The Ultimate End..... for real?

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=134675

Marvel Comics is gearing up for a big Ultimate Universe winter with the release of the Ultimate Marvel Free Sampler. Solicited in the December Marvel catalog, the special is a sneak peek for comic book readers and retailers of upcoming titles, including December's Ultimates 3 #1 and January's Ultimate Iron Man II #1 and Ultimate Human #1. But it's what these titles are leading up to (at least according to Diamond) that might be of new interest to Marvel followers.

The original catalog solicitation promises "the Ultimate Universe will never be the same", and since this summer readers have known about Jeph Loeb's mysterious upcoming Ultimatum crossover. While the writer hasn't revealed much in the way of specific information about that storyline, he has gone so far as to use the word "end" in relation to its effect on the Marvel Ultimate Universe.

"Expect the Unexpected. And the End is Near...Nearer...," he told us in July.

Diamond, however, got a little more specific Tuesday in their solicitation for the sampler on its retailer website.

"Boasting an all-new David Finch cover," reads the solicitation, "this special issue previews Ultimates 3 #1, Ultimate Iron Man II #1, Ultimate Human #1 and other upcoming books leading up to next year's cataclysmic destruction of the Ultimate Universe!"

Well, it would be in line with the supposed cancellation of Ultimate X-men and Ultimates 4, I guess.

But, didn't Mark Millar and Byran Hitch say they wanted to do another Ultimates arc eventually?

I'm thinking reboot, not destruction.

I would be all for Crisis on infinite marvels.

here's my pics.

Wolverine - Ultimate. Main reason, slick back pony tail and motorcycle = HOT!
Hulk - I'd actually like to see both since 616 is now a king on another planet. alas there will be controversy and if you want cleanup yada yada. i would go with Original mainly because he got interesting again.
cap - ultimate for obvious reasons...tight butt. booyah. no but srsly, 616 = dead.
Avengers/Ultimates - A mix of both but for namesake, ultimates. instead of new and mighty. new becomes avengers and mighty becomes ultimates.
doc strange - 616 because ultimate one is gay. but, you could make ultimate one the son since he lost his father or something. not sure
xmen - combo of both. ult cykes, ult jean, 616 iceman, ult colossus, 616 kitty, ult psylocke since 616 has died like twent times. ult X, ult cable, 616 deadpool have him murder, yes murder, ult DP. AoA sabretooth. 616 Emma frost, 616 beast
Punisher - MAX, but have him in his own continuity away from EvERYTHING! and no pun in new universe cuz it'll suck ***.
DD- aren't they the same?
iron Man - ult tony b/c drunk people liven the party.
Thor - Don't know enough about old Thor really and i really like ult Thor.
Spiderman - Both. I do this only to save us all the trouble b/c we all know there will be another clone saga in the future. Why not just have them team up and make it believable, in cont. and done with. plus you might get some good stories out of 616 spidey teaching ult. spidey and learning from each other. it would be like what if link and lil link met each other. awesomeness. same things could go for ult/616 jess drew but a little different since one is a spy etc. I will elaborate more when i get home b/c it's hard to type this much without "looking" busy at my desk.

There is no way this is the end! I refuse to believe it!

I will hate Jeph Loeb forever if he ends the ultimate universe!

Bye bye comic collecting,which would seriously annoy me :(

There is no way this is the end! I refuse to believe it!

I will hate Jeph Loeb forever if he ends the ultimate universe!

Bye bye comic collecting,which would seriously annoy me :(

If the extent of your comic collecting begins and ends with the UU.....you are missing out on a lot of great stuff.

The only good book in the UU right now is USM. And that's only gotten good withing the past 3 months. Up until then it was a steaming bowl of ****.

Trust us when we say that the UU ending is a good thing.

This sucks , I love Ultimate Spider-man , Hopefully "the end" isn't the end of the universe completely. I wont read 616 Spider-man (current) much as a)new venom sucks b)hes unmasked c) its just gotten stupid IMO since civil war.

If the extent of your comic collecting begins and ends with the UU.....you are missing out on a lot of great stuff.

The only good book in the UU right now is USM. And that's only gotten good withing the past 3 months. Up until then it was a steaming bowl of ****.

Is it eerie that it got good once Ultimates ended?

I prefer UU over 616 - its what got me back into comics. I consider Ultimates 1 and 2 a 'classic' (maybe a bit premature, but it was an experience like no other)... and I've got comics from the 60's in my collection !??! :)

I prefer UU over 616 - its what got me back into comics. I consider Ultimates 1 and 2 a 'classic' (maybe a bit premature, but it was an experience like no other)... and I've got comics from the 60's in my collection !??! :)

Ditto dude , I loved comics but the Ultimate universe got me collecting a series again (besides star wars and transformers) I think once the ultimate universe ends i'll probably stop reading or buying any comics (besides star wars and transformers).

If the Ultimate U ends. . .I'll probably just stick to Vertigo, Hellboy/BPRD and Buffy/Angel.

Because, honestly, I can't be bothered with the continuities of mainstream Marvel and DC.

Yeah I don't doubt you at all, and I have read from a broad spectrum of 616 titles, but I know the continuity of the Ultimate comics because I've collected them from the start and I just wont be able to slot into 616, because i'm a continuity nut!

I've mightily enjoyed the Ultimate Universe for what it's been!
And as someone who barely knew anything about Marvel other than their "famous" characters in 2000 its done a brilliant job of keeping me hooked!

Even stories like the clone saga in USM were enjoyable for me as a "new" reader and to be honest I cant wait for each issue to arrive!

Obviously my point MAY fall apart on the whole "continuity" thing but I've overlooked the few GLARING errors and concentrated on the stories!

Long running, intertwining stories are what I really enjoy and if Marvel whip this away I'll be gutted!

At least I'll still have Star Wars, that baby will never end :lol:

I love how Beast is blue again, and the Thing is not wearing his Ultimate uniform

Marvel editors, FTW!

Also, Storm has 616 hair and I'm 45% sure she's in the wrong uniform along with Cap or Wolverine and speaking of Wolverine he sucks in every universe and isn't as important or as ubiquitous in the UU, thank God, so it should really be Nick Fury in his place and Sue is using Reed as a stripper pole and I could go on but I really need to take a breath.

Also, Storm has 616 hair and I'm 45% sure she's in the wrong uniform along with Cap or Wolverine and speaking of Wolverine he sucks in every universe and isn't as important or as ubiquitous in the UU, thank God, so it should really be Nick Fury in his place and Sue is using Reed as a stripper pole and I could go on but I really need to take a breath.
Allow me to address your concerns in order.

It's a wig. She kept the old costume in storage. Cap changed into his summer wardrobe. You are too young to be using the word ubiquitous. Nick Fury is already set up in some prime real estate. There is nothing wrong with Sue working a stripper pole. And breathing is for chumps.

And.

I'm.

Spent.

Latest posts

Back