The Avengers discussion (spoilers!)

How would you rate The Avengers?

• Total voters
Captain Canuck said:
You know what I want to see? A Black Widow/Hawkeye prequel telling the story of Clint being sent to kill Natasha

That'd would be something cool as an extra for the DVD/Blu-Ray features.

Ice said:
That'd would be something cool as an extra for the DVD/Blu-Ray features.

It would be even cooler as a whole movie.

They never really explain why the Hulk acts so much more heroically toward the end of the movie than he does toward the beginning. They seem to imply that it is because Banner begins to embrace the Hulk, but they didn't make this clear enough. I know some of the people I saw the movie with were wondering about this too.

The answer is easy.
Loki was controlling him earlier on. That's why hulk who in the incredible hulk they showed only attacked those who were hurting others or those who were been evil to him, attacked people who had nothing to him. At least that's what i gathered by Loki's grin and them saying he wanted to get captured to get closer to hulk.

I guess that kind of makes sense.
If that's what they were going for they don't make it clear at all though. I know Loki tries to 'wind him up' while he's in that cell, by suggesting that it was built for the Hulk, but I never got the impression he was actually controlling him. I guess Loki simply creating animosity between Banner and the rest of the group could explain him turning on them when he become the Hulk.

I was definitely wondering about it as well. But I guess in the Incredible Hulk, Banner is able to "aim" Hulk at A-bomb in Harlem instead of just going crazy on everything and everyone. And then right at the end they imply that he's learning how to control it when he's meditating and then smiles as he starts to transform (at least that was my interpretation).

As far as why he
goes crazy on the Helicarier
, I was thinking that maybe
Loki's spear
caused that.
When they all started arguing and then there was a close up of the spear glowing and buzzing I got a real one ring at the counsel of Elrond vibe. And then When Banner starts to get mad he picks up the spear without even realizing he's done it. And Black Widow gets it out of Loki that his plan is to make Banner transform into the Hulk.
So, I agree that it wasn't really super clear, but I think there were some clues

Last edited:
Now that others have seen it, here are my minor problems with the film:

- Hawkeye being possessed for half of the film was good for the story but bad for the character. He got less of a chance to interact with the rest of the characters and kind of felt left out as a result.
- The Chitauri being turned into generic alien soldiers instead of shape-shifting infiltrators. I'm guessing this has something to do with how Marvel don't own the rights to the Skrulls but it was pretty disappointing anyway.
- The aforementioned Hulk being heroic during the final battle. I understand that it was implied that Banner had accepted the Hulk and learned to control him but I wish it was just a bit clearer.

I think that's it. I loved the rest. Joss Whedon achieved the impossible and I can't wait to see it again.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Nick Fury/Hawkeye/Black Widow/SHIELD film.

Last edited:
Yay! I have finally seen it! All the months of running from previews and hiding info on it paid off! I had not seen any trailers, footage, or behind the scenes and it was worth it! Glad to see all the correlation with the Ultimate universe, which makes sense, since they use the Sam version of Fury. I'm sad about the fate of the Son of Coul, but I know he's grateful, seeing as how he didn't think he'd be involved this long to begin with. I need to see this film several more times in the theatre.

Sure, but something like that would fit better as a 10-15 minute feature than a full length one.

I respectfully disagree. They could make a whole movie about Black Widow's exploits and Hawkeye hunting her down.

That doesn't have to be the main focus of the movie, since there would be no real suspense. That could just be a plot point along the way.

I just want a movie with Hawkeye and Widow. And I think a prequel that just is a crazy super spy movie and has no super powers involved would be pretty cool.

How about a sequel AND a prequel? Flashbacks!

Hawkeye and Black Widow going after the Russians who created/trained her (a modern version of HYDRA?) with flashbacks to when they first met. You could even introduce the second Black Widow, Yelena Belova. It could be the best romantic espionage comedy of all time.

Captain Canuck said:
I respectfully disagree. They could make a whole movie about Black Widow's exploits and Hawkeye hunting her down.

That doesn't have to be the main focus of the movie, since there would be no real suspense. That could just be a plot point along the way.

I just want a movie with Hawkeye and Widow. And I think a prequel that just is a crazy super spy movie and has no super powers involved would be pretty cool.

See, that's a different story (no pun intended) if it's not the main focus. :wink:

Last edited:
So this was ****ing great!

not exactly a deep movie, but sheer unfiltered fun processed into a 2 hour 45 min run-time

I was practically giggling when the helicarrier took off

Thanos! yessss, also blue infinity gem = Loki's scepter? right?

poor phil :(

5/5

Gemini said:
So this was ****ing great!

not exactly a deep movie, but sheer unfiltered fun processed into a 2 hour 45 min run-time

I was practically giggling when the helicarrier took off

Thanos! yessss, also blue infinity gem = Loki's scepter? right?

poor phil :(

5/5

Agreed. =D
Agreed. =)
Agreed. =D
Agreed. =D
Agreed. ='(

Last edited:
Special Canadian Extended Edition

23 Minute Scene of War Machine Facing off with the Chitauri Armada on the other side of the Portal

Was EPIC

:shifty:

Whedon also directed Cabin in the Woods, Fenway

I think he wrote it, but didn't direct it.

The Nolan vs Whedon discusion is a strange one - they're aiming for different products.
So instead, I'll just take it for what it was - Avengers was the most entertaining (by FAR) superhero movie I've seen. Ever.

IMO, Spider-man 2 (with the mask removal) may have been more 'pivotal' (for straying from canon), Dark Knight may have been a better 'classic' movie, with commentary on society, Iron Man may have been a more 'important' movie, for jumpstarting this stable of shows, but Avengers was the most FUN, enjoyable superhero movie I've seen - and the first movie in about 15-20 years that I plan on paying full admission to see again (that's got to be worth something)

Love it:

Deadline.com said:
“Note to Hollywood: This is what happens when you let comic fans do comic book movies. Joss Whedon knocked it out of the park. The right mix of humor without camp, special effects without overusage, and action with good script. Having actors who like and/or know the characters doesn’t hurt either. Props to the casting folks.”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back