Supreme Power renamed "Squadron Supreme"!

UltimateE said:
For anyone who missed it (it was a late addition):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=5989

J. Michael Stracynski and Gary Frank's "Supreme Power" will become "Squadron Supreme" when it moves from the Marvel MAX imprint to Marvel Knights. The new book will get an issue number one.
Wasn't it first called Squadron Supreme? Least, that was what I was told.

I'm rather disappointed with the move to Marvel Knights. I liked the mature modern take on the JLA. I just feel like it's going to be watered down now.

icemastertron said:
Wasn't it first called Squadron Supreme? Least, that was what I was told.

It's based on the original series, called Squadron Supreme....

Supreme Power had been basically Ultimate Squadron Supreme.

Dr.Strangefate said:
It's based on the original series, called Squadron Supreme....

Supreme Power had been basically Ultimate Squadron Supreme.
Yeah, that's what I was told.

I might, *MIGHT* decide to pick this up. I may not. It all depends. I do have lots of ongoings as it is.

icemastertron said:
Yeah, that's what I was told.

I might, *MIGHT* decide to pick this up. I may not. It all depends. I do have lots of ongoings as it is.

Post your pull list an I'm sure we can give you some suggestions on what to drop so you can get this. :twisted:

I'm reading the oriinal Squadron Supreme series right now. Great stuff for it's time.

UltimateE said:
Post your pull list an I'm sure we can give you some suggestions on what to drop so you can get this. :twisted:
GASP!

I never drop titles. It would take a VERY CONIVING person to convice me to get this for sure.

icemastertron said:
GASP!

I never drop titles. It would take a VERY CONIVING person to convice me to get this for sure.

Have I steered you wrong on any comic I've ever recommended to you?

Just trust me.

I'm getting the ongoing, although come college time, and I'm going to have to cut down my comic intake by lots....

Unless I can find an okay job

Dr.Strangefate said:
I'm getting the ongoing, although come college time, and I'm going to have to cut down my comic intake by lots....

Unless I can find an okay job
I got scholarships and financial aid paying for EVERYTHING. I literally don't even pay a penny.

UltimateE said:

I'm reading the oriinal Squadron Supreme series right now. Great stuff for it's time.

It's only dated a little bit, and there are some missteps here and there. But the more I think about today's "nothing happens for a gajillion issues" bollocks, the more I want stuff like the original Squadron Supreme - Gruenwald was there first and he didn't **** around. He just told the damn story. Good for him. Wasn't he the first superhero comic writer to properly tackle the fascist nature of the superhero genre? I think he was.

Bass said:
It's only dated a little bit, and there are some missteps here and there. But the more I think about today's "nothing happens for a gajillion issues" bollocks, the more I want stuff like the original Squadron Supreme - Gruenwald was there first and he didn't **** around. He just told the damn story. Good for him. Wasn't he the first superhero comic writer to properly tackle the fascist nature of the superhero genre? I think he was.

From the back cover:

Before Watchmen...

Before Marvels...

Before Kingdom Come...

...There was Squadron Supreme.

And yes, there are some things that are dated (the dialogue, the costumes, some of the plot points), but I'm able to read it in that context and not compare it to today's books. Much easier to enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is that way.

And seriously, I just read the part (issue) where the Institute of Evil (ha!) "brainwashes" the SS with the B-Mod machine...and I was amazed at how the story started, progressed, and was resolved in one issue. :D

UltimateE said:
...and I was amazed at how the story started, progressed, and was resolved in one issue. :D
Thats becoming a lost art in the era of TPBs and low cost Digests...

Supreme Power is one of the best books around, and I'm sure Squadron Supreme will be just as good. I don't give a flying monkeys about the loss of boobies and cusses, I felt for the most part it was gratuitous, especially the nudity. I'll admit that the odd bit of swearing was amusing, but will it really have such a lessened effect if they say @$#%* instead of ****? Although, considering that I'm allowed to get away with 'prick' on this all ages board, I hope that stays in.

Can anyone tell me whether the Squadron Supreme TPB collects all of the issues?

Fuzzy Birds said:
Can anyone tell me whether the Squadron Supreme TPB collects all of the issues?

Yes and no. It collects all 12 or 13 issues of the miniseries (including an appearance in Captain America) but there were other appearances (not directly part of this storyline) that are collected in other TPBs. From what I understand they aren't real easy to come by, and the SS TPB explains things pretty well that I don't think they are required reading.

DIrishB said:
Well you did recommend Ultimate Iron Man to him that one time, so... :roll:

I know you are joking, but that's a pretty serious charge to lob at someone. I did no such thing.

Supreme Power is probably one of the best comics out there today (Just as good as the Ultimates, in my opinion). Nighthawk and Hyperion just started, and they're just as good (Hyperion was all set-up, but I geeked out when Shape, Arcanna and Nuke showed up.) I won't miss the nudity or swearing because it's not nessecary. The violence level should still be the same. Plus, I'm glad that the SS is FINALLY forming. I. CAN'T. WAIT! :D

I'll miss the nudity and swearing, but the comic should still be pretty good.

Latest posts

Back