The Nightly News & other Jonathan Hickman books (please mark spoilers)

Re: The Nightly News (no spoilers yet)

Ok....wow.

I was not ready for that at all. I guess I was expecting something similar to DMZ......but this was just like a hard punch across the jaw telling you to wake up.

This book is awesome.

i heard that the writer of this is working on a project for marvel, what is his writing like?

He's got a website as well...

pronea

It isn't too extensive though.

Last edited:

Awesome. I thought it was delayed.

I wish more of you guys were reading this.

And you should read Fables.

Take that.

Read #3 today. It is screwed up.

Is it really only M-11 and me reading this? It's fantastic. I think TOG and VVD would like it...
Compound reads this. I am annoyed that he did not even point this series out to me.

Compound reads this. I am annoyed that he did not even point this series out to me.
I did! (By his own admission, Ourchair has the memory of a goldfish :roll: )

I am actually now in the habit of leaving totally slavish comments on the ComicSpace profiles of creators whose work I admire, especially if their stuff is over-looked and under-appreciated. This is what I told Nightly News series creator Jonathan Hickman via his ComicSpace page:

ipisdei (that's my name on CS) said:
I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I've been recommending The Nightly News to every person who I think will appreicate it. Usually, that means fans of DMZ, Channel Zero, V for Vendetta, The Losers (Diggle's version), and American Flagg. But it also includes non-comic readers who nevertheless appreciate stuff like culture jamming, political punditry, and media industry critique.

And yes, I do realize the comic is a bit of an "acquired taste", with the unconventional design and layout, the stylized artwork, and the fact-heavy blurbs. But all these flashy narrative devices act in the service of telling a gripping story. And that's what really matters.

It's to Hickman's credit that he's able to hold readers interests, in the absence of a "likeable" (or, for that matter, "relate-able") protagonist. I think a lot of people have felt wary of corporate globalization, at some point, even if we're not always sure how to articulate it. We've all experienced varying levels of disillusionment with the Powers That Be. And while few of us have probably gone as far as contemplating membership in a secretive cult of trained killers, it's easy enough to understand the sentiments that lead John to make that choice. We don't exactly sympathize with him, but we care about his fate, just the same. And that, to me, is just one indication of a story worth reading.

Last edited:

Nightly News is so great that it makes me ashamed that I'm part of the machine.

I did! (By his own admission, Ourchair has the memory of a goldfish :roll: )
No you didn't.

You brought it up AFTER you started being a comicspace whore.

Whore.

Wait, I said whore twice.

I'm such a whore.

No you didn't.

You brought it up AFTER you started being a comicspace whore.

Whore.

Wait, I said whore twice.

I'm such a whore.

I'm pretty sure you were with me when I bought #2, fool!

I think it was the same day you bought newuniversal #1.

Anyway, back on topic...

Last edited:

#6 came this week - anyone get it?

Awesome twist at the end. Totally didn't see that coming, although I feel like I should have.

I'm slightly disappointed that The Voice was such a weenie, but on the other hand that's kind of cool.

And I absolutely love how it was set up for a sequel.

This seriously is one of the best minis ever made.

In case I forgot to mention it, I'm getting this when the trade comes out.

Whenever that is...

In case I forgot to mention it, I'm getting this when the trade comes out.

Whenever that is...

Amazon has it as shipping at the end of July. That doesn't necessarily mean anything though.

Latest posts

Back