E said:
No - it's not. I agree completely. I hope they take every opportunity to tighten things up. I also hope Marvel does the same with the relaunched Ultimate line.

I guess if they try to tighten things up too much they run into people griping that titles are crossing over too much but I think if they can reference things going on in other books while not making them required reading (Marvel has been particularly terrible at this) it will increase readership for other series.

Using books you sell to sell other books - what a concept.

And welcome, James.

Thanks for the welcome, and i totally agree on the funny paradigm - Using books you sell to sell other books - Why do we need Batgirl, Batwoman, Batwing and Robin? Does Deadpool justify having three or four ongoing series? Well, as long as it sells :)

Does anyone know if any of these will be going to trade? I figure it's a safe bet for some of them (Justice League, Action Comics) but surely not all of them.

this probably isn't what you're looking for but...

This September, DC Entertainment is making history by launching 52 #1 DC Comics issues starring the World's Greatest Super-Heroes. To commemorate this milestone occasion, DC Entertainment will be releasing DC COMICS: THE NEW 52, a massive hardcover collection that collects every single one of these debut issues. Hitting stores just in time for the holiday season, this 1,216-page compilation will include such issues as:
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee
ACTION COMICS #1 by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales
BATMAN #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
GREEN LANTERN #1 by Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke
SWAMP THING #1 by Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette
STORMWATCH #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda
TEEN TITANS #1 by Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth
And 45 more!

Thanks for the welcome, and i totally agree on the funny paradigm - Using books you sell to sell other books - Why do we need Batgirl, Batwoman, Batwing and Robin? Does Deadpool justify having three or four ongoing series? Well, as long as it sells :)

Honestly, if the ongoing is as fractionally as good as the Detective run, Batwoman is a stronger story than Batman.

Bass, who took your joy man?

So I picked up JLI on friday. I quite enjoyed it. Yes, Jurgans could do more to differentiate the characters, but it seems obvious to me that this if first a Booster Gold book to him and a Justice League book second. And i'm ok with that. I had fun reading it, enough to justify my $2.75, and that's what i'm looking for in my weekly pulls. Fun. I'm going to keep up with it.

thee great one said:
I like that this has us discussing comics again. When did that last happen?

All the time. It just that everybody is talking about the SAME comics.

Friday said:
Bass, who took your joy man?

So I picked up JLI on friday. I quite enjoyed it. Yes, Jurgans could do more to differentiate the characters, but it seems obvious to me that this if first a Booster Gold book to him and a Justice League book second. And i'm ok with that. I had fun reading it, enough to justify my $2.75, and that's what i'm looking for in my weekly pulls. Fun. I'm going to keep up with it.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hitting stores just in time for the holiday season

THIS holiday season?!?! Wow, is DC finally getting their trade collection department shipped into shape?

I really have to say something no one will be surprised by; Batwoman is my favorite book out there.

I also enjoyed Grifter, it was a fun and smart read.

I agree with DSF, Frankenstein was good, but I was hoping for great too.

Going to read Demon Knights later.

As easy as it seems like Batwoman was a sure bet, I was definitely nervous about Williams taking on the writing duties himself, but he seems to have an excellent handle on the story.

I'm wondering if Rucka left like a series bible with Williams.

Resurrection man is a continuation of the 90's series it seems. Nothing really new to it, still the gruesome deaths and all.

Nothing else so far has caught my eye.

Resurrection man is a continuation of the 90's series it seems. Nothing really new to it, still the gruesome deaths and all.

Nothing else so far has caught my eye.

My LCS has really annoyed me on Resurrection Man. They've got a full run in the back room somewhere that i wanted to buy before the new series launched and they just never found it for me. I went there several times, cash in hand and always got "I haven't had time yet".

I bought too many comics this week.

I got

Legion Lost - I'm calling bull**** on the character deaths in this book.
Gates was one of if not the most popular character out of the Archie Legion and Yera is a vintage character and Gim's wife. No way they were killed off screen, in the past, with no bodies.
I think that the book would have been more effective had we had an established villian for the book instead this new guy. I didn't know he wasn't supposed to transform until the end of the book.

Green Lantern - I like unwilling Green Lantern Sinestro, and I like completely unprepared for life Hal Jordan.

Grifter - I'm reserving Judgement on this one for the moment. I think I need to reread it. It did have our plague of week one, the mid-story opener, and it didn't do this any favors. Still, I've been a big fan of the character for quite a while so I'm really hoping for a successful integration into the DCU.

Death Stroke - So someone hired Deathstroke to kill an arms dealer in order to get a suitcase to him? I'm intrigued. The idea that Deathstroke might be seen as in decline seems a bit odd to me, but then we don't know where his major moments fall on the new DC timeline. His new costume kinda works for me, but like a lot of the new ones its too busy. I fully expect this to crossover with Superboy/Teen Titans at some point.

Resurection Man - Heaven and Hell want Mitch Shellys soul, but he can't die? Thats like the greatest pitch ever. And DNA did their normal job of writing it, by which I mean it was great.

Superboy - Surprisingly good. It really got its value out of its page count. I guess I need to get Teen Titans now too.

Red Lanterns - Well, here we are. The first book from the relaunch that I don't see myself even getting issue 2. When it was announced before the DCNu was I wondered why, and now that I've got it I'm still wondering why. It seems pointless to me.

Batman and Robin - I haven't gotten a Batman book since the Morrison-Kubert arc. This was perfectly competent, but with the number of titles jockeying for my dollars I don't see myself keeping up with this. Having said that, my main thought coming out of this is how long will the idea of Crime Alley being demolished be enforced by Editorial. My guess is about 6 months.

Having said all that the best comic of the week was still Criminal #4.

Last edited:
Week two of the DC "Reboot-Relaunch" and as we have already seen 50% of what the new DC line has to offer, already it is possible to tell the comics gems from the same ol-same ol…

Of course, don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, don't judge a series by its No. 1, but we are doing the same job executives at the big networks have to do when they receive a pilot for a new TV series…if you don't sell me on your first episode, this is not going to work. Bottom line.

This week I feel was a little weaker than last week (Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Action Comics, Detective Comics…) but still some very nice surprises and promises among the new DC craze…

Without further ado, here is my humble ranking of the week's No. 1s…

-Batwoman (4.5/5.0)…Sorely missed and highly awaited, from the Detective Comics run, this new series doesn't stop short of graphic beauty, keen storytelling (did not miss Greg Rucka, one of the main concerns fans had going into this one)…will definitely keep on my buy list, along with Animal Man, Swamp Thing, JLA, and a couple others so far…

-Resurrection Man (4.5/5.0)…this was my favorite mag of the week (I haven't seen Marvel stuff yet), but this creative team pulled off a really nice reincarnation of the old series (I am not so familiar with it), but don't feel we need any background on this one, with great storytelling, interesting characters and an all-out-war between heaven and hell for our hero´s Soul…who, BTW, can´t die…Cool!

-Green Lantern (4.0/5.0)…déjà vu of Ryan Reynolds, much? Great characterization of Hal Jordan (makes me forget all about the Parallax days and recent events too…this "grounded" works!), showing once again that this is not a reboot, since Star Zaphire existed, and the new twist on Sinestro sounds great…we were going crazy with all kinds of Lantern color rings…keep it simple, stupid…

-Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. (4.0/5.0)…had no expectations of all about this one, and I loved the characters, the storyline as well as the computer-style word boxes, a lot of mystery to come here, and a lot of fun too…That is one strange father you got, Frankie!

-Superboy (4.0/5.0)…If you had to reinvent the whole concept of Superboy, this would be the way to go (I felt like I was reading an "Ultimate Line" comic), the way they show Superboy´s evolution thoughout the magainze (including the Kansas story) makes me think these guys have got a nice plan for this title, I am looking forward to No. 2

-Batman & Robin (3.5/5.0)…I think we have all been a bit disappointed with all the Bat-titles so far (or is it just me?)…this one was OK, and with a better script than Detective Comics, but I felt the father-son relationship introduction was a bit forced, as were some of the dialogues (Does Damian imply that Batman was missing after Darkseid sent him travelling through time? How can we find out?), the villain seems interesting, one of the things I was glad about with a reboot was possibly losing the whole "Batman, Inc." concept, so if this guy kills them all off, why not?...

-Suicide Squad (3.5/5.0)…this title was one of my favorites with Gail Simone, and I feel they lost half the personality of the team with the new lineup, I am glad to see Harley Quinn in the band, but this is a whole different story. I felt I was reading a "Flashpoint" comic now, I couldn't feel it connecting to the other issues I have been reading. (SPOILER: How the heck are they going to pull off the cliffhanger and why?)

-Deathstroke (3.0/5.0)….another case when the story is better than the art, although I did dig Slade´s new uniform, the mission seemed a little far-fetched, and the supporting cast totally unnecessary, I did feel the last three pages made up for the whole issue, reminding us why Slade is still the baddest badass, Reboot or no reboot.

-Red Lanterns (2.5/5.0)…I was wondering if I were not a cat owner if I would have connected with anything at all about this issue (SPOILER?), I followed Attrocitus through all the Lantern sagas, and found a totally different and unnecessary character, it looks as if we are being pushed into a scenario where earth will have its first Red Lantern? (correct me if I´m wrong, please).

-Grifter (2.5/5.0)…Confusing storytelling (will need to read it again, as another fellow blogger mentioned about this mag) and made me feel I need to find out a little more about this character, this issue was not enough. Art very bland, I doubt I will be following this monthly.

-Mr. Terrific (2.5/5.0)…the third smartest man in the world travels to London…when? Why? Where is the rest of the J.S.A.?...and why does he want to kill the future president? I get a feeling too many of the writers of these No.1s felt forced to push unnecessary cliffhangers too soon in the series, I would have really preferred to have seen a J.S.A. No. 1

-Demon Knights (2.0/5.0)…very difficult to follow, very little to feel interested or enthusiastic about (I WAS looking forward to this one), I hope it improves with the following issues, at some point I felt I was reading "Dungeons and Dragons" or something along those lines (not there´s anything wrong with "D & D" haha)

-Legion Lost (2.0/5.0)….OK, it's the legion. And they´re lost. Wildfire lost his charm (no, wait he never had any) and his cool costume (another case where change is bad), totally uninteresting and by far one of the less appealing comics from the DC relaunch so far…but then again, maybe its just me 

Have you guys noticed the mysterious pink hooded lady from Flashpoint in every #1 issue of the new 52 so far?

this one:
2008109-lady_super.png

Last edited:
Batgirl was pretty good. I don't know what the story is behind her being able to walk again and it's kind of weird. I was under the impression that the Joker shooting would just kind of be erased from history but she clearly remembers it and recovered from it. Was it because of some kind of procedure or surgery? It didn't seem clear to me. I'm surprised at the raving reviews for this - I enjoyed it but I guess not as much as others did.

Frankenstein and Green Lantern were also good.

Batman and Robin was just off. I've said this before, probably several times, but I totally loved the dynamic between Dick and Damien in the first 15 or 16 issues of this book, and after that, it just sucked. This is no better. I can't really describe it; it just doesn't work.

Batwing, Hawk & Dove, Justice League International, OMAC, Red Lantern, and Static Shock all bored me. In fact, I fell asleep reading JLI.

Latest posts

Back