that people were truly heartbroken about Superman's demise, the way I did in the comic. This film really failed to show how much Superman meant to the world and that annoyed me big time.

Last edited:

I'd give it 7.5 or maybe even 8/10. It was far from perfect. Most of the film was great,
but 'Dark Superman' just annoyed me. He was just too plain-looking and clichéd. They could have at least given him a new costume to represent his more ruthless personality.

If they had wouldn't people think he meant to be Bizarro?

It just didn't seem to have the heart of a real Superman movie. I didn't get the feeling at all that people were truly heartbroken about Superman's demise, the way I did in the comic. This film really failed to show how much Superman meant to the world and that annoyed me big time.

I agree that would have made this better , It was still very very well done but I admit I wanted to see more people upset. E.g
When superclone was standing on the building with his cape blowing and was a shadow , I at first thought it was Batman and we were going to get shots of the leauge upset
but it didn't take away anything and I love it , Infact I'll probably watch dvd again tomorrow

I still think it would have been best to have
instead of 'Dark Superman' to have the four in the Return story. I mean each of those characters were great in their own right. And a Bruce Timm Hank Henshaw would've rocked my socks off.

I added a spoiler note to the title - no need to mask spoilers.

I added a spoiler note to the title - no need to mask spoilers.

Cool thanks , I hated adding
to everything

Last edited:

I still think it would have been best to have instead of 'Dark Superman' to have the four in the Return story. I mean each of those characters were great in their own right. And a Bruce Timm Hank Henshaw would've rocked my socks off.

Yep. A perfect DCUDTV would be a more accurate Death & Return story, complete with a sickeningly 90s Kon-El, a heartwarmingly heroic John Henry Irons, a deadly Eradicator and a despicable Cyborg.

"The Return of Superman" is basically the TransFormers movie of Superman stories. It's just constant action and concentrated fun. I daresay this was the last truly fun Superman story, ever. So many of them today are so concerned with being epic and dramatic that they lose out on the fun aspect. Superman Doomsday is a prime example of this.

Last edited:
I totally have a crush on Jimmy Olsen from this... I might turn him into an avatar.

I bought this months ago but just watched it tonight.

Better than expected... I liked the animation of lois but not the voice, and the opposite for Lex...

It could have used an extra Half Hour.

Last edited:
I totally have a crush on Jimmy Olsen from this... I might turn him into an avatar.

He was basically the same as STAS Jimmy, except he looked about four or five years older. Has anyone noticed how all they did with the character designs was make the characters look younger or older? Superman looked about ten years older than he was in JLU, Lois looked about five years younger than she originally appeared in STAS, Lex looked ten years younger and Martha looked nearly ten years older.

It could have used an extra Half Hour.

More Super-Characters with more colourful costumes. More sadness that Supes is dead. Better movie.

More Super-Characters with more colourful costumes. More sadness that Supes is dead. Better movie.

Agreed but I think the reason is this part of the timmverse right? And in justice league didn't they do a two parter where people did react to his "death" when he was trapped in another place.

So the logic could be it would just be a rehash from the universe point of view plus if saw that episode you know how they react.

might be wrong but that's what I think.

Agreed but I think the reason is this part of the timmverse right? And in justice league didn't they do a two parter where people did react to his "death" when he was trapped in another place.

So the logic could be it would just be a rehash from the universe point of view plus if saw that episode you know how they react.

might be wrong but that's what I think.

This is not a part of the Timmverse.

I hate to mean...but geez, they said that about a buhzillion times.

Latest posts

Back