I've really not tried these collections yet, the closest thing I have is the Ultimate Spider-Man Collection from B and Ns. And the volume's size does seem a little too unruly to me.

While I understand your displeasure with essentials, E, you can't doubt the vast amount of info per volume for any eager Marvel or DC fans. I, too, find myself displeased with the lack of color but Marvel and DC have both been pretty awful about finding a suitable halfway point for people who want color 60's comics and don't have money trees.

I've really not tried these collections yet, the closest thing I have is the Ultimate Spider-Man Collection from B and Ns. And the volume's size does seem a little too unruly to me.

While I understand your displeasure with essentials, E, you can't doubt the vast amount of info per volume for any eager Marvel or DC fans. I, too, find myself displeased with the lack of color but Marvel and DC have both been pretty awful about finding a suitable halfway point for people who want color 60's comics and don't have money trees.

I don't know why but I really like the Showcases and I don't like the Essentials. I don't know if its the paper or something with they ink but the Showcases just seem cleaner to read.

It's an artistic thing to me - comics are an art form and there is definite history in those old comics. The bright and vibrant colors are part of that. I just see those books and they are so ugly...I cannot see the appeal at all.

I don't know why but I really like the Showcases and I don't like the Essentials. I don't know if its the paper or something with they ink but the Showcases just seem cleaner to read.

I agree, the look, the feel, and design of the showcases are so much better than the essentials. Essentials don't even have page numbers!

It's an artistic thing to me - comics are an art form and there is definite history in those old comics. The bright and vibrant colors are part of that. I just see those books and they are so ugly...I cannot see the appeal at all.

You have no idea how much I understand, the removal of color is something that makes some of these older comics absolutly abysmal. Jack Kirby without color just removes all the energy that his pages have. But the appeal is solely that of quanity over quality. Though people like Gene Colan and Bill sinkawitzasomething look wonderful in b and w.

Last edited:
W00T! Got my Daredevil Omnibus today. I hope I can get into it soon...

Could somebody review the DD omnibus? I need to decide whether or not to pick it up this summer.

Could somebody review the DD omnibus? I need to decide whether or not to pick it up this summer.

To quote TOG:

"It's heavy."

I'd be happy to post some about it once I am able to look at it a little closer. I flipped through it and one thing I can say is that it looks great, as in the colors and how they "pop".

I just got mine Tuesday (Damn DHL and its deceptive shipping tracking...). I'm only about 5 issues in, but so far its a high quality product with some damn good content. And Miller isn't even writing it yet.

I got the Ultimate Spider-Man collection (#1-the Venom arc) for Christmas last year and I got New X-Men Omnibus for my birthday this year. They're both worth it. What I would really like is an Absolute 52 collection from DC.

My Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 Omnibus arrived today...

Very impressive. I think there are 42 or 43 total issues, including Amazing Fantasy #15 and the first 38 issues of Amazing.

Looks like there are quite a few extras too - some bonus art, a couple of essays.

The packaging is really nice. Colors are very vibrant.

Definitely a nice addition to my bookshelf.

They're only doing it to milk some more money out of his death. Bull****.

Does anyone know anything about the preparation process for these books?

I don't imagine that Marvel still has the original art pages, and if they do they can't still be of the same quality as when they were first created. I wonder if they are just getting the best quality comics they can or if they have some sort of masters that they are working with, and are just doing something as simple as scanning the pages and doing extensive color correction in Photoshop or something. The colors are very vibrant and maybe it's just me, but quality-wise they look better than other reprints I've seen.

Anyone know anything about this?

I got my Brubaker Captain America Omnibus and Amazing Fantasy Omnibus today. I bought the first 3 or 4 issues of Brubaker's Cap as well as the first trae and couldn't get into it, but having read the more recent issues I think it will be easier to get into knowing what he's working toward.

The Amazing Fantasy Omnibus is interesting from a historical perspective but like most comics from that era is almost unreadable by today's standards. But its cool to browse through.

I wish I could find the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus at a reasonable price. I think I have most of the rest of them.

Latest posts

Back