The DVD purchase thread

I thought you didn't like it.:?

What I meant was, I couldn't see how anyone would place it in a Top 100 or Top 250 list. It's a fine flick, but it's not what everyone is trying to make it out to be. There are people at school who say it's their favorite movie and every time I meet someone who says that, I die a little inside. I honestly can't see how Superbad is better than Knocked Up when half of the entire film (the whole cops/McLovin subplot) was just a major drag. I don't think I laughed once during those parts. But I'm ready to view it again and hope that I like it better -- I love Apatow and Co. too much to keep giving it all these negative comments. Right now I have Superbad being a too-kind B+ (sort of like my Spider-Man 3 grade), but if I fail to connect with it again on my second viewing, I'll knock it down to a B.

commentary - So? nearly EVERY dvd has that , it's not a special feature IMO as I can't think right now of more than 3 dvds with out it.

No Quentin Tarantino movies have commentary. Which always pisses me off. It's like he's got something against it. I love commentary, though. I liked the visual commentary from the special 3-Disc Deluxe Edition of Hellboy also.

I just bought Rescue Dawn today. I've already seen it. But I'll watch anything with Christian Bale. The man never ceases to entertain. I was contemplating getting the Collector's Edition of Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Last edited:
No Quentin Tarantino movies have commentary. Which always pisses me off. It's like he's got something against it. I love commentary, though. I liked the visual commentary from the special 3-Disc Deluxe Edition of Hellboy also.

Tarantino has a commentary on the True Romance DVD set. He was the writer of the film only, which may be why he did the commentary.
It's fantastic commentary for a fantastic film.

This last month I have bought:
  • Spider-Man 3 2-disc special edition
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End limited edition
  • John Carpenter's The Thing
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse Deluxe Edition
  • Transformers (SCE) 2-disc
and I have
  • Tango & Cash
waiting to be shipped

I also am considering buying
  • Die Hard Quadrilogy (8 disc)

Yes! Just watched the film disc.

I found something kinda cool on it for anyone who has the transformers dvd. During credits near the end of them I went to press "menu" but accidentally pressed "next chapter" button.

It brought me to a menu not under special features on the disc it had transformers teaser trailer and the Iron Man trailer. I've seen the Iron Man trailer on things like youtube and downloaded it in quicktime but holy ****. It looks so much cooler on big screen tv in dvd quality I was like :shock: must see that!

Yes! Just watched the film disc.

I found something kinda cool on it for anyone who has the transformers dvd. During credits near the end of them I went to press "menu" but accidentally pressed "next chapter" button.

It brought me to a menu not under special features on the disc it had transformers teaser trailer and the Iron Man trailer. I've seen the Iron Man trailer on things like youtube and downloaded it in quicktime but holy ****. It looks so much cooler on big screen tv in dvd quality I was like :shock: must see that!

Cool, I will try that.

Yesterday I bought another copy of Pulp Fiction. My original copy was a DVD but my mom borrowed it and....well, basically everything she touches breaks, so the disc is covered in scratches. So I decided to just get a UMD version, because I thought it'd be a cool movie to watch on my PSP. There aren't any special features on the UMD version though (some UMDs have special features).

Also, I decided to buy True Romance and the Special Collector's Edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula with commentary by Francis Ford Coppola. I prefer Coppola's Dracula to his Godfather movies. Because I could never stand the Godfather movies. They're boring as hell.

*Resists the urge to get in to this AGAIN*

Well, he's got a point about III.

I and II, though? I'm going to guess he thought the plot was too hard to follow. Lord knows II's plot was really complicated.

E said:
Good God, it's like American Pie all over again.

It's probably because they can relate to it.

But, I do have a soft spot for High School/College comedies. Superbad and the American Pie series are pretty funny.

Last edited:
Yesterday I bought another copy of Pulp Fiction. My original copy was a DVD but my mom borrowed it and....well, basically everything she touches breaks, so the disc is covered in scratches.

I bought Pulp Fiction on tape 3 times before I finally got the DVD because the VCR kept eating it. I also bought the special edition so I even have 2 of it on DVD.

Latest posts

Back