Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time (ASM #648 and beyond)

Guide to all the dead people from ASM #655
4d7137a8d9bc2.jpg

Re: #656 Massacre Part 2.

Whoa. This is a dark comic all of the sudden.

Great little arc, though.

haha, no not really.

But I got back to find out that my LCS got shorted a few issues of ASM so i have to wait until Wed to read the issue that I missed.

I'm finally caught up. I read ASM #656-657 the other day.

I liked #656 a lot, and wonder where JJJ's new direction will take him...
#657 was a nice tribute to Spidey & Torch's friendship.

I'm also wondering how long Peter's loss of Spider-sense is going to continue and if it will tie into the whole Spider-Island thing.

# 658 Man how many new costumes have been introduced since big time started?
Stealth
New Spidey Armor
Fantastic Four
Future Foundations

they're really milking this.

Overall an interesting issue. I like that they're not ignoring Spidey's gigs with the Avengers and the FF.

and Carlie is getting closer to figuring it all out... dun dun dun (bring back MJ)

OK, I don't read this, and I don't feel comfortable critiquing it for that reason, but I have to ask a question.

It is my understanding, without reading the issue, that Carlie, in an effort to piss of Peter, gets drunk and gets a tattoo of the Green Goblin.

Does the comic actually make this come off as not completely horrible? I've only read summaries and I cannot think of any way it doesn't.

OK, I don't read this, and I don't feel comfortable critiquing it for that reason, but I have to ask a question.

It is my understanding, without reading the issue, that Carlie, in an effort to piss of Peter, gets drunk and gets a tattoo of the Green Goblin.

Does the comic actually make this come off as not completely horrible? I've only read summaries and I cannot think of any way it doesn't.

what do you mean by "not completely horrible"?

She thinks Peter is cheating on her b/c he lies about being away with the FF as Spider-Man and she finds out he's not on a work trip as he told her. So her roller-derby friends take her out on the town and she gets trashed. And it seems like she is going to get a "cult of the goblin" tattoo in her drunken revenge. But it doesn't show it happening, so we'll see what actually happens.

The rest of the issue (ASM #569 by the way) was great. Spidey's interaction with the FF (and Ben in particular) was spectacular.

And
Jackal's back
?????

what do you mean by "not completely horrible"?

She thinks Peter is cheating on her b/c he lies about being away with the FF as Spider-Man and she finds out he's not on a work trip as he told her. So her roller-derby friends take her out on the town and she gets trashed. And it seems like she is going to get a "cult of the goblin" tattoo in her drunken revenge. But it doesn't show it happening, so we'll see what actually happens.

The rest of the issue (ASM #569 by the way) was great. Spidey's interaction with the FF (and Ben in particular) was spectacular.

And
Jackal's back
?????

The reason I say "completely horrible" is because (and again, I do not read this and don't feel particularly comfortable attacking it because of that, though I feel like I need to) from what I gather, the Green Goblin's crimes are public knowledge, Carlie was close friends with Gwen and Harry and would know the Goblin killed the former and ruined the life of the latter. So it strikes me as insanely petty, even if you are drunk and trying to get at Peter.

Anyway the reason I asked is because I heard it from people who absolutely hate Carlie and wanted to hear a non-biased opinion. So I'll reserve judgement. For now anyway. Then again, I'm insisting on judging things I've no intention to read because of the OMD debacle, so that's par for the course.

Last edited:
well, i'm squarely in the "OMD was a terrible idea, bring back MJ, and I don't care at all about Peter and Carlie's relationship" camp, so my opinion probably isn't non-biased.

That being said, the way i read it was that Carlie was pretty staggeringly drunk and clearly not thinking straight. I'm pretty sure she won't remember it the next day, and she definitely will regret it. (Again, assuming she actually gets the tattoo. They don't show it happening).

On top of that, I'm not sure that everyone knows everything that Norman did as the Green Goblin. It's public knowledge that he was the Goblin, but not until recently when he was arrested for the first time in the first few issues of The Pulse (well, second - but the first time he was released by the Scriers and they killed anyone who had seen that Norman was under the mask). Before that everything was covered up. Plus there have been several Green Goblins (as well has Hob Goblins, Grey Goblins, DemoGoblins, Protogoblins, and so on) so I'm sure the general public in the Marvel universe doesn't know everything that he's done. I don't remember reading that Carlie knew Gwen (but I could be wrong about that) and I'm pretty sure Peter and Carlie haven't talked about Gwen on-panel, maybe they have off-panel, but who knows. And she probably wouldn't know about it without him telling her. Gwen's death was a big deal to the readers, but if you lived in a city full of superheroes that was attacked by Skrulls, Galactus, Ultron, Kang, Magneto, etc every other weekend you probably wouldn't remember a girl that was thrown off a bridge by a villain several years ago, and you certainly wouldn't know who her boyfriend was at the time.

That said, she did say that she was doing it b/c she knew Peter hated Norman Osborn. And she does know Harry, but (if I remember correctly) only through Peter and Lilly Hollister (both of whom she regards as terrible people at this point).

So, in my opinion, it didn't come off as completely horrible, but it did come off as not being important or very worrisome. And that's saying something considering that as far as I'm concerned, the relationship stuff between Peter and Gwen/MJ was the heart of the book during 70s and 80s, as well as a lot of JMS' run.

Last edited:
# 660 was a pretty anti-climactic ending to the arc. Everything built up to nothing, which is disappointing b/c the last issue was great! The temporal anomalies and zombie pirates and sinister six were all a diversion for Doc Ock's real plan. Carlie got a Spidey tattoo instead of the Goblin one (She wasn't that drunk, apparently), and Peter managed to get her to trust him without telling her anything. The backup Jackal story was the most interesting part of the issue.

and FCBD was pretty good. I like the idea of Spidey having to learn to fight and becoming a warrior instead of just a spaz that relies on his spider-sense. I think it's a pretty cool concept.

Last edited:
I liked ASM #661, I liked that they addressed the fact that Peter used to be a teacher, and why he doesn't any more. I thought this was going to be another issue where Spidey gets no respect, especially after the classroom scene, but when Psycho Man showed up, I understood what was going on.

ASM #662 was decent. I liked the idea of Spidey, the original teen super hero working with the Avengers Academy.

I thought it was funny that "with great power comes great responsibility" has become a cliche that all super heroes throw around and no one knows that Spidey said it first. The ending was also pretty funny and the backup story about Peter helping the magnetic man (or whoever that was) get his life back together after getting out of jail was nice. That's the kind of thing Peter Parker would do.

ASM #663 apparently Jean DeWolff is back from the dead? and Anti-Venom is back in town. It's hinted pretty strongly that
Yuri Wantanabe
is masquerading as Wraith/DeWolff. I hope it's something like that. It would be pretty dumb if she was actually back somehow.

It was kind of a meh issue over all. The only positive thing is that we may finally get to see some sort of resolution to Aunt May knowing that Martin Li is Mr Negative.

ASM #664 - Mr Negative
is outed as Martin Li
, Anti-Venom
vindicates himself in Spidey's eyes
Yuri Wantanabe is in fact masquerading as
the Wraith/DeWolff (Carly and Spidey know), Peter
still doesn't tell Carly that he's Spider-Man

Not bad, not great.

yeah, this arc was about Carly, Anti-Venom, and someone posing as the ghost of Jean DeWolff. And I just don't care about any of that.

Last edited:
Issue #665 was great. The best issue in a while.

One thing i noticed in this issue: on the letters' page, at the end, Wacker (the editor) commented that there was some big changes coming for Spidey and that "NOthing is forEVEr" with him... NO EVE? (or possibly "thing is for r"). I'm guessing/hoping that Carly is going to die or leave him. But then there was a back up story about May and Jay Jameson Sr moving to Boston, so i wonder if that has something to do with it. I don't know. As long as MJ doesn't die.

ASM #666 was fine, it was a prelude and I'm interested in what's coming next. It seems that the Jackel has mutated Kaine/Taranchula even more and made him like a pet. And I'm wondering if the other one is
Ben Reilly

Oh, and they're going to kill MJ...

last letters column Wacker said there are some big changes coming for Spidey and that "NOthing is forEVEr" with him... NO EVE

this issue in the letters column some girl wrote a letter about how she wanted to be Spider-Man's sidekick and kill Mary Jane so she could be with Peter, and Wacker responded with something along the lines of: "as to your ideas about MJ, you've been reading ahead, haven't you?"

I really hope they don't kill her. I really really hope they don't.

Latest posts

Back