The All-About Video Games thread

Most of the "vs" games (Marvel, Capcom, Tatsunoko, Street Fighter, etc.) are pretty fun. But they're incredibly unbalanced and, as such, not really suited toward high level play. The best thing about Guilty Gear and BlazBlue is...actually, it's probably the speed of the games and how off-kilt they are (especially compared to something like Street Fighter). But a highlight is the fact that you can be awesome with any character because of the balance. I mean, there are tiers and matchup advantages, but it doesn't matter nearly as much as in most other 2D fighting games.

Also, there's no projectile spamming in the ArcSys games. People who only know how to win matches via Hadoken are the scourge of the Earth.

Last edited:
Those are usually only problems at the beginner level. Tat vs capcom is pretty balanced itself. Literally anyone can play and I can't really see it being used as a evo tourney game unless on arcade. Never considered guilty gear to be balanced considering every character has one-hit kills. Never gave blazblue a chance past a few matches but it didn't feel any different from ggxx.

Those are usually only problems at the beginner level. Tat vs capcom is pretty balanced itself. Literally anyone can play and I can't really see it being used as a evo tourney game unless on arcade. Never considered guilty gear to be balanced considering every character has one-hit kills. Never gave blazblue a chance past a few matches but it didn't feel any different from ggxx.

I've heard unpleasant things about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but I'll take your word for it because I haven't played it myself. Evo is hardly an accurate representation of quality and balance in fighting games, anyway.

And the instant-kills in Guilty Gear are amateur hour. The inputs are fairly simple and they can be blocked/avoided with relative ease. You should give Blazblue another shot, if you ever have the opportunity. It has a lot of depth if you get into it. Though, it'll probably be be replaced by Super Street Fighter 4 in my lineup relatively soon.

if there's a price drop, I'll look into it again. Although I love the SF series, I can hardly stomach IV. My love for 3rd Strike gets in the way which is a bit bothersome, but I'm sticking to my guns until they apply the parry system or Ryu stops looks like a mongoloid. Although the fact Dudly and Ibuki/Maki have been added make it hard to pass up. Throw in some Yun/Yang and Alex and I may be picking this up. Also Q. Q was badass.

All of the classic album Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience (sans the spoken word "Exp") is coming to Rock Band, apparently Harmonix now has the exclusive rights to the entirety of the Hendrix catalogue and plan on releasing the rest of the band's albums.

Also as a single they'll be releasing "Valleys of Neptune", which will all be joining "Fire" wich was on Lego Rock Band.

I'm really looking forward to this.

if there's a price drop, I'll look into it again. Although I love the SF series, I can hardly stomach IV. My love for 3rd Strike gets in the way which is a bit bothersome, but I'm sticking to my guns until they apply the parry system or Ryu stops looks like a mongoloid. Although the fact Dudly and Ibuki/Maki have been added make it hard to pass up. Throw in some Yun/Yang and Alex and I may be picking this up. Also Q. Q was badass.

Apparently, SSF4 fixes most of the problems with the original. I'm looking forward to it. It's more promising than the sequel/update to BlazBlue, that's for sure.

And I love Third Strike too, actually. It's easily my favorite instillation in the series. Unfortunately, Chun-Li is sort of broken, which bothers me because she's my primary character in SF. I'd actually prefer if she were bottom tier...I think I prefer frustration at losing when I'm at a disadvantage to feeling unbelievably cheap when I'm playing a God-mode character.

Anyway, if you ever decide to pick up a PS3 version of BB, let me know and we can play a few matches online (provided that you're using a PS3 and have the capability for online play).

All of the classic album Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience (sans the spoken word "Exp") is coming to Rock Band, apparently Harmonix now has the exclusive rights to the entirety of the Hendrix catalogue and plan on releasing the rest of the band's albums.

Also as a single they'll be releasing "Valleys of Neptune", which will all be joining "Fire" wich was on Lego Rock Band.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Can't wait to try Voodoo Child on Expert mode.

Any one buy Just Cause 2? I loved demo and today I bought the game. It's really fun and I love it. I got the limited edition as it was only £2 more. I love the fact ps3 version has video capture. I'll mess around with that soon. Some of the stuff you can do is fun and pretty creative.

Apparently, SSF4 fixes most of the problems with the original. I'm looking forward to it. It's more promising than the sequel/update to BlazBlue, that's for sure.

And I love Third Strike too, actually. It's easily my favorite instillation in the series. Unfortunately, Chun-Li is sort of broken, which bothers me because she's my primary character in SF. I'd actually prefer if she were bottom tier...I think I prefer frustration at losing when I'm at a disadvantage to feeling unbelievably cheap when I'm playing a God-mode character.

Anyway, if you ever decide to pick up a PS3 version of BB, let me know and we can play a few matches online (provided that you're using a PS3 and have the capability for online play).

Sweetness. You know i wondered about chun-li. Her super kick special is the only special in the game that i couldn't parry. I ****ing tried for three hours along with two others friends. I don't know if that's the reason but damn it was hard.

I'm a little bit wary of Metroid: Other M.

On one hand, I'm a big fan of the series. The gameplay looks fantastic, and I've heard good things about Team Ninja.

On the other, I hear the story will be largely based on the E-Manga. (Which was basically a manga retelling of Samus' origins.) While the manga had a lot of good ideas, the execution was severely lackluster. I was especially bothered by their portrayal of Samus, who comes off more like a "generic action heroine" then the character I fell in love with and only got one or two scenes of serious asskicking.

(Yes, I am aware of the irony of calling a character based on a video game character who never spoke a "generic action heroine." In my defense, my first and favorite Metroid game was Fusion, which was the first time Samus spoke. She seemed a lot different there then in the manga, though.)

I might change my mind about this. Who knows? I might even have fun with it.

Probably cause Chun Li is made of win.

Truth.

[video=youtube;Znuyn9d0xVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuyn9d0xVY[/video]

No, I don't keep looking for excuses to post this. Why do you ask?

Last edited:
Taken from the Street Fighter 4 thread so it doesn't get too derailed....

I completely suck at Street Fighter now. I tried playing this weekend and I could barely pull off a Dragon Punch.

I wanted to chalk it up to the fact that I can't get used to the XBox controller....but I admit that it's because of my lack of practice and skill. I've spent the last several months honing my Tekken6 skills. I might not be able to throw a fireball....but if I pick Asuka, Miguel or my new fav---Big Bob, then you're in serious trouble.

I haven't played that one yet, but I bet I could murder you with Paul or Law.

No. You couldn't.

ESPECIALLY if I get Asuka. I have an amazing array of high/low combos and deceptively strong power moves that will irk the **** out of any experienced player. And the counters.....OH THE COUNTERS!

Don't make me use Christie.

Splasin' around gettin' everybody all wet.

**** her! That is Eddy Gordo with boobs and a ponytail.

The exact same moves.

This ain't real life, this is Street Fighter *****!

Yeah, but she has boobs and a ponytail.

I may be biased, when I was a young wee Houde, and my brother bought Street Fighter 2, he made me fight him all the time. He had trouble with Chun Li, so I had to play her all the time.

This makes one extremely good with that character. And once I learned the whole bouncing off your head thing, it was on like Donkey Kong.

I hear a challenge. Do you have a ps3?

ERRONEOUS!

The greatest incarnation of Chun-Li was for the PS1 and it was Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha. I know she's great in SF4....but in EX+A they gave her that "punching throw" and it was love all over again.

On a sidenote----that game features a character name Hokuto was my favorite to play with (aside from Skullomania). Ironically enough, Asuka from Tekken looks and plays much like Hokuto.

I do indeed. Once I get back, I'm gonna set-up my PS3 for online capability. Up to now, all I used online for was to download demos and game extras.

i got a couple friends you may want to add for some good competition. My best friend, Nat, is a beast with King.

One of the cheapest characters in the game. Punch, punch, punch, inescapable suplex. Or my favorite....the throw combos that are almost impossible to escape.

Followed closely by Dragunov.

Feng's stomp is extremely cheap if he catches you in it.

I love using Feng. I want to learn how to use him better. His moves are based so much on classic Wu Xia cinema that there is no way you cannot be entertained while he's fighting. It's like you're watching something from Ip Man or Once Upon A Time in China or any classic Shaw Bros film.

The downside to Feng? While his moves may be powerful and aesthetically pleasing...sometimes they take too long to pull off because of the animation sequences involved. It's pretty much the basis for Bruce Lee's fighting philosophy----why do all this work and motion to throw a punch?

I love Skullomania. How can one not scream his name everytime you land a combo? This said, my friends hated when I played him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back