Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time (ASM #648 and beyond)

nerds.jpg

...said the flash animator guy by posting a meme in a thread about Spider-Man on an online comic book forum

Not to derail everyone trying to out-nerd each other but quick question...I want to get some current Spider-Man trades and should I start at Brand New Day or should I start at Gauntlet and Big Time because I've been debating how good the Brand New Day stuff is and I really want to read Gauntlet because it has new stories of all my favorite villains.

Not to derail everyone trying to out-nerd each other but quick question...I want to get some current Spider-Man trades and should I start at Brand New Day or should I start at Gauntlet and Big Time because I've been debating how good the Brand New Day stuff is and I really want to read Gauntlet because it has new stories of all my favorite villains.

i would skip the early BND stuff for sure. Anything written by Fred VanLente or Joe Kelly is really good. In my opinion the series really picked up with the "American Son" arc and anything since then has been great. (But I'm a big Spidey fan)

for more info about what each trade is about, who wrote it, etc, check out the ASM page on TPBwiki. Scroll down to the end of the section called Volume 2 and check out the trades.

I did most of the work on that page, btw

wow, i guess i really AM a nerd.

It's a skill

i'm jealous of your skilz

I forgot to comment on ASM #653 last week.

I guess the only really noteworthy thing is that I'm pretty interested to see where the conversation between Peter and his boss is going to go!

ASM #654

I don't really buy that Max Modell just thinks that Peter works for Spidey. That's too convenient. But whatever.

I have to say I wasn't expecting
Marla's death
and I wonder if this is going to be a turning point in JJJ's character. (I kind of hope so).

I also wonder if Spidey builds the new armor b/c
he's lost his spider sense.

ASM #654.1 was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. I wonder where this is going to go? He's only allowed 20 missions and he's done two before the series is started, how long is this going to last?

I can stomach the idea of Flash trying to keep venom under control and do good with it, but if this ends up with him becoming bonded to the symbiote and turning into a monster...

ASM #654

I don't really buy that Max Modell just thinks that Peter works for Spidey. That's too convenient. But whatever.

I have to say I wasn't expecting
Marla's death
and I wonder if this is going to be a turning point in JJJ's character. (I kind of hope so).

I also wonder if Spidey builds the new armor b/c
he's lost his spider sense.

Marla's death
was really out of left field. Little too random. JJJ's acceptance of responsibility was interesting though.

So someone told me that amazing spider-man #654.1 was named that way because it would be a good starting point for new readers. 'great!' I thought 'I will give it a try!' And I wasnt dissapointed. I liked the story (I don't know why it is called Amazing Spider-Man though, he isnt in it) so I picked up #655.

Did I do something wrong? Because I think this might have been a good issue if I had ANY prior knowledge about half of these characters. I get that JJJ's wife died, but I don't know how it happened, or why I should care. Did marvel forget that they picked up new readers? Should I have waited on ASM #654.2? Or maybe ASM#655.1? I can't help shake the feeling that I got the reading order wrong, but in the back of 654.1 it just refers to #655 and onwards.

Seriously marvel. You picked up new readers and forgot about them the next issue?

it's true. #655 had a LOT of Spider-Man continuity. Lots and Lots of old characters who are now dead showed up in that dream, some of them (Charlie in particular) were really obscure.

it's true. #655 had a LOT of Spider-Man continuity. Lots and Lots of old characters who are now dead showed up in that dream, some of them (Charlie in particular) were really obscure.

Well, Marvel succeeded in getting me to pay for two issues. And now I'm back to downloading and feeling much less guilty about not supporting them. Good job Marvel!

Well, Marvel succeeded in getting me to pay for two issues. And now I'm back to downloading and feeling much less guilty about not supporting them. Good job Marvel!

it was also a great comic

it was also a great comic

It probably was, if you know what was had happened before. I for one had no idea Peter Parker knew JJJs wife. Or why he couldnt save her. Or how she died. Or how/when JJJ became the mayor of NY.

It might have been a great comic for veteran readers, it was a incredibly stupid follow-up to a comic meant as a starting point for new readers.

Last edited:
the whole .1 gimmic was stupid and poorly planned. I doubt the editors were trying to figure out what to do to follow up ASM #654.1 and decided to use an issue that relied heavily on past continuity. It's more likely that this story had been planned out for a while and Marvel decided to put out an extra, supplemental issue in february and tell readers it's a great jumping on point, regardless of what's happening in the individual stories at the time.

I understand your frustration though.

That said, you should catch up on ASM, it's been really good!

to be fair, the ASM.1 issue was meant to set-up the Venom series so yeah, and having a Venom #0.1 doesn't really make any sense either, so they made it an issue of ASM to get some of ASM's readers to pick up the Venom series when it comes out.

Yeah it's kinda a cheap gimmick, but honestly continuity free issues and jumping on points are so over played, if you don't reward the loyal audience everyonce in awhile you won't be able to sustain an ongoing story.

Latest posts

Back