The Future of Star Wars

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Yeah, I remember her dying in Episode III. When she's on the ET planet and all of the Clone Troopers shoot her in the back and then continue shooting her on the ground.

Oh i know, but it's Lucas' sandbox.

woot, 1337 posts!!

Last edited:
That would be like saying things like, the Ultimate line is unnecessary. It's his property, he can chop it up and show it in serial format if he chooses. He has a particular vision, and when he made the original trilogy, the technology and creativity wasn't there.

I guess it's kinda a sore thumb for me, since I've been recently given grief for changing my art and storytelling styles. To be frank, I am do this for me, just as George has done all of his work for himself, and if people like it, so much the better. But, it's not required.
I agree with this.

Changing your art and storytelling style is completely different, unless you mean you go back and make newly updated re-releases of your work. But even then, you're perfectly entitled to that. Every creator is perfectly entitled to reinvent, remake and re-edit his works however he or she sees fit.

However, the fact that George Lucas feels the need to do this over and over strikes me as being indicative of larger psychological problems. It's like he won't get over the franchise AT ALL. Keep in mind that he has been tweaking these movies for over two decades now.

I think this whole "going back to fix things" fetish of his becomes a larger source of upset simply because there's this consumer mentality of 'keeping up' that has become bigger and bigger in the age of collector's item director's cut extended edition video releases.

Surely, no one's going to mind if I decide to rewrite articles constantly in the privacy of my hard drive. And surely, no one makes a big deal if a book gets five 'revised' editions published in the span of twenty years.

But film fan culture --- especially for fans who subscribe to the 'auteur theory' of film --- is built entirely around wanting to own the 'best' version or the 'definitive' version of the films. It's a commodity fetish that will never be fulfilled so long as Lucas chooses to keep redoing these films.

I don't think you can compare it to other forms of perfectionism or artistic prerogative. So long as his tweaks are put out in commercial video release then the line between personal satisfaction and commercial ethic remains fuzzy, and that makes tinkering with them a far cry from modifying your car engine for personal satisfaction.

It's also not the same as 'reinventing your personal style'. That would imply that he's trying to retell the story. It's not the same as a 'revised edition' of a book that incorporates footnotes to explain antiquated cultural references, or add new discoveries related to the book's topic.

What he's doing is very simple.

He basically said, "I was never happy with those movies. So I'm gonna fix it to make myself happier, and then you can all buy it and I can share the new more satisfying version with you all. And we'll all be happy?"

And then he said, "From now on, you will never be able to see the original version again. Last chance to buy it. We'll all be satisfied with the new version anyway, so what's the point of keeping that around?"

And then he said, "Hey you know what? Still not totally satisfied."

I don't care how much he changes the films, so long as the original versions are always available.

Also - the auteur theory is bollocks. The idea that the direcotr must write the film all but destroyed European cinema. WAYNE'S WORLD is more avant-garde than what Europe puts out.

As for Shaak Ti, I've been told a particularly cool plot point about her that I think is meant to be revealed in the live-action series. (Though it may have already been revealed by now, I dunno.)

I don't care how much he changes the films, so long as the original versions are always available.
I don't fault that.

Again, as I've said the 'problem' of Lucas' tinkerings doesn't bother me on any level other than saying what kind of a sad sad sad man he is.

Bass said:
Also - the auteur theory is bollocks. The idea that the direcotr must write the film all but destroyed European cinema. WAYNE'S WORLD is more avant-garde than what Europe puts out.
I was talking about the analysis and reception, not the practice and how it relates to fan culture. Basically that fans believe that they need to see the movie the way the director intended.

Right, so, at the beginning of every movie, it says "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...."

Has the galaxy of Star Wars ever been named, perhaps in expanded universe media?

Right, so, at the beginning of every movie, it says "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...."

Has the galaxy of Star Wars ever been named, perhaps in expanded universe media?

It should be left unnamed, there's this great storytelling atmosphere created by that one line

Nope. It's always just "The Galaxy" or GFFA, for Galaxy Far, Far Away.

I agree with this.

Changing your art and storytelling style is completely different, unless you mean you go back and make newly updated re-releases of your work. But even then, you're perfectly entitled to that. Every creator is perfectly entitled to reinvent, remake and re-edit his works however he or she sees fit.

However, the fact that George Lucas feels the need to do this over and over strikes me as being indicative of larger psychological problems. It's like he won't get over the franchise AT ALL. Keep in mind that he has been tweaking these movies for over two decades now.

I think this whole "going back to fix things" fetish of his becomes a larger source of upset simply because there's this consumer mentality of 'keeping up' that has become bigger and bigger in the age of collector's item director's cut extended edition video releases.

Surely, no one's going to mind if I decide to rewrite articles constantly in the privacy of my hard drive. And surely, no one makes a big deal if a book gets five 'revised' editions published in the span of twenty years.

But film fan culture --- especially for fans who subscribe to the 'auteur theory' of film --- is built entirely around wanting to own the 'best' version or the 'definitive' version of the films. It's a commodity fetish that will never be fulfilled so long as Lucas chooses to keep redoing these films.

I don't think you can compare it to other forms of perfectionism or artistic prerogative. So long as his tweaks are put out in commercial video release then the line between personal satisfaction and commercial ethic remains fuzzy, and that makes tinkering with them a far cry from modifying your car engine for personal satisfaction.

It's also not the same as 'reinventing your personal style'. That would imply that he's trying to retell the story. It's not the same as a 'revised edition' of a book that incorporates footnotes to explain antiquated cultural references, or add new discoveries related to the book's topic.

What he's doing is very simple.

He basically said, "I was never happy with those movies. So I'm gonna fix it to make myself happier, and then you can all buy it and I can share the new more satisfying version with you all. And we'll all be happy?"

And then he said, "From now on, you will never be able to see the original version again. Last chance to buy it. We'll all be satisfied with the new version anyway, so what's the point of keeping that around?"

And then he said, "Hey you know what? Still not totally satisfied."

Honestly, the more i see of him (Lucas), the more it seems like he has OCD.

Honestly, the more i see of him (Lucas), the more it seems like he has OCD.
That's pretty much what I think too.

It IS his prerogative to 'perfect' those movies whenever he wants and how many times he wants to, regardless of whether or not he has OCD.

Unfortunately, he DOES have OCD, so there you go.

What can I say, the psychologically handicapped have the same rights as everyone else.

Unfortunately.

The all about star wars thread is closed, no idea why I'll post here

Latest posts

Back