Re: Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus

Sounds kind of cool, but if it is split up into volumes doesn't that kind of make it not an omnibus?

I doubt I'd pick this up.

It doesn't seem as impressive as the other Omnibus' out right now.

Neato.

I've wanted to read the actual early issues and not online summaries/remakes like Marvel Age for a while. Maybe I'll for once venture out of my tpb world and actually get a harcover?

Holy crap, it's $63. Never mind then.

And yes, I know the Essential books are out there and cheap, but I'd much prefer color pages.

Buying hardcover comics is irresponsible, inhumane and I think it causes cancer.

Except for Absolute Watchmen. Oh how I love Absolute Watchmen...

I love the Essentials. I buy every one that comes out (except the Handbooks. Twenty-year-out-of-date info? No thanks). They're a great way to get tons of tons of comics cheap and in a lot of instances (Gene Colan!) the art looks a lot better in black and white than in color. Plus, I lug them around in my backpack to work and don't really mind if they get beat up.

I am interested in the Omnibuses too, but they seem like they'd be very hard to read. I'd rather just get the Masterworks, but the Omnibus collections are cheaper than the number of Masterworks it would take to get the same number of issues. I don't know, I'd just as soon have everything traded.

Last edited:
Anyone trying to get all these?

I missed out on the Uncanny X-Men and Fantastic Four books, but I have several others on preorder. I have...

- Alias
- New X-Men
- Eternals

I should be getting the Frank Miller Daredevil book within the next week or so, depending on when Amazon ships it.

I'd love to see a Bendis/Maleev Daredevil Omnibus. A Spider-Man Clone Saga Omnibus would be kind of cool too.

Ideas for any others?

I'd like every series to be collected in chronological order, so the creator-specific stuff, like Miller's Daredevil doesn't really do it for me. Besides, the trades of that already.

New X-Men oddly, I wouldn't mind, since it doesn't skip any issues and I have the third Hardcover and the rest in trades and somewhere along the way the Bishop/Sage CSI issues weren't collected somehow.

Otherwise, I'd love FF and Spider-Man and Alias and everything, but ultimately I'd settle for the trades or Masterworks (or Essentials!). Plus, aside from the expensive initial investment, they seem like they'd be difficult to actually read. They're enormous.

Oh, and I want Eternals too.

I'd like every series to be collected in chronological order, so the creator-specific stuff, like Miller's Daredevil doesn't really do it for me. Besides, the trades of that already.

New X-Men oddly, I wouldn't mind, since it doesn't skip any issues and I have the third Hardcover and the rest in trades and somewhere along the way the Bishop/Sage CSI issues weren't collected somehow.

Otherwise, I'd love FF and Spider-Man and Alias and everything, but ultimately I'd settle for the trades or Masterworks (or Essentials!). Plus, aside from the expensive initial investment, they seem like they'd be difficult to actually read. They're enormous.

Oh, and I want Eternals too.

Chronological collection would be great, and I think that some of the newer Omnibus collections are attempting to do just that. We'll see though.

They aren't difficult to read. Granted it's not like a TPB you can stick in a bag or something, but they make up for that with the extras.

The Masterworks were OK but too expensive for what they contained. I have a hardcover Fantastic Four that collects the first 10 issues and has a cover price of $50!

The Essentials...are an abomination unto the Lord. People should be jailed for buying them.

I love Essentials and will some day own them all (I missed out on last year's offerings and am playing catch up).

But yes, Masterworks are too expensive and the only ones I have are the ones that won't likely get Essentialed anytime soon. Although they tricked me and came out with Classic X-Men 2 years after the first, so I have those Masterworks too.

But when I really get down to high quality reprints, Omnibus will be where it's at.

I might get the New X-Men Omnibus, only because it will be a pain to get each of the trades individually and the hardcovers were way too expensive when I came across them.

An Ultimates Omnibus, collecting all of Millar/Hitch's Ultimates would be pretty.

I love Essentials and will some day own them all (I missed out on last year's offerings and am playing catch up).

Why? Doesn't it bother you that they've removed the color? As important as the use of color is in comics, I can't believe this is acceptable to people.

There's the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus.

Yep - it's not out though. I have it on preorder.

I might get the New X-Men Omnibus, only because it will be a pain to get each of the trades individually and the hardcovers were way too expensive when I came across them.

An Ultimates Omnibus, collecting all of Millar/Hitch's Ultimates would be pretty.

Good one.

Don't wait too long on the New X-Men Omnibus. The Alias Omnibus is already out of print and going for over $200.

If the Alias Omnibus doesn't go into reprint Marvel is commiting a great crime against Humanity...

Once Mr. Crazypants himself, Todd McFarlane, pulls the stick out of his ***, I would love a Miracleman Omnibus.

(and i don't care that it's supposed to be Marvelman, Miracleman sounds a lot better)

I forgot when the AMZ. Spider-Man one comes out. When does it exactly?

I thought it was already on shelves.

Amazon says they'll have it 5/9, so it will hit comic store shelves a couple weeks before that, probably. Not sure exactly.

Man, it's loaded, too: "Collects Amazing Fantasy #15, Amazing Spider-Man #1-38 and Annual #1-2 - plus the Spider-Man stories from Fantastic Four Annual #1 & Strange Tales Annual #2, and the covers to Marvel Tales #3-28 & Annual #1-2."

Wow.

Why? Doesn't it bother you that they've removed the color? As important as the use of color is in comics, I can't believe this is acceptable to people.

It doesn't bother me at all, except that some of the earlier Essentials have really shoddy gray tone work that they thankfully dropped soon after. and the reprint quality isn't very clear but, again, they cleared that up as well.

In some instances, everything Gene Colan did for one, the art looks even better in black and white.

And since it's Marvel's only real chronological reprint line I can afford I'd rather get them than the trades of various random issues and storylines.

Yeah, I'd rather get color trades for fifteen bucks each, no doubt, but they don't exist yet, except for Classics, which I do buy. But they don't overlap titles, unfortunately. If they paperbacked Masterworks I'd so be there.

Last edited:
If the Alias Omnibus doesn't go into reprint Marvel is commiting a great crime against Humanity...

Once Mr. Crazypants himself, Todd McFarlane, pulls the stick out of his ***, I would love a Miracleman Omnibus.

(and i don't care that it's supposed to be Marvelman, Miracleman sounds a lot better)

Hopefully it won't have to come to McFarlane doing anything, because he shouldn't have anything to do with it.

If they paperbacked Masterworks I'd so be there.

They did. Not sure if it was all of them, but they did many of them. I have some Avengers, Spider-Man, and Hulk Masterworks TPBs. I *think* they were printed specifically for Barnes & Noble.

Latest posts

Back