The Nightly News & other Jonathan Hickman books (please mark spoilers)

Re: The Nightly News (no spoilers yet)

I read the first issue.

And it took me awhile to read it.

This isn't a comic you can speed through. There's so much detail in everything in it, so many hidden things.

So far, the story seems interesting to say the least.

It blew my mind.

....and made me wanna take down the govt.

Last edited:

The trade is great as it comes with an index with all his small references and information sources for us stupid people.

The trade is great as it comes with an index with all his small references and information sources for us stupid people.

*drools on keyboard*

This series kinda failed to hold my interest, not because of any flaw in the concept, or storyline, or approach to the narrative...

What ultimately made me deprioritize it was the fact that I could bring myself to care about any of the characters, not least the cipher of a protagonist.

I realize Hickman was kinda going for the Bitter Everyguy slant, but he was ultimately just too bland for me to care about.

Lord knows that i've enjoyed plenty of other books with horribly unsympathetic lead characters (Wanted most immediately comes to mind, but there's also American Virgin). But even in those titles, I felt invested enough in the storyline to want to know how things would play out, despite the fact that I didn't feel a connection to their protagonists' ultimate fate.

And it's a shame, really, because I share most of the protagonist's fundamental suspicions and misgivings, even if I'd never act on them the way in the radical way that he does.

Am I the only person who found this a stumbling block to fully appreciating the series?

Yeah, I had that problem too. There was no one to get attached too.

Once I got who the Voice was (In the middle of the fifth issue for me) I just felt the story fell apart.

The whole deprogrammed thing, followed by a reprogramming thing, was stupid.

Overall, I felt the story was decent, I loved the art.

I finished it.

In the TPB, there is a section devoted to how Jonathan Hickman broke into comics. It's funny, he mentions it's easier for artists than writers to break into comics.

He also has al these things about hidden stuff in the book. So if you are a big fan of this book, I suggest getting the TPB>

I felt the story lacked a main character overall to become attached too. The character you end up following is a ****ing pansy. I didn't like him as a person at all.

Like I said before, decent story, but great art.

I finished it.

In the TPB, there is a section devoted to how Jonathan Hickman broke into comics. It's funny, he mentions it's easier for artists than writers to break into comics.
It's very true. It's why the big artists in the industry are generally a lot younger than the big writers.

Finished the trade last Saturday. Took my time reading it as it's something you definitely can't (and shouldn't) rush through.

It was a great read. I really enjoyed how Hickman told the story in both art and how the comic was written. It's was nice to see a comic that's not told in "traditional" ways.

Someone had asked Hickman at the Heroes Con Marvel panel if he would do something like this in some future Marvel work. I can't remember his answer, but I think he said it was a possibility.

Someone had asked Hickman at the Heroes Con Marvel panel if he would do something like this in some future Marvel work. I can't remember his answer, but I think he said it was a possibility.

Actually he said he would like too, but he doubted Marvel would let him, though they did let him do the Secret Files in the back of Secret Warriors.

I'm retitleing and repurposing this thread to include all of Hickman's creator-owned books.

Comixology has several Hickman #1s for free - not sure if that is temporary or not so you might want to grab them. I downloaded Red Wing #1 (which I couldn't download and haven't read yet), A Red Mass For Mars #1, and Pax Romana #1.

A Red Mass For Mars was ok...I couldn't really get into it and probably won't continue with it.

Pax Romana, however, was really great and I hope to finish the mini this weekend. It's about time travel, but specifically as it relates to changing or fixing the past and future. The twist is that the technology was developed by the Catholic church, who decide to keep things quiet and go back in time to fix several wrongs.

Has anyone else read these books?

I finished Pax Romana and it was pretty good. The tone was a lot like Earth X, which surprised me, and the ending had a very Nightly News feel to it. Hickman has said that the "universe" it happens in is ripe for additional stories so he might revisit it in the future.

Also it seemed like this was made to tie in to A Red Mass For Mars but I can't find anything supporting that. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Did it really take me 5 years to read The Nightly News?

Really?

I'm dissapointed in myself.

It was good. It was angry at everything that lulls us into complacancy. Thats good, even if i find myself complacent.

E, you're spot on with the fight club comparison. Its not that they're the same, but they speak to the same part of us, the part that wants a different world and the external forces that are telling us to settle.

We should NEVER settle.

It was good.

I need to do something.

E, you're spot on with the fight club comparison. Its not that they're the same, but they speak to the same part of us, the part that wants a different world and the external forces that are telling us to settle.

Yes - THAT'S what I was trying to say.

Pax Romana has some of the same tone but it's not nearly as preachy or activist. I liked it and would recommend it. I hope he does continue with stories from that universe.

Did anyone read Secret? It was ok...nothing that makes me happy he's leaving Fantastic Four.

Did anyone read Secret? It was ok...nothing that makes me happy he's leaving Fantastic Four.

Its no The Manhattan Projects. I mean I'll keep up with it, but there wasn't any of what I expect from Hickman. It was more like David Hine's Marvel work.

Latest posts

Back